Biomedical Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kamasan2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering be good enough to get me into Dental School? A friend of mine told me that biomedical engineering is a fast growing field, I just want to know whether i can still have the option of getting into dental school with biomedical engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

Can a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering be good enough to get me into Dental School? A friend of mine told me that biomedical engineering is a fast growing field, I just want to know whether i can still have the option of getting into dental school with biomedical engineering.

Absolutely. Three of my future 2011 classmates have BME degrees. Also this guy did biomedical engineering undergrad.

Not only does it better prepare you for dental school but you can get a real job when you graduate in case you change your mind about dental school. I am NOT a biomedical engineer myself (did a lame chemistry undergrad) but wish that I took BME instead (and considered switching at one point until I learned it would set me back from graduating by 2 years :laugh: )

honestly bme was one of the best things i've done. sure it may be harder, and you may learn some irrelevant information to dentistry (i just took a fluid dynamics midterm now, when am i ever gonna use that huh?) but i think i learned critical skills in the major. it teaches you to think in a different way, and tackle problems differently. and honestly, after bme, every other disciple (except for maybe computer science) becomes pretty easy to grasp. so i'd suggest it, even though it may be harder. and its helps make you a distinct applicant...many of my interviewers brought that up during the interview, and they were interested in an applicant with a slightly different background. so go for it. its good for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, engineers are consistently the highest major to be accepted to dental school. Last cycle is was 66% of engineer applicants were accepted, and the next highest was 54% or 55%. I don't remember the exact number, but check your ADEA official guide to dentistry book and it says it in a table for the first few chapters.

FYI, engineers are consistently the highest major to be accepted to dental school. Last cycle is was 66% of engineer applicants were accepted, and the next highest was 54% or 55%. I don't remember the exact number, but check your ADEA official guide to dentistry book and it says it in a table for the first few chapters.

they like us in dental school

honestly bme was one of the best things i've done. sure it may be harder, and you may learn some irrelevant information to dentistry (i just took a fluid dynamics midterm now, when am i ever gonna use that huh?) but i think i learned critical skills in the major. it teaching you to think in a different way, and tackle problems differently. and honestly, after bme, every other disciple (except for maybe computer science) becomes pretty easy to grasp. so i'd suggest it, even though it may be harder. and its helps make you a distinct applicant...many of my interviewers brought that up during the interview, and they were interested in an applicant with a slightly different background. so go for it. its good for you.

Hey pacbum, did you finally make the big decision?

And was that midterm a Doozy or what !!:eek: .. soo glad the professor feels our pain! As i handed back the exam to him today.. he looked worried and told me to relax, said I had stuff written down so i should be just fine.. :p..

Hey pacbum, did you finally make the big decision?

And was that midterm a Doozy or what !!:eek: .. soo glad the professor feels our pain! As i handed back the exam to him today.. he looked worried and told me to relax, said I had stuff written down so i should be just fine.. :p..

yup, just decided this week. i'm officially a bruin. so i guess we'll be future rivals...haha. i hear ucla and usc dental do a lot together in terms of community activities. but any other news on the waitlist schools?

and that midterm was ridiculous... but it's nice not to have to care anymore though. the material is interesting but i'm just so unmotivated to try to learn the derivations and math when i know we'll never need it. at least we can sketch the velocity profile for a suction tip now...haha.