Biology undergrad programs in Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KRiv

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the moment I'm looking at Pre-Professional Biology at UCF but I would like to know about any other good biology programs in Florida. I'm looking at FSU but I don't know much about it. I wonder if getting an undergrad degree at UCF would help getting into the new UCF med school? Not sure on that one.

Members don't see this ad.

I completed my BS in Biology at FSU. I had wonderful teachers and great opportunities. If you want to do research to strengthen your application to med school, it's definitely available to all students and is not overly difficult to get involved in. The campus has a great feel and the libraries are great for studying.

As far as going to UCF to get into their med school...well, many students think they will ALWAYS get an interview at the med school they went to undergrad at. While most of my FSU classmates got interviews at FSU, there were quite a few who I thought would get interviews and didn't. Anyways, just work really hard during college (gpa, MCAT, volunteer) and you won't have a problem getting into any FL school.

Hi,
I will be starting at UCF this fall. My major is Biology (pre-professional track). I recieved my AA at the communty college first, so I really can't tell you much about UCF in terms of what it's like...however, I did make an attempt to go to UF earlier this year, and I have to say that I liked UCF a LOT more. No true reason, just a vibe. UF is a lot more uptight than UCF. At UF they tell you they want to get you OUT of there ASAP. They seemed pretty anal about how many credits you took and which classes you took and if you were "on track," versus UCF actually told us that we'll probably end up taking a bit longer to graduate than the "2 years" that we're supposed to take (remember, I'm an AA transfer student). The reason they say it will take longer has a little bit to do with the availability of the courses we need to take, but it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue if you register early. They didn't care if we were there as full time students or not, if we take some more classes at CC or not...they're really relaxed about it all. I know this because I went to orientation for both schools. Oh, one more thing, if you're a transfer student, at UF it's hell to change your major if you choose to do so, versus at UCF they don't give a crap.

Hope that gives you a little bit of useful information. I chose UCF, I liked it a lot more, plus I like Orlando a lot more than Gainesville (I was born and raised in Orlando, lived in Gainesville for 4 months this year).

As for medical school, I'm THRILLED about UCF's new school.

UCF and UF don't get along too well, so I've heard...it seems that not too many UCF pre-meds are accepted to the UF medical school. If you go to UCF, this is just my OPINION, I think that it probably would enhance your chance of being accepted by their med school, not significantly, but atleast a bit, provided you do well and all. That's politics for ya.

If you are a freshman, there is a program between UCF and USF's medical school, some kind of agreement you should look into. I think you'd have to be in the honors program, but basically USF med school kinda accepts you from the get-go.

Well, that's my 2 cents...best of luck with your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a graduate of UCF but as a statisitcs major. I know for a fact that to chance your major all you have to do is go to the building which houses the music department, get a form and that is it! You can change your major anytime.

However, you MUST REGISTER EARLY FOR CLASSES. Some are only offered once a year, and that is why the school has always gotten the nickname "U Can't Finish (UCF)". Gainesville's classes are offered more often. So be careful of this. Also, I am sure that this happens at both schools but Chemistry II, is a major weedout class taught by Ms. Swanson. The questions are not hard but worded in a tricky manner (and there are only 25 multiple choice questions on each exam, so very easy to get a low score). So be careful.
And also the class notes are a lot more important than the book.

I forgot to tell you one other thing.

If UCF did not have the new med school, I would go to UF instead.

Why? The USF spots are reserved for those in the honors program, you cannot apply to the honors program as a transfer unless your community college is in the local area even if you have a 4.0 GPA, or transferred from another four-year school in Florida with 4.0

So you better go to UCF out of high school if you want to take advantage of the joint acceptance to USF med school.

Otherwise I would say to definitely go to UF. Also, UNF in Jacksonville has a good pre-professional biology program that not too many people know about. But it is quite good.

cdpiano27 said:
I am a graduate of UCF but as a statisitcs major. I know for a fact that to chance your major all you have to do is go to the building which houses the music department, get a form and that is it! You can change your major anytime.

However, you MUST REGISTER EARLY FOR CLASSES. Some are only offered once a year, and that is why the school has always gotten the nickname "U Can't Finish (UCF)". Gainesville's classes are offered more often. So be careful of this. Also, I am sure that this happens at both schools but Chemistry II, is a major weedout class taught by Ms. Swanson. The questions are not hard but worded in a tricky manner (and there are only 25 multiple choice questions on each exam, so very easy to get a low score). So be careful.
And also the class notes are a lot more important than the book.

Are you serious about Chem II? Man, I'm going to DIE. I think that if that's the case, I'm dropping it and taking it at VCC. Mr. Melone (at VCC) screwed me over, because I took Chem I with him, and then attempted Chem II at Santa Fe Community College...I was failing miserably because I hadn't learned anything in Chem I, our teacher sucked sooo much. I'm registered for Chem II (not the lab though) for this fall at UCF and now you've got me freaking out.

I'm currently in UCF my fourth year. UCF has a good program with Molecular Biology and Microbiology. This program would prepare us better for medical school considering the requirement of the major. As far as applying to UCF for a better chance into their medical school is somewhat not true. I've looked into their proposals and their first year of acceptance in 2008 will be 13 UCF graduates of that year, 20 other Florida students and 7 misc for a total of 40. Now the total number will increase year by year until they max out to 120. Regardless, I think UCF has a very good premed program.

If any of you need help or advice for classes at UCF, just email me at [email protected]. I'd be glad to help.

There is and always will be only one "U"...UM all the way!

Thanks for the info everybody. I think UCF will be the way to go for me. It just makes sense because I am going to DBCC(daytona beach) at the moment and they work alot with UCF and also have a sub-campus on the dbcc campus. Plus its only a hour away from home. I still am going to look into FSU and see if they can make me change.

I am a Biotechnology major at FGCU, and I love it! I started last year after getting my AA at a community college, and by the middle of my first semester I was already doing research! The classes are small, 15-30 students, the professors are awesome and the campus is so pretty. :)
Also, starting this fall, FGCU will have a joint degree with USF medical school, but I dont know too much about it.
Good Luck!

stylerprodigy said:
I'm currently in UCF my fourth year. UCF has a good program with Molecular Biology and Microbiology. This program would prepare us better for medical school considering the requirement of the major. As far as applying to UCF for a better chance into their medical school is somewhat not true. I've looked into their proposals and their first year of acceptance in 2008 will be 13 UCF graduates of that year, 20 other Florida students and 7 misc for a total of 40. Now the total number will increase year by year until they max out to 120. Regardless, I think UCF has a very good premed program.

If any of you need help or advice for classes at UCF, just email me at [email protected]. I'd be glad to help.

Hey man I'm gonna shoot you an e-mail as I am also going to UCF as a m+m major starting this fall.

UF has the best comprehensive biology undergrad. Its very impersonal and the labs are horrendous, but it teaches you the most.

Something to think about as far as UCF medical school. It took FSU's medical school quite a long to get accredited, and the same might happen with UCF. Ask yourself if its worth going to a college to have a better chance at getting into a medical school that isn't accredited and hoping while your a student it recieves the accreditation.