Blackberry or iPhone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BB or iPhone

• Blackberry

Votes: 32 29.9%
  • iPhone

Votes: 61 57.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 13.1%

• Total voters

elektroshok

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which do you have/want and why?
If other, elaborate please :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've got the BB 8900 and love it.
I don't think I will ever switch to a different platform.

My friend got the new droid though and it does look pretty sweet.

A lot of hospitals don't have iPhone support for push-mail because they many run on an Microsoft Enterprise environment. On the upside, this allows for synchronization of contact lists, tasks, and calendars.

I'm sure the iPhone will catch up eventually, but the Blackberry is more entrenched from a business/commercial standpoint.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking about buying a new phone, maybe a BB, like the one Obama has?

Neither. My phone just calls people.

Sorry if I shattered anyone's belief that a phone was invented for any other reason. ;)

Neither. My phone just calls people.

Sorry if I shattered anyone's belief that a phone was invented for any other reason. ;)

Some sort of PDA/smartphone is a must for clinical rotations.

I heard there are some med schools out there that require an iPhone/iPod touch

Blackberry Bold is amazing. But then again, I hate touchscreens. The Blackberry Storm has made the best use of a touchscreen, imo.

Motorola Droid looks sick (for an outside option).

I just got my BlackBerry Tour and I LOVE it ^_^

If Verizon had sold the iPhone I would have had a much harder decision to make, but I did not want to deal with another carrier. I have great coverage in my home state and it should also be great coverage if I need to move next year.

iphone is king.

It has something like 95 000 apps. the things u can do with that phone are limitless. the new video camera on the 3gs is a big plus. u can even edit your videos right on the phone and upload them to youtube on the spot.
I have a few friends who got BB because of BBM, but I dont think thats a good enough reason because you can easily just get a plan with unlimited texting for iphone.

I think the iphone is a clear winner.

I'm actually looking for a new phone too so i've done some research and so far iphone is on top.

Also i found there to be a lot more user support and forums dedicated to iphone and things u can do with iphone rather than bb

Yours doesn't even text people?! ;)

Haha, you caught me. It does text people. I just wanted to prove a point. I can't afford an internet plan anyway, so having a smartphone would be useless at this point.

BB 8330. Like it a lot. Iphone looks cool, but I don't want AT&T.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jailbreak iPhone for use on T-Mobile. Foprget paying the extra $30/month! Most hospitals or universities I've gone to have either public WiFi or restricted for students/employees. Don't need the 3G then...

Communication: BB

--push email even for personal accounts like Gmail
--can create separate icons on home screen for each email account
--LED message/call indicator on front (small feature but hugely convenient)
--BB messenger
--physical keyboard
--excellent voice phones
--available on Verizon
--some of the highest build-quality you'll find in any phone/smartphone
--can use the full version of Documents to Go (mobile office suite) for viewing, editing, and creating MS Word, PPT, and Excel docs (iPhone has a less feature-rich version)

Mobile computing: iPhone

--largest and highest quality application library
--many medically-relevant applications for use in education and in the clinic
--a single platform with a single user interface = developers can invest in writing one program that will run on ALL iphones = profit. For software developers, the market base for platforms like BB, Android, and WinMo is spread over many different devices with different user interfaces, operating systems, huge variability in hardware capability, etc. It's thus much more profitable for developers to write software for iPhone than for other platforms.

iPhone is only compatible with certain networks. unfortunately the network that carries it is not in my area. I have hared of people "unlocking" thier phone so that any provider can service it.....but these were smart techy asian dudes Im talking about. Ive head the internet can be choppy because of the amount of users. I use Verizon (or rather, they use me ;))

I use a Blackberry storm. I hate it....but only because of the touch screen. It freezes a lot. I am on my third one in less than a year. Otherwise it is superb. Internet is super fast and I can use it as a modem. The battery doesnt last long either, but no battery in any of my smart phones has. I use epocraties, up to date, davis drug guide and tabors often.

I used to use a Blackberry curve. I loved it...except that it wasnt World ready (meaning I can only use it on this continent).

Blackberry has issues with making one great phone. Thier new tour phone is world ready, but does not have WiFi. Why, I have NOOO clue.

My all time favorite phone was the Palm Treo 700wx because of the Windows user system. The internet was not as fast as the blackberry though. Now only Sprint services Palm Treos (I think, at least Verizon does not anymore).

Samsungs are built to last...like Toyotas. They have a new smart phone out I believe. I do not now much else though.

PM for more specifics on the BB.

--BB messenger
--physical keyboard
--excellent voice phones
--available on Verizon
--can use the full version of Documents to Go (mobile office suite) for viewing, editing, and creating MS Word, PPT, and Excel docs (iPhone has a less feature-rich version)
Agreed on these pro's. You can turn the indicator light off if you want. Also, regarding the email, you can have multiple accounts. Currently I am running two personal accounts and one work account. I don't use BB messenger, but you can also use AIM and many other networking programs.

