Biomedical Science, Chem minor...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jim224

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, would either of these things be a big boost for my application?

I am currently just a Bio major, and my advisor said it would be fairly easy for me to get a minor in chem, I would just need maybe 2 extra classes.

Also, idk how difficult it would be to change my major to Biomed, but it would definitely be tougher than achieving that chem minor, because I know there is a whole set of classes I would need to take for it.

So, would either of these things really help my app?

Members don't see this ad.

There's no significant advantage to having a minor for dental school, especially when your current major and the minor are related. However, If you'd like to have the minor and are interested in the material, go for it. If you'd rather switch to biomed, it won't matter to dental schools either, but if you like it better, it'll make your undergrad experience a lot more fulfilling.

Adcom doesn't care what you take in college.
To screen you for an interview, you're just a bunch of numbers to them.

they look at:
1. Overall GPA
2. Science GPA
3. DAT scores (AA/TS/PAT)
4. completed prereqs.

do something you like, because it will make it easier for you to do well.
you can explain your decision to switch if they ask about it in the interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, would either of these things be a big boost for my application?

I am currently just a Bio major, and my advisor said it would be fairly easy for me to get a minor in chem, I would just need maybe 2 extra classes.

Also, idk how difficult it would be to change my major to Biomed, but it would definitely be tougher than achieving that chem minor, because I know there is a whole set of classes I would need to take for it.

So, would either of these things really help my app?

No major you study in college will give you a "significant boost," in my opinion, especially if you're studying something as common as biochemistry. If you studied something really off the beaten track but if you can relate it to dentistry, then maybe it might get admin officers to look at you twice.