Biomedical Engineering adding to Med School Class Diversity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lil’King

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to brainstorm ways in which a student with a bachelor's in Biomedical Engineering would add to the diversity of the medical school class in a positive way.

In practice, it could be beneficial to assess the clinical relevance of novel medical devices, technological integration, or new approaches to providing treatments for patients with unmet medical needs.

I'm thinking it could be an asset to the class, as biomedical engineers are trained problem-solvers, conceptualize medical cases systematically, and could add value to medical discussions via different modes of thinking which may illuminate different ways to approach or treat medical cases.

If there are any biomedical engineering grads out there that are applying or are already in school, I would love your input on your thoughts and experiences of how you feel like your degree has benefited you/added to the class. I feel like this is something that seems obvious for BME grads but not so much for schools with limited BME exposure. However, when I sit down to type and sell it I have a hard time putting it into words.

Members don't see this ad.

As Goro would say, you should approach this as “What’s cool about you?”

Your major is not something that’s cool or interesting, especially when it’s Biomedical Engineering.

Reactions: 1 users
Not if your secondary is for Carle where everyone's an engineer or very mathematically/technically educated. :)

Yeah, I agree... what's cool about you? What makes you an inspiration to others?

Reactions: 1 users