Biomedical engineering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stupibname

king of finite spaces
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken Biomedical Engineering and then gone on to medical school. I was looking over UVA's biomedical engineering program and there does not seem to be any way to fit in 2 years of chemistry, 1 year of bio, and 1 year of english. Does this mean I would have to take the majority of these classes over summer school to fulfill all the premed requirements? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

stupibname said:
Has anyone taken Biomedical Engineering and then gone on to medical school. I was looking over UVA's biomedical engineering program and there does not seem to be any way to fit in 2 years of chemistry, 1 year of bio, and 1 year of english. Does this mean I would have to take the majority of these classes over summer school to fulfill all the premed requirements? :confused:

A lot of people do biomedical engineering. It will pretty much satisfy all of your requirements for med school. Plus, its more fun because you take a lot more math.

There are soooo many threads on BME. Do a search.

And yes, plenty of us have done biomedical engineering and gone onto med school. You can fit in chem, bio, and english into your schedule. At Hopkins, we actually had our own bio courses w/ an engineering slant, but some of my friends took the real bio courses and had no problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
stupibname said:

All those courses (except for english) are requirements for that major at my school. But Bio E. is really intense (and one of the funner engineering majors)

riceman04 said:
All those courses (except for english) are requirements for that major at my school. But Bio E. is really intense (and one of the funner engineering majors)

Yeah. Usually you'd think theres a trade off...that people that are good at bio, would suck at math or physics. Oh hell no, these people are monsters that are good at everything. bioE = evil :thumbdown:

Phased said:
Yeah. Usually you'd think theres a trade off...that people that are good at bio, would suck at math or physics. Oh hell no, these people are monsters that are good at everything. bioE = evil :thumbdown:

Who believes in these trade-offs? Its like people who say "even though this guy has better grades than me, i'm sure he wont make a very good doctor, because his clinical skills will be worse" .. if you're smart, you're smart. it applies everywhere, and some people are good at everything.

you shouldn't have to take too many classes other than those required for your major. premed advisors will tell you all kinds of crazy stuff, but remember your biomedical engineering classes can potentially count as upper level bios, a tech. writing class could count as an english class, etc.

Ross434 said:
Who believes in these trade-offs? Its like people who say "even though this guy has better grades than me, i'm sure he wont make a very good doctor, because his clinical skills will be worse" .. if you're smart, you're smart. it applies everywhere, and some people are good at everything.

I believe in trade offs. Biology and applied math are two totally different things, that require totally different study approaches. People that excel at both are extremely talented people. Smart doesn't apply everywhere.

I was a BME major and have been accepted to med school. At my school "premed" was option that BME majors could choose and allowed us to fit bio, chem, o-chem and biochem into our schedules. Yes you will have to take all the prereqs so if your school doesn't already include them in the curriculum you would have to load up your semesters or do summers.