blacklist and questions about admission

Started by AKPsiMD84
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AKPsiMD84

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I heard about a Medical School Blacklist that if a person gets accepted and then they reject all acceptance offers they can't get into medical school forever. Is this true?

2. I don't think Im ready to pursue a career in medicine. There are still things I want to experience that being in medical school won't allow me to experience and medical school locks you up for 4 years plus residency. What are my options if I get accepted into a medical school and how would it affect future attempts to apply?
 
Why did you apply if you aren't sure you want to go? What a waste of time and thousands of dollars. If you get in you should accept the offer and attempt to defer. You're gonna need a good reason why they should hold your spot for a year. "Not sure I want to be a doctor" is not gonna cut it. If they don't grant you deferral, you could still walk away. I don't think there is a formal blacklist, but you will have a lot of explaining to do when you apply again. Schools will doubt your commitment.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is no such thing as a "blacklist" - ie, your name isn't going on some list that prevents you from getting accepted in the future. The AMCAS application asks you if you've applied before, and I think it asks if you've been accepted to a US MD school before (but I'm not 100% sure). Bottom line: most schools don't want to accept someone who has been accepted before and turned down the offer (unless they had a REALLY good reason, or took quite a few years off and later decided that they did actually want to do medicine). A bad reason to turn down an acceptance would be: #1 - you didn't get into a school that you wanted to go to, or #2 - you weren't sure you wanted to go and needed to take a year off.

If you're not ready to pursue a career in medicine, why apply now? Do what you want/need to do and apply when you're ready.
 
The AMCAS application asks you if you've applied before, and I think it asks if you've been accepted to a US MD school before (but I'm not 100% sure).

Wrong on both accounts. AMCAS does not ask you if you've applied before, and also does not ask you if you have been accepted to a US school before. It only asks if you have previously attended a US MD school. Some secondaries ask if you've applied before, but not too many. Also, one school I remember did ask if you have been accepted before, but that is certainly the exception.

So no, if you turn one school down no other schools will ever know about it if you re-apply later.
 
Wrong on both accounts. AMCAS does not ask you if you've applied before, and also does not ask you if you have been accepted to a US school before. It only asks if you have previously attended a US MD school. Some secondaries ask if you've applied before, but not too many. Also, one school I remember did ask if you have been accepted before, but that is certainly the exception.

So no, if you turn one school down no other schools will ever know about it if you re-apply later.

Technically, it does ask if you've applied before. When you're choosing the list of schools to send your AMCAS to, for each school you add, it asks whether you've applied to that school before. It's essentially the same thing, unless you apply to different schools the next round.
 
from the way you've stated your questions, Im guessing you haven't actually gotten into a school yet. So then, if you're sure that you want to take some time off, and you don't mind the money/time/effort you've spent during this application cycle, why dont you just withdraw from all of your schools before they make a decision on your file?
 
AMCAS is aware of your previous MD school acceptances, unless they occurred through the Texas application system, so they don't have to ask the question.
 
AMCAS is aware of your previous MD school acceptances, unless they occurred through the Texas application system, so they don't have to ask the question.

This is true. When a med school makes an offer of admission, it must report it to AMCAS.

That said , there is no blacklist but you would need to do some explaining.

If there are things you want to do, why not take a year off between 2nd & 3rd year? Many people do that to do research and/or travel or earn an additional degree (MPH, MBA, etc)
 
This is simply not true.

Why do you think this is not true? It would make sense for med schools to make other institutions aware of a student who turns down an acceptance and attempts to re-apply in the future.
 
This is true. When a med school makes an offer of admission, it must report it to AMCAS.

That said , there is no blacklist but you would need to do some explaining.

If there are things you want to do, why not take a year off between 2nd & 3rd year? Many people do that to do research and/or travel or earn an additional degree (MPH, MBA, etc)

Even if it is reported to AMCAS its not like its forwarded on to schools that Joe was accepted at X school last year.
 
Your amcas application has a field populated by AMCAS that shows the previous year(s) inwhich you submitted an application to that school.

If you apply to a school and it makes you an offer, it will be able to see where else you hold offers (this becomes available to schools by mid -April, IIRC.) During the summer, a school's admissions office can query the data base and determine the disposition of any applicant to its school. (It is interesting to see if a peer school took a chance on a non-trad or a URM or anyone else that your adcom took a pass on).

Again, there is no blacklist but you may need to justify why you got cold feet and why you won't get them again.
 
defer for a year.

