Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben26TPA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I am a bit confused as far as the biology pre-reqs go for med school.

Which biology class or classes should I take? I understand that you need a year of biology, but I don't see anything like a biology I and II offered at my school.

Sorry if this sounds dumb but I'm kinda lost here and I just want to register for the right classes. Thanks for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

Look for zoology and botany courses. They tend to have labs, and those are usually two of the three quarter length classes you take. The other class, general biology should have a lab too. Very strange that your school does not have a lab.

Make sure lab classes actually COUNT as pre-reqs. Some schools like UCSF will not allow certain courses. While some schools may allow advanced classes to be substituted such as at Harvard.

May also be helpful to see if your school has a pre-med advisor. They would have to know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the info.

I will be a transfer student from a CC to my university so I have not yet had the opportunity to meet with the pre-med advisor.

My university does offer those courses but I was a bit confused because I thought there was a General Biology I and II course offered like the Gen Chem course.

So if I am understanding this right, I just take a years worth of any Bio classes and that should meet the requirements? Since I've already taken Micro all I need is another semesters worth of Biology right? Any imput as to what Bio classes would be most helpful?

Thanks so much for the info.

I will be a transfer student from a CC to my university so I have not yet had the opportunity to meet with the pre-med advisor.

My university does offer those courses but I was a bit confused because I thought there was a General Biology I and II course offered like the Gen Chem course.

So if I am understanding this right, I just take a years worth of any Bio classes and that should meet the requirements? Since I've already taken Micro all I need is another semesters worth of Biology right? Any imput as to what Bio classes would be most helpful?

No, as stated you talk to you pre-med adviser, and search the various med schools you want to apply too regarding their admissions policies. Microbiology IS NOT biology in terms of pre-med requirements. It might have the word biology in it, but for most med schools, it won't cut it. Microbiology, genetics, biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, etc tend to not count towards the pre-med bio requirement. They help for the MCAT though.

Again, look at what the pre-med requirements say. University of California require 1 year of lower division biology with lab. At every school that i've been to, that usually entails "general biology, zoology, and botany". You have to check with your school on WHAT to take if you are a pre-med, and correlate that with the med schools you want to go to. Not all pre-med advisers are all knowing since there may be some variability between med schools. One person on SDN thought they were OK with their bio requirement by taking microbiology, but realized at the last minute that UCSF did not accept that course.

No, as stated you talk to you pre-med adviser, and search the various med schools you want to apply too regarding their admissions policies. Microbiology IS NOT biology in terms of pre-med requirements. It might have the word biology in it, but for most med schools, it won't cut it. Microbiology, genetics, biochemistry, physiology, molecular biology, etc tend to not count towards the pre-med bio requirement. They help for the MCAT though.

Again, look at what the pre-med requirements say. University of California require 1 year of lower division biology with lab. At every school that i've been to, that usually entails "general biology, zoology, and botany". You have to check with your school on WHAT to take if you are a pre-med, and correlate that with the med schools you want to go to. Not all pre-med advisers are all knowing since there may be some variability between med schools. One person on SDN thought they were OK with their bio requirement by taking microbiology, but realized at the last minute that UCSF did not accept that course.

Thanks very much for the info. I will be getting together with my school's pre-med advisor the minute I can.

As far as the biology classes go, which did you find to be the most useful or helpful in regards to the MCAT?

If you are unsure what the general Biology courses are called, you might try looking at the degree requirements for Biology majors. The first two Biology courses that Bio. majors take are usually the ones that you need. But, it wouldn't hurt to talk to a pre-med advisor, as well.