Technology Blackberry Curve phone and drug database

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LilBambuDancer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have this ancient phone that threatens to die on me any moment now. I want to get a new phone that I can also use to look up drug information. I'm stuck with T mobile for another year so i have to get one of their own phones. I've heard good things about the Backberry Curve but I don't know if I could upload drug database on it. Does anyone have any experience using this phone for pharmacy school? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I have that phone and I love it! I don't know about the applications or anything.

Moved to the technology forum where its more relevant. I'm using a curve to type this right now, I have epocrates on mine, it autoupdates every couple of days and it seems to be pretty good for free software.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moved to the technology forum where its more relevant. I'm using a curve to type this right now, I have epocrates on mine, it autoupdates every couple of days and it seems to be pretty good for free software.

Thank you. I'm not familiar with epocrates yet. Does the software come in a form of a CD that can be uploaded to the BB or you need internet to access its website?

I think you need the internet on the phone for the initial download, even if not, I highly suggest getting the internet on the blackberry, I love mine!

You can get Epocrates onto your BB via an OTA (over-the-air) download from your phone. I have a Curve (also through T-Mobile) and love it!

You can get Epocrates onto your BB via an OTA (over-the-air) download from your phone. I have a Curve (also through T-Mobile) and love it!
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is over-the-air download?

I think you need the internet on the phone for the initial download, even if not, I highly suggest getting the internet on the blackberry, I love mine!
So I will be able to use this application offline after the initial download then? I'm on a tight budget right now and trying to hold off getting internet access for my phone as long as I could.

So I will be able to use this application offline after the initial download then? I'm on a tight budget right now and trying to hold off getting internet access for my phone as long as I could.

(1) Over-the-air downloads are ones that only require your BB - you don't need to use your computer to download the program and then sync to your BB.

(2) If you have the program installed but don't have an Internet plan, it'll mean you don't get updates - but the program is still useable.

(3) Why get a BB without an Internet/data plan? :confused:

That's a good question. I think I may have just inadvertently done that though. I got a curve a few days ago and there's no "go to" command on the browser so I can't surf the web (or download e-pocrates, which is what I wanted to do). Also it won't download ringtones. And although it was talking to gmail fine enough until this morning, now it isn't anymore. So so frustrating.

I assumed they had sold me an internet plan with it, but now I wonder. The salesperson mentioned "email", but not internet and the plans I am looking at on the verizon wireless webpage right now look very different from what I apparently have (not to mention more expensive), which is cheesing me off a bit. Looks like a visit to the verizon store is in order . . . That will teach me to get stuff at a kiosk in the mall. (But it was a graduation gift from my dad and we were at the mall, etc. etc.)

I have a curve through verizon and it is my understanding that you MUST buy the internet plan with it.

I have epocrates on it for quick and easy questions and I also bought lexi-drugs for my tougher questions. Epocrates you do not need internet access to use it daily, just for the updates and download. For lexi-drugs everything is streamed over the internet so there is no updating it, it is in real-time, but it is a little slower.

(1) Over-the-air downloads are ones that only require your BB - you don't need to use your computer to download the program and then sync to your BB.

(2) If you have the program installed but don't have an Internet plan, it'll mean you don't get updates - but the program is still useable.

(3) Why get a BB without an Internet/data plan? :confused:
Thank you for your help. I do plan on getting an internet plan on my phone when i get closer to my third year. During our third year we are required to have instant and up-to-date access to a drug database since we will be doing clinical rotation. Right now I don't need to use the database often enough to pay for an internet plan. In addition, I don't surf or check email on my phone, I use it mainly to talk and text.

I just bought a blackberry through T-Mobile and also bought email capabilities. Does that mean I also have internet access capabilities?