I'll also throw in that BBs are pretty hardy. I have been somewhat rough on all my smartphones over the years and they arent as fragile as you might think. They still cannot go swimming though, that is a no-no.

I pay roughly $130 a month for full insurance, including parts (charger, battery, etc.). I have unlimited data and texts and visual voice mail. Let me tell you why Visual voicemail rocks. I push the button, it shows me all my messages, I can choose which one I want to listen too and which I want to delete or save. I do not have to enter a password, and I dont have to listen to an automated chick. This costs 2.00 a month - This is hands down one of my favorite features. :thumbup:

As somebody who has owned both a blackberry and iphone, the iphone is just sooooo much better in every regard. Blackberry is a very primitive smart phone. Even the browser looks weird. It has smaller memory (at least the curve). It was just a bad phone, so I returned it. I got a 3GS iPhone which is amazing. Although, I agree with some people that the whole AT&T service thing can be kinda bad at times....

I've had the iphone for about a year and honestly, I am seriously disappointed. My coverage is horrible, and I find the internet very slow at times. It constantly drops calls even with constant updating. I find about eighty percent of the apps worthless unless you are into flash type games to cure your boredom. When my contract is up I will be looking into the blackberry options.

Sony Ericsson c905, great phone, great camera !
c905-x-3.jpg

I have the generic-upgrade-POS phone from verizon, but i've seen the new droid, and i must say that it has caught my fancy

IMO, the droid has cool features, but it's also a little bulky because of its full keyboard.

for those that have an unlocked iPhone, ive always wondered how people got their hands on one. don't you have to subscribe to a plan before they give you one?

I have a blackberry, and i love it. It's got a faster interface than an iphone. I wish i had the DATA but don't have an extra 30 bucks to dish out like that, and if i did, i would just buy an iphone because face it, BB internet sucks compared to the iphone. You need to pick what you need more. If you are going to be playing a lot of games then get an iphone.

The ONLY reason i don't buy an iphone is because of battery life. My BB curve lasts me 4 sometimes 5 days w/o charge, and i love that luxury. I want a phone that will last me the entire day. Most of my friends have had an iphone for the last 1 year and either had screen glitches or battery problems. I don't know if i can deal with that.

EDIT: the features such as GPS and stuff are really cool, but i personally do not do a lot of traveling, so I really don't need it.

If I were to get a smartphone, it would almost certainly be the Droid. That thing does stuff you can't even think about doing with any other phone.

--BB messenger
--physical keyboard
--excellent voice phones
--available on Verizon AND SPRINT

Mobile computing: iPhone

--largest and highest quality application library
--many medically-relevant applications for use in education and in the clinic
--a single platform with a single user interface = developers can invest in writing one program that will run on ALL iphones = profit. For software developers, the market base for platforms like BB, Android, and WinMo is spread over many different devices with different user interfaces, operating systems, huge variability in hardware capability, etc. It's thus much more profitable for developers to write software for iPhone than for other platforms.

I completely agree. I have a BB for all communications and carry an iPod touch for all of my medical apps. I have the best of both worlds. I personally find the BB superior for all things messaging: e-mail, texting, blackberry messaging. The physical keyboard really is helpful, plus you can do a lot of things one handed. I hate navigating my iPod touch one handed and my thumb gets tired from scrolling.

BLACKBERRY makes the best phones in every way.

I completely agree. I have a BB for all communications and carry an iPod touch for all of my medical apps. I have the best of both worlds. I personally find the BB superior for all things messaging: e-mail, texting, blackberry messaging. The physical keyboard really is helpful, plus you can do a lot of things one handed. I hate navigating my iPod touch one handed and my thumb gets tired from scrolling.

I do the same. I would get an iPhone if it didn't require AT&T - I absolutely refuse to switch to them because all the people rushing out and getting iPhones has mucked up their system a bit.
I love my BB, and my iPod touch is fine for applications.

I do the same. I would get an iPhone if it didn't require AT&T - I absolutely refuse to switch to them because all the people rushing out and getting iPhones has mucked up their system a bit.

That and their pricing is ridiculous.

Sony Ericsson c905, great phone, great camera !
c905-x-3.jpg

This is what I have. I like it, except the battery life is garbage, and I always have to delete my call log after I receive/make a call or else the buttons will push in my pocket and I always end up calling someone. Haha, once it happend during physics discussion, and then speakerphone got pushed also. My buddy answers (730 am discussion), "What the **** are you calling me so early for", haha.

If I were to get a smartphone, it would almost certainly be the Droid. That thing does stuff you can't even think about doing with any other phone.

This. I'll get getting a new phone withn the next year, so I really hope the Android phones get even sicker.

