Black Hawk Down

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaptainSSO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm watching Black Hawk Down instead of studying, and I was wondering about what the outcome would have been for Jamie Smith if they had been successful in clamping his femoral artery. Since it's basically the only arterial supply to the leg, would he have ended up losing his leg? And how long would he have been able to survive without being taken to a hospital?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm watching Black Hawk Down instead of studying, and I was wondering about what the outcome would have been for Jamie Smith if they had been successful in clamping his femoral artery. Since it's basically the only arterial supply to the leg, would he have ended up losing his leg? And how long would he have been able to survive without being taken to a hospital?

were they clamping the common femoral or superficial femoral?

were they clamping the common femoral or superficial femoral?

Couldn't tell you man, they didn't say, but I'm assuming it was the superficial since they were accessing it anteriorly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since it's basically the only arterial supply to the leg, would he have ended up losing his leg?
There are small arteries and collaterals, but yes, he would have lost his leg

And how long would he have been able to survive without being taken to a hospital?
A day or so, maybe longer. Infection of the limb would probably kill him after that.

There are small arteries and collaterals, but yes, he would have lost his leg

A day or so, maybe longer. Infection of the limb would probably kill him after that.

Really? I thought there was some time frame (an hour maybe?) that you could still keep the limb with minimal blood supply.

http://www.sassit.co.za/Journals/Physiology/Haematology/Ischaemiareperfusion/pathophysiology%20of%20skeletal%20muscle%20ischemia.pdf

I'm not a vascular surgeon so I don't know the most up to date literature. There is a time frame (maybe 4 to 6 hours) where if you are able to restore circulation to the ischemic limb, the chances of the limb surviving are higher, but these are for arteries with clots requiring embolectomies. I don't know if the same holds true for severed arteries where you to have to apply heavy pressure to prevent exsanguination, which in turn, also compromises collateral circulation.

http://www.sassit.co.za/Journals/Physiology/Haematology/Ischaemiareperfusion/pathophysiology%20of%20skeletal%20muscle%20ischemia.pdf

I'm not a vascular surgeon so I don't know the most up to date literature. There is a time frame (maybe 4 to 6 hours) where if you are able to restore circulation to the ischemic limb, the chances of the limb surviving are higher, but these are for arteries with clots requiring embolectomies. I don't know if the same holds true for severed arteries where you to have to apply heavy pressure to prevent exsanguination, which in turn, also compromises collateral circulation.

Ty.

a) He wouldn't have died
b) Josh Hartnett would have done a person to person blood transfusion distal to the femoral artery to save the leg (duh)
c) 6 hours to prevent limb ischemia. Return of circulation would also require fasciotomy, which, conveniently, the rifle round did for them.

IF ONLY they could have got that artery!

Great movie. The US military actually learned quite a bit from that incident as have emergency medical providers. Took a TEMS course and quite a bit of info was pulled from our time in Mogadishu, more specifically after action reports that have found their way into the teaching and testing curriculum for military medical personal.