Technology Blackberry Medical Apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

apps-suck

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of people who say blackberry doesn't have enough medical apps so I wanted to make a list of current apps out there...here's what I know

Epocrates Standard (free) - Essentials is not available (yet)
http://www.epocrates.com/products/rx/blackberry.html

300+ apps from Skyscape including Archimedes Medical Calculator FREE
http://www.skyscape.com/estore/store.aspx?category=35

"USBMIS for the BlackBerry®
Get sought after software such as Tarascon Pocket Pharmacopoeia, Sanford Guide to Antimicrobial Therapy, Current Consult Medicine and
much more...

Lexi-CompPepid for the BlackBerry®
Provides access to current pharmacological and clinical information at the point-of-care.
Free Trials available...

Pepid for the BlackBerry®
Provides access to current pharmacological and clinical information at the point-of-care.
Free Trials available..."

and also several FREE calculators by speciality
http://www.qxmd.com/software/#free

anyone know of anymore?

Members don't see this ad.

Just bumping this thread. Downloading epocrates right now, looking at some of the skyscape apps now.

Here are some more:

• mobile MPR
  • mobilePDR (coming "back" soon)
  • Unbound Medicine (like Skyscape, they offer a suite a products)
  • PEPID
  • Up to Date (via mobile browser)
  • QxMD
You can find others by searching Google for "medical smartphones blackberry" and see what pops up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I use 5 minute consult and DrDrugs from Skyscape for my Blackberry Bold. They're great programs

I don't get something about the Blackberrys. Seems like the new ones have a higher screen resolution than the old ones. And I'm pretty sure, but not totally sure, that the apps out there for Blackberry work on the old devices. So, does that mean that the actual application looks horrible on a new Blackberry?

I think about it like this. A lot of old websites designed for old outdated monitors look terrible on a new 27" mac, or really any modern computer with a high resolution. I was just wondering if the same is true of the new Blackberrys displaying these medical apps that are designed to be compatible with the old Blackberry devices.

It all depends on what the developer has anticipated. Another issue is the fact that the Storm is the only Blackberry that has a touch screen. So if a developer wishes to market to the vast majority of other Blackberry devices out there that aren't Storms then they need to design their software for use on a small screen device with no touch screen. It makes developing software for Blackberry a lot less attractive because you typically design your user interface for the device that is most popular - the iPhone.

That's the big problem that RIM has. They need to focus on devices like the Storm to enhance the user experience beyond text and email but most of their users still prefer the older-style devices with physical keyboards right now. It's hard to combine a 320x480 screen with a keyboard unless you have a slider.

Last edited:
One of the problems with the BB is the paucity of internal RAM for medical apps. The new Storm 2 has 256 MB of RAM, but that still isn't enough if you wish to keep a robust library of medical references, calculators, tools, and games for all that free time.

The Blackberry Storm 2 launch is being buried by a slew of new Android phones like the Motorola Droid. Verizon isn't really promoting the Storm 2 much at all, it seems. I wouldn't expect much interest from developers in producing apps for the touchscreen Blackberrys.

Hey these all are good medical application for blackberry user
It would be useful to me, i am curious to know other application if you know then please let me know.Thanks for sharing it here.

Does Epocrates Essentials work with the Storm 2 (touch screen capable)?

So these Blackberry apps only work on the traditional Blackberries with the keyboard and not on the touch-screen Storm? Why?

So these Blackberry apps only work on the traditional Blackberries with the keyboard and not on the touch-screen Storm? Why?
I don't know but that would make sense.

See a developer has to tell the application how to recognize the input and if the app isn't set to recognize touch screen interface it can do what the user tells it to do.

Does anyone know if the app you closed out of is the one that opens when you turn the phone back on? That sounded confusing. Let me rephrase.

If I take the Blackberry out of my pocket and use an application (ex: Epocrates, med dictionary, etc), and then after I find what I want, then put the phone back in my pocket. Will the application still be available right away when I take it out of my pocket again. I don't want to have to go through the home screen every time and keep selecting the ePocrates icon, if that is the app I am going to use all the time.

It has been awhile since I used Blackberry, but so long as you don't close the program before you put it into your pocket, the program screen should stay there. If the screen is off when you take the phone out, just hit some buttons to turn on the screen again.