I would check with the schools you are applying to about their policy for deferring. Many won't let you defer unless you have a really good reason like a Fulbright.
In response to your original question, I would simply hold off on applying until you are sure you want to start a career in medicine. There is nothing wrong with taking a few years off. In fact, it can show medical schools that you have put some real thought into having a medical career.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is true. When a med school makes an offer of admission, it must report it to AMCAS.

That said , there is no blacklist but you would need to do some explaining.

If there are things you want to do, why not take a year off between 2nd & 3rd year? Many people do that to do research and/or travel or earn an additional degree (MPH, MBA, etc)

LizzyM, do most schools alllow this?

OP, med schools are busy enough as it is there is no blacklist. :laugh: but as lizzym mentioned if a certain school that you reapply to already admitted you they will question your commitment, but other schools that didn't admit you will just treat you as a reapp. why are you looking to defer?
 
I think you need to ask yourself a couple of very important questions before you decide what you are going to do.

1) Are the things you want to do really so incompatible with medical school that you would need time off? If your goal is to go abroad for a year, seek out another degree, volunteer with a specific group, etc. ALL of those things can usually be worked into medical school. At most schools you have free time between your first and second year, some leeway during late 3rd/early 4th year, and the option to take an extra year to pursue another degree or research. If what you want to do could potentially fit into those time periods, I would suggest staying in the game, and going on to medical school as planned.

2) How important are these other things to you? While there isn't a universal blacklist, reapplying if you have received (and then rejected) an acceptance can really complicate your life. How much would you trade for a few years off? Would you trade your shot at medical school? The time and money it may take to apply several times? Once you figure out how much trouble you will be willing to go through, in order to take that time off, you'll have a much clearer idea of where your priorities are and what you should do.

I guess I'm saying that you should only withdraw (or decline an acceptance) if you are convinced that you can't do the things you want in medical school, and if those things are so important to you that you would gamble with never having a career in medicine. It's a tough call, but deep down, you probably know what you want and what you have to do.
 
Do most schools alllow this?

Many schools are very willing to give students a year to pursue additional interests - although it is very common for the school to require that the student does this through a program either run or approved by their medical school. For example, many schools will allow students to apply for their MD/MPH or their MD/MS programs as existing students - both of these programs typically require an additional year that the school is more than willing to provide, if the student is more than willing to pay for the cost of the program. Similarly, there are a number of internships/training opportunities that each school is familiar with, and it is very common for students to take advantage of those programs. It is less common for schools (at least the ones I am familiar with) to approve student request to pursue degrees at other institutions, although I would imagine that it does happen.
 
Many schools are very willing to give students a year to pursue additional interests - although it is very common for the school to require that the student does this through a program either run or approved by their medical school. For example, many schools will allow students to apply for their MD/MPH or their MD/MS programs as existing students - both of these programs typically require an additional year that the school is more than willing to provide, if the student is more than willing to pay for the cost of the program. Similarly, there are a number of internships/training opportunities that each school is familiar with, and it is very common for students to take advantage of those programs. It is less common for schools (at least the ones I am familiar with) to approve student request to pursue degrees at other institutions, although I would imagine that it does happen.

thanks URHere. i am looking to take a year off for research, so we'll see
 
thanks URHere. i am looking to take a year off for research, so we'll see

There are quite a few year off research programs for medical students. The NIH has two: the HHMI-NIH Cloisters program (basic science) and the CRTP (clinical research training program). HHMI also has a bunch of fellowships that you do at a particular medical school - it doesn't have to be YOUR school - but you need to find a PI and write a research proposal. There are Doris Duke fellowships which are available at certain schools (anyone can apply but you can only do your research at the Doris Duke schools, and you have to apply to the program at each school separately). The CDC has a year off funded program for people interested in epidemiology. There is also the Fogarty, which funds medical student research abroad. All of these opportunities provide you with a stipend to cover living expenses. Most students do them after 2nd or 3rd year. So there's a lot available if you have the interest.
 
Haha. Seriously! ATL, get your facts straight..

Haha, I am still correct.

Again, there is not a spot on the AMCAS application forwarded to the schools that lists any info about your application status at other schools, including previous acceptances. Simple as that. They get this info later in the cycle, but its released after you would already be accepted the 2nd time around.

If you apply to X and Y, get accepted at X, turn them down, and reapply next year to Y, on your application to Y it will not list that you have been accepted last year. Thats all there is too it.

I guess a school could make a note of the status of every single one of its thousands of applicants at the end of the application cycle, and then look to see if any of those accepted at another school is reapplying the next cycle. However, if you use common sense you would realize this is not done. I think its so funny how paranoid people are about this.
 
