*Biomedical Engineers!* Which courses in the major count in sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ch0sen1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which classes will apply towards the science GPA since we are in the engineering field?

Classes I was wondering about were:

Human Physiology for Engineers
Biophysics (in the engineering)
Biomolecular Engineering
Biomaterials
Systems Physiology
Functional Anatomy
And anymore, just list them..

Members don't see this ad.

I am a biomedical engineer and the best part about what counts in your sciGPA and what doesn't is up to you. When you fill out your AMCAS you designate which is which and for many of my bioengineering classes I either classified them as biology, chemistry, or physics. For example, my heat and mass transfer class was a differential equations based physics class, so I put that down as physics on my AMCAS (also because I got an A in it). I got a B in bioelectronics (which I could have classified as physics), but I didn't include that in my BCPM GPA and the AAMC didn't give two ****s. I think you largely have control over what you choose is BCPM and what isn't but remember they can change whatever they want once you submit it for verification (they didn't for me).

As for the classes you listed here are what I classified them under (as I took either the exact same class or an analogous class with a different name):

Human Physiology for Engineers - BIOLOGY
Biophysics (in the engineering) - PHYSICS
Biomolecular Engineering - CHEMISTRY
Biomaterials - CHEMISTRY
Systems Physiology - I couldn't classify this as any so I kept it as an engineering course
Functional Anatomy - BIOLOGY

I guess another good rule of thumb is to just think it through as you're taking the class. I remember for my Molecular Physical Chemistry class I thought it would be very rigorous math-based physically-oriented class but it turned out to be more chemical theory than I thought, so I classified it as chemistry and AMCAS approved of it.

Bottom line: you have a lot of leeway as a biomedical engineer so feel free to classify as you wish because AMCAS probably won't question it (they won't have time to). Also good luck buddy, so far all the schools I have interviewed at just love biomedical engineers. Ace the MCAT and you are set.

I am a biomedical engineer and the best part about what counts in your sciGPA and what doesn't is up to you. When you fill out your AMCAS you designate which is which and for many of my bioengineering classes I either classified them as biology, chemistry, or physics. For example, my heat and mass transfer class was a differential equations based physics class, so I put that down as physics on my AMCAS (also because I got an A in it). I got a B in bioelectronics (which I could have classified as physics), but I didn't include that in my BCPM GPA and the AAMC didn't give two ****s. I think you largely have control over what you choose is BCPM and what isn't but remember they can change whatever they want once you submit it for verification (they didn't for me).

As for the classes you listed here are what I classified them under (as I took either the exact same class or an analogous class with a different name):

Human Physiology for Engineers - BIOLOGY
Biophysics (in the engineering) - PHYSICS
Biomolecular Engineering - CHEMISTRY
Biomaterials - CHEMISTRY
Systems Physiology - I couldn't classify this as any so I kept it as an engineering course
Functional Anatomy - BIOLOGY

I guess another good rule of thumb is to just think it through as you're taking the class. I remember for my Molecular Physical Chemistry class I thought it would be very rigorous math-based physically-oriented class but it turned out to be more chemical theory than I thought, so I classified it as chemistry and AMCAS approved of it.

Bottom line: you have a lot of leeway as a biomedical engineer so feel free to classify as you wish because AMCAS probably won't question it (they won't have time to). Also good luck buddy, so far all the schools I have interviewed at just love biomedical engineers. Ace the MCAT and you are set.

Wow...that is some good news, and very good information!

Fantastic Reply..

Members don't see this ad :)

Fantastic Reply..

unless you are applying to TMDSAS, in which case all engineering courses count in science GPA (unless its a course like engineering communications or something like that)

Fantastic Reply..

Yea brother, if you need any kind of biomedical engineering-specific advice feel free to hit me up. That goes for anybody else out there in SDN-ville. I personally think biomedical engineers are much better equipped to handle the rigors of med school than most traditional biology majors (again: personal bias). Our work load is not only more conceptually difficult to master, but we get a giant volume of it in such a short period of time. Also I think being a biomedical engineer is THE BEST mcat "prep-course" one can take. Not only will you learn high-level biology, but you will absolutely master the **** out of physics. Physics will be your bitch. Lastly, being an engineer teaches you how to approach and solve problems, which I believe the memorize-and-regurgitate biology majors are terrible at. To those thinking of quoting me and calling me an *******: yes I am and again, this is just my personal bias.

Yea brother, if you need any kind of biomedical engineering-specific advice feel free to hit me up. That goes for anybody else out there in SDN-ville. I personally think biomedical engineers are much better equipped to handle the rigors of med school than most traditional biology majors (again: personal bias). Our work load is not only more conceptually difficult to master, but we get a giant volume of it in such a short period of time. Also I think being a biomedical engineer is THE BEST mcat "prep-course" one can take. Not only will you learn high-level biology, but you will absolutely master the **** out of physics. Physics will be your bitch. Lastly, being an engineer teaches you how to approach and solve problems, which I believe the memorize-and-regurgitate biology majors are terrible at. To those thinking of quoting me and calling me an *******: yes I am and again, this is just my personal bias.

Took the words right out of my mouth :)