Biomedical/Computer Engineering courses on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSMSMD

Reaction score
Hello all,

I will be taking classes at a local university to fulfill a Biomedical or Computer Engineering MS. I am interested in entering the R&D sector for medical devices (particularly imaging), and wanted to give this a shot before committing myself fully to medicine. However, should I ever be dissatisfied with my new career, I want to make sure I make it easier for myself to pivot back into premed.

Both the BME and CE will allow me to do what I want to do, but I want to know how medical schools will classify both of these programs. CE is based off of electrical engineering and computer science, and it may be classified as "engineering" on AMCAS right, but what about BME? A lot of it is biology, so could it be classified as BCPM? If so, then is it more advantageous for me to go the BME route if I were to eventually be premed?

Perhaps this is me being neurotic and that it doesn't matter, but I would appreciate any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Classes from neither will count if taken at the graduate level for a master's degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took some economics classes that I was able to get classified as math courses since they were entirely math based, and got some psych courses classified as bio since they were no different from most bio classes. List your courses honestly on AMCAS and the worst thing that can happen is they change the course's classification.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hello all,

I will be taking classes at a local university to fulfill a Biomedical or Computer Engineering MS. I am interested in entering the R&D sector for medical devices (particularly imaging), and wanted to give this a shot before committing myself fully to medicine. However, should I ever be dissatisfied with my new career, I want to make sure I make it easier for myself to pivot back into premed.

Both the BME and CE will allow me to do what I want to do, but I want to know how medical schools will classify both of these programs. CE is based off of electrical engineering and computer science, and it may be classified as "engineering" on AMCAS right, but what about BME? A lot of it is biology, so could it be classified as BCPM? If so, then is it more advantageous for me to go the BME route if I were to eventually be premed?

Perhaps this is me being neurotic and that it doesn't matter, but I would appreciate any input.
Undergraduate classes in physics, math, chemistry, organic chemistry, biology and biochemistry will count toward your undergraduate science GPA regardless of the sponsoring department.

For undergrad classes like circuits and thermodynamics, you’d have to make the case that it’s really applied physics or applied chemistry if it gets challenged by the course verifying agency.

You’re allowed to classify undergrad classes as biology, chemistry, physics or math as you see fit subject to challenge and verification at the time of application.

Grad classes don’t count toward undergrad GPA.