There are quite a few year off research programs for medical students. The NIH has two: the HHMI-NIH Cloisters program (basic science) and the CRTP (clinical research training program). HHMI also has a bunch of fellowships that you do at a particular medical school - it doesn't have to be YOUR school - but you need to find a PI and write a research proposal. There are Doris Duke fellowships which are available at certain schools (anyone can apply but you can only do your research at the Doris Duke schools, and you have to apply to the program at each school separately). The CDC has a year off funded program for people interested in epidemiology. There is also the Fogarty, which funds medical student research abroad. All of these opportunities provide you with a stipend to cover living expenses. Most students do them after 2nd or 3rd year. So there's a lot available if you have the interest.

thanks for the info, i am looking to take a year off after my 2nd year.
 
I guess a school could make a note of the status of every single one of its thousands of applicants at the end of the application cycle, and then look to see if any of those accepted at another school is reapplying the next cycle. However, if you use common sense you would realize this is not done. I think its so funny how paranoid people are about this.

I do not know how each school handles its reapplications, but from a technical standpoint, it would not be hard to store each applicant's entire application history on a computer and then bring up that entire history by simply searching for his/her AMCAS number, which remains the same no matter how many times you apply...
 
I do not know how each school handles its reapplications, but from a technical standpoint, it would not be hard to store each applicant's entire application history on a computer and then bring up that entire history by simply searching for his/her AMCAS number, which remains the same no matter how many times you apply...

I agree from a technical standpoint if they wanted to they could fairly easily. I just think they have better things to do.
 
I agree from a technical standpoint if they wanted to they could fairly easily. I just think they have better things to do.

yeah i agree, i think they already have enough apps to go through each cycle, not enough staff or enough time to analyze each reapp so carefully. but not accepting an acceptance is a HUGE redflag IMO
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1. I heard about a Medical School Blacklist that if a person gets accepted and then they reject all acceptance offers they can't get into medical school forever. Is this true?

2. I don't think Im ready to pursue a career in medicine. There are still things I want to experience that being in medical school won't allow me to experience and medical school locks you up for 4 years plus residency. What are my options if I get accepted into a medical school and how would it affect future attempts to apply?


I got in two years ago, didnt go and reapplied this year. I have been accepted to three schools already and have interviewed at three I have not heard back from. Some of the schools knew, some didnt. None cared. Ohio State actually told me they admired me taking the time to make sure medicine was what I really wanted to do.

Edit: I just want to say that SDN freaked me out when I was ready to reapply. Saying it was a "huge red flag" and I would be blacklisted. None of this is true. Dont worry.
 
I got in two years ago, didnt go and reapplied this year. I have been accepted to three schools already and have interviewed at three I have not heard back from. Some of the schools knew, some didnt. None cared. Ohio State actually told me they admired me taking the time to make sure medicine was what I really wanted to do.

Edit: I just want to say that SDN freaked me out when I was ready to reapply. Saying it was a "huge red flag" and I would be blacklisted. None of this is true. Dont worry.

With that said, you really shouldn't apply if you know you're not sure. Obviously some people get halfway through the app process and realize that maybe they're not ready for this and it's a bit late to do anything about it. But since I can't tell from the OPs post if they've already applied or not - if you know you're not ready and you haven't applied yet, just wait a year or two and do it then. Reapplying is NOT cheap.

Also, if you're going to decide not matriculate after you've been admitted, make sure it's for a decent reason (ie, I'm not sure this is what I want to do and I'm going to take some time to further explore medicine and make sure it's the right choice). You do NOT want to turn down an acceptance for a "better" school, because that will most likely backfire in your face. Admission is getting more competitive every year and there is no guarantee that you will be reaccepted, much less to a better school, unless you have some master plan to REALLY improve your application.

Third, if you're going to do this, you need to stay involved in medical work/volunteering to some extent. Now, you don't need to go out and start a career related to medicine, but something in your application should suggest that this is something that you continued to consider and have had additional experiences that ultimately convinced you that medicine WAS for you.
 
1. I heard about a Medical School Blacklist that if a person gets accepted and then they reject all acceptance offers they can't get into medical school forever. Is this true?

2. I don't think Im ready to pursue a career in medicine. There are still things I want to experience that being in medical school won't allow me to experience and medical school locks you up for 4 years plus residency. What are my options if I get accepted into a medical school and how would it affect future attempts to apply?

Most, if not all, of the schools that I interviewed at were completely open to students taking a year off (normally between 2nd and 3rd) to pursue just about anything that interests them. I don't see why you can't accept your offer(s) and just do something like that.