I don't even own a cell phone. =/

The potential for the android operating system is HUGE. I have a BB Tour and really like it, the only problem I've had is occasional freezing but if you pull the battery (either physically or with QuickPull) it takes care of everything most of the time. I'm also a fan of a physical keyboard. The newest BB that is coming out also has built in wi-Fi which is a plus but 3G internet is already pretty serious. Definitely check out DROID but BBs are very reliable

The potential for the android operating system is HUGE. I have a BB Tour and really like it, the only problem I've had is occasional freezing but if you pull the battery (either physically or with QuickPull) it takes care of everything most of the time. I'm also a fan of a physical keyboard. The newest BB that is coming out also has built in wi-Fi which is a plus but 3G internet is already pretty serious. Definitely check out DROID but BBs are very reliable
Hey there,

Where did you hear about this new BB? The newest BB is the Tour which does NOT have wifi. Why BB has yet to make a phone that is both WiFi and World compatible I dont know.....but I'll be first in line when they do.

Well, I guess the storm is WiFi and World....but the touch screen component absolutely sucks.

anything by htc, preferably the HD2 or the new Nexus one with a cooked rom of course

Unless I'm using software that requires a Mac, I avoid the company in general (coolness be d*mned). I can send the occasional text and check email from my non-smart phone (dumb phone?). I use an LG Dare because it was on sale for $30 and came with a free LG phone.

i have the new blackberry tour 9630, but I will probably switch to iphone in medical school due to the abundance of medical apps offered fro it. I would end up staying with the blackberry if software developers would write more medical programs for it. who knows, maybe they will....

i think the droid is meant for people who sort of know how to program. Its for the techies.

My situation may be unique, but I had a horrible experience with BB. I had the curve, (8300?), and back in summer of 2008 it began to malfunction - keys wouldn't work properly, and there was NO water damage... basically, it functioned as if it had been damaged, but it hadn't. I took it to the store, and then I obtained a "refurbished" model... bad idea... it would sporadically shut off and restart, and sometimes would not remain on but would continue restarting for hours until I pulled the battery out to stop it. Ridiculously frustrating. Fast forward through 2 more refurb. models to November 2009... switched to iPhone 3GS and it has been wonderful so far. No complaints, and the battery life is fine - I get 2 days without charging, unless I'm making a ton of phone calls. True, BB had a longer battery life, but all of its other problems weren't worth it!

I also find the compass on the 3GS incredibly amusing :)

I'd say first decide which carrier you will be on if you have a choice.

If AT&T then iPhone or Blackberry bold. Both great units, but some people need a physical keyboard and some don't. I love my iPhone and can now say that I'll prob never go to a physical keyboard. I'd rather have the extra screen space and can type just as fast or faster here on the screen.

The original Storm was a flop, the new storm 2 should be better.

The new android phones look really nice and I think eventually they will be one of the major players because of the operating system and the various devices that it will be on.

Windows has kind of stalled with it's mobile platform. 6.5 I think is out but there are still elements of it that are not touch friendly. Unless you like a stylus or need the flexibility/tweakability of windows mobile then i'd suggest sticking with iPhone, BB, or android.

Besides some specific business uses I'm not really sure what, if anything BB would give you over an iPhone. BB is basically the standard for enterprise level email/messaging but I doubt that applies to many of us. I have exchange support an now push gmail on my iPhone.

I can also edit/view Microsoft docs, excel, etc.... The web browser on here is basically 2nd to none as far as handheld devices are concerned, and of course there is the media capabilities and iTunes intergration which may be a huge or non-issue for someone depending how invested they are with using iTunes.

I used to do that (BB and ipod touch), but have since converted to the 3GS. It's far superior, imo. There's the WhatsApp application that is similar to bbm. Too bad most people aren't aware of it... it's instaneous!

I have a BlackBerry - it is the best thing in the world!!! I can coordinate all my important e-mails and answer right away before they build up to scary amounts (I get a lot of them). BB>iPhone - looks more professional.

Like previously stated I am a BB Tour owner and I am disappointed in the lack of medical apps for it. I was considering buying an iTouch, but wasnt sure if id get annoyed carrying two devices. Do you notice yourself getting annoyed from this being that you carry both devices?

Not true in medicine.

Ech... I guess I'll have to become a stock broker by night then!

I still like the BB look more though. I used to go to a school that required iBooks and only iBooks because of the system they used, so I guess I'm kind of sick of using Apple all the time, and I can't type on the iPhone as well/fast as on the BB.

I used to do that (BB and ipod touch), but have since converted to the 3GS. It's far superior, imo. There's the WhatsApp application that is similar to bbm. Too bad most people aren't aware of it... it's instaneous!

Maybe, but it requires me to switch to the overpriced, horrible service of AT&T. Not going to do it.

Some sort of PDA/smartphone is a must for clinical rotations.

Eh, no it isn't. I had a PDA for my first year of clinical rotations and an iPod Touch for my second year of rotations, and really just used them to check my email (which was key during residency apps so you could respond to interview invites on rounds and look like you were doing something...). But I rarely used them for other things. I used epocrates occasionally, but I it was way to slow on the iPod Touch, so I stopped. And I used a med calculator very occasionally. I don't think I ever used any other apps. Our hospital has computers everywhere, so it wasn't that hard to just look up whatever you wanted online...

I think if you're into the technology stuff and are the type of person who would use apps than the iPod Touch or iPhone is great, but if you're the type of person who could do without (like me), then you really don't need them for the wards.