black suit for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chauffeur

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
i really don't know if wearing a black suit for interviews is alright. i assume that navy blue is the nice conservative choice and that dark grey is also a second option. can somebody let me know? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

What's wrong with black? :confused:

DOtobe said:
What's wrong with black? :confused:

i don't know. i don't want to look like i'm attending a funeral. :(

also, i just bought a black suit and sale and i don't want to spend any more $

It is not like you have to wear a white shirt and black tie. Add color in the shirt and a conservative pattern in the tie.

should have bought a gray or navy blue suit on sale

Any of the colors you've listed, in a traditional cut would be fine for a residency interview. Unless you're wearing purple or a white tux no one is really going to remember you/base your evaluation on your suit.

I'm going with black and a somewhat colorful tie........

I saw plenty of black suits on interviewees as they wandered through the hospital last year.

You must have a black Armani suit and a red Versace tie in order to get a residency spot...period.

...and don't fprget nice shoes too!

I agree that black is fine. From my experience in the hospital and around physicians, the name of the game is to be conservative (no seersucker or neon leisure suits), but stylish and professional enough to be memorable or maybe better yet unmemorable.

I think your idea of a black/conservative suit with a strong tie is a good idea. It shows you pay attention to detail, makes you appear professional, and also makes you appear competent. Plus, it also shows you can run with the herd and are part of the "team." Patch Adams got away with the hawaiian shirt -- however, I don't think most of us would.

The head of the dept of surgery (also head of neurosurgery, Harvard trained) once told me that in medicine you need to wear your Shaman clothes. Would you see a medicine man wearing levi's and a ragged t-shirt.? Then do you want to see an oncologist who's going to treat your potentially terminal cancer in khakis and a polo?

I know you didn't suggest this and I'm going into more detail than you asked for. I'm just sharing about how I think about clothing for interviews, when a suit/sport coat is required for clinic (Mayo rule), and how you dress at professional conferences.

The suit is a tool that you can make work for you. Why not wear a "tool" that says give me the job; show me the money; or whatever you're trying to say?

But I'd never wear a bow-tie. And don't forget to shine your shoes.

i second that...please don't wear a bow tie. i roll my eyes every time i see some 'weirdo young guy with issues' wearing one....it looks cute on some old coots though.

I'd definitely stick to a black, navy blue or dark (charcoal) grey suit.

How about single vs. double breasted?

like they all said. you won't go wrong with conservative. stylish suits and bold ties have been seen all over as well.

I think your energy should be more focused on the actual interview.
my $0.02
Good luck!

chauffeur said:
i really don't know if wearing a black suit for interviews is alright. i assume that navy blue is the nice conservative choice and that dark grey is also a second option. can somebody let me know? thanks.

It doesn't matter. I wore a black suit because it was all I had, and I couldn't stand the thought of paying $$ for a suit I'd only wear a few times in my life.

Against all odds, I interviewed and matched.

I got a gunmetal (bluish grey) suit today. Stays away from black, but yet is still conservative enough for an interview.

i was heavily complimented on my stylish dressing last year. I broke some rules.

blue suit, grey shirt, blue and brown tie, blue socks, and brown shoes. they simply WANTED me with that outfit.

stay away from black suits....they're unstylish and a bit daft.

i was heavily complimented on my stylish dressing last year. I broke some rules.

blue suit, grey shirt, blue and brown tie, blue socks, and brown shoes. they simply WANTED me with that outfit.

stay away from black suits....they're unstylish and a bit daft.

See thats the difference between me and you: in your case the suit made you look good while I ,on the other hand, make the suit look good. So I'll stick with black.

See thats the difference between me and you: in your case the suit made you look good while I ,on the other hand, make the suit look good. So I'll stick with black.

:laugh: