biostats question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pleaseletmepass

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble with biostats and hoping someone can enlighten me.

This involves independent/dependent probabilities and I'll use an example:

1. During the 1st 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of death is X%.
2. During the 2nd 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of death is Y%.
3. During the 3rd 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of death is Z%.

If the patient survives 1 year, what is the probability of surviving 3 years? Is it Y% x Z%? or X% x Y% x Z%?

Please help with an explanation. Thanks in advance.
-plmp

Members don't see this ad.

why do we include the value of the 1st year in the multiplication equation if the patient has already survived the first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
The way I was taught was to treat it like a relative risk question. The chance of the surviving year is divided by the survived year. Eg. Pt survived 1st year what the chance of surviving the 2nd year: Y/X

Since it is death that is stated, it would be (100-Z)/(100-X)

hmmm what if i simplify the question by replacing death with survival? As in:

1. During the 1st 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of survival is X%.
2. During the 2nd 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of survival is Y%.
3. During the 3rd 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of survival is Z%.

If the patient survives 1 year, what is the probability of surviving 3 years?

Would the answer to this then be Y% multiplied by Z%?

Thanks guys

hmmm what if i simplify the question by replacing death with survival? As in:

1. During the 1st 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of survival is X%.
2. During the 2nd 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of survival is Y%.
3. During the 3rd 1 year interval after a surgery the probability of survival is Z%.

If the patient survives 1 year, what is the probability of surviving 3 years?

Would the answer to this then be Y% multiplied by Z%?

Thanks guys

yes

I wouldn't worry too much about biostats. You'll get at the most like 5 Qs, and I think I got them all wrong and still I did well on step 2.

good luck!