Biopsychosocial formulation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artorious22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone can give me a tip for how to do the Biopsychosocial formulation and what exactly it entails?
Is this something you guys do for new evaluations in the assessment portion? I just suck at making these and I would like someone to possibly break it down for me.

Bio--Biological stuff, like head trauma, in utero drug exposure, PMH stuff

psycho-defense mechanisms, past psych history, etc

Social--marriage, family life, occupational stressors etc

is this it? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering if anyone can give me a tip for how to do the Biopsychosocial formulation and what exactly it entails?
Is this something you guys do for new evaluations in the assessment portion? I just suck at making these and I would like someone to possibly break it down for me.

is this it? thanks
Yeah you've got it. Psychiatrists often make out the biopsychosocial formulation to be some brilliant insight but really it boils down to pretty obvious things that you want to take into account when diagnosing and treating patients. I've noted before that there seems to be a negative correlation between intelligence of psychiatrist and importance placed on the biopsychosocial formulation.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd include genetics (from family history) in Bio

Members don't see this ad :)

is this it? thanks

For each section you should break out down to the 4 ps.
1. Predisposition
2. Percepitating factors... What started it.
3. Perpetuating factors... What is making it to keep happening
4. Protective factors

Mr. B has a strong history of mood disorders that run in his family I. E. Paternal grandfather and mother both suffered from depression. His recent unemployment most like started this current depressive episode and likely exacerbated by his daily alcohol use. He's current protective factors is that he has had a positive response to antidepressants in the past.

You would do one for the social and psychological aspect.

This is just an example... Forgive me if it sucks. I'm not really that great with the formulation.

is this it? thanks

If you say biopsychosocial 3 times and click your heels or dress shoes, you'll have the formulation suddenly appear infront of you. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
This is a stupid thing training programs want you to do, and it's pretty useless. Just do an assessment that's actually useful and that explains your rationale for the diagnosis, conceptualization of the case, and reasoning behind your treatment recommendations. Keep it short, because nobody will probably ever read it anyways.

Reactions: 2 users