Jan 20, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello all,

Just curious on a response on one of my secondaries. I am currently pursing a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Would this be considered a science major to medical schools? I understand the "Bachelor of Science" prefix, but this does not seem to be science as defined by AMCAS. So I was wondering if I should classify myself as having a science major or not.

Thanks to whomever helps.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It doesn't matter. Just do well.

gonnif

Only 389 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Hello all,

Just curious on a response on one of my secondaries. I am currently pursing a Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering. Would this be considered a science major to medical schools? I understand the "Bachelor of Science" prefix, but this does not seem to be science as defined by AMCAS. So I was wondering if I should classify myself as having a science major or not.

Thanks to whomever helps.
There is NO sciences as defined by AMCAS despite what premeds think. They defined BCPM versus ALL OTHER. Those definitions are used by AMCAS to standardized GPA calculations so medical schools can compare applicants from the different UG institutions

Science in a Secondary is defined by the medical school which usually is the "standard" meaning of science as would be used at any university.

Example: A Math major would have most of their primary coursework in AMCAS in BCPM, but they are not a science major
A Geology major would have much of their primary course not included in BCPM, but they are a science major

So in the end, do you think you are a science major? Would you consider engineering a science? I would for all intents and purposes