Blame anesthesia.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is EXCEEDINGLY important, especially for us young guns out there. Many of us were in programs that were fairly dictatorial and hierarchical, so through that osmosis many would respond with yelling and teeth gnashing... that doesnt help build good relationships. There are definitely problems with personalities, laziness and knowledge gaps around but one has to play the game.

how does blaming someone else for doing something that 1) isn't wrong and 2) didn't do helpful for building relationships.

Members don't see this ad.

2 nursing interactions in past 12 hours--
1. ESRD patient developed hyperkalemia from respiratory acidosis/overnarcosis on the floor. He got 600cc NS intraop. Renal NP is consulted, who writes, "Patient received 600cc LR from anesthesia, which likely contributed to his severe hyperkalemia." Even if it was LR, he would have gotten what, like 2.4mEq of K?

As others said, the NP's comment is both inappropriate and inaccurate. I would take it to my boss to talk to the NP's boss about professionalism and liability in charting (not to mention the physiology).

how does blaming someone else for doing something that 1) isn't wrong and 2) didn't do helpful for building relationships.

Fair or not, If you respond to such crap with yelling and screaming/threatening, you’ll get a pretty awful reputation around the hospital and people will quickly hate you.

Be civil and have a calm discussion about it, and politely ask documentation to be changed. Or don’t and act like a big baby about it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Back to the taking a pic during C-section- I don't prefer awake patients and don't like doing sections. But if I am not doing anything, I don't mind taking someone's pic for a joyful occasion. I am not sure I am quite miserable enough in my life to find that as a nuisance (well, I guess it is a nuisance but I pretend like it is my fav part of the day). Of course, I don't have to do any of that extra work, but it is not really that hard if I have the time. Heck, I will help mop the floors if it gets things done quicker. I value the janitor all the way up to the CEO. And I find that people value what I do. I feel confident that I am never mistaken for someone else or undervalued by the hospital. My $0.02 on ways to enjoy life and job as much as possible (just saw that if you put on a fake smile or say thank you, that both increase your mood!)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't get why people get butt hurt when they get called anesthesia by random people. The person calling you anesthesia obviously is not trying to offend you on purpose, they just don't know your name among the hundreds of people you work with at the hospital. They are just asking you for help. Is saying to a random person "hey nurse" or "hey janitor" offensive when you are in a code or emergency situation? Someone didn't address you as doctor so now you feel small? I think that's more a reflection on you than them. Me being called anesthesia doesn't take away the respect I have in myself or my skill set. It doesn't somehow make the MD after my name invalid. I think who cares?

Now if you work with someone consistently and they refuse to learn your name, that's another story.

I agree. No problem with other people in the hospital addressing me as anesthesia, but I do think it’s offensive when surgeons, circulatory, scrub techs etc do it in the OR. I don’t say “excuse me circulator, could you send these labs”, so I don’t think it’s unreasobale for them to learn my name for the day.

Id rather be called hey dude
If I don't like someone I usually call them a mix of champ, boss, or buddy, sport, ace, chief, big guy. It gives that air of condescension combined with the person not knowing for sure whether its condescending or I'm actually calling them said salutation.

Back to the taking a pic during C-section- I don't prefer awake patients and don't like doing sections. But if I am not doing anything, I don't mind taking someone's pic for a joyful occasion. I am not sure I am quite miserable enough in my life to find that as a nuisance (well, I guess it is a nuisance but I pretend like it is my fav part of the day). Of course, I don't have to do any of that extra work, but it is not really that hard if I have the time. Heck, I will help mop the floors if it gets things done quicker. I value the janitor all the way up to the CEO. And I find that people value what I do. I feel confident that I am never mistaken for someone else or undervalued by the hospital. My $0.02 on ways to enjoy life and job as much as possible (just saw that if you put on a fake smile or say thank you, that both increase your mood!)

You value the CEO?

If I don't like someone I usually call them a mix of champ, boss, or buddy, sport, ace, chief, big guy. It gives that air of condescension combined with the person not knowing for sure whether its condescending or I'm actually calling them said salutation.

Not to mention that they aren’t sure if you care enough to learn their name.

I prefer the Ron Swanson approach and call them by the wrong name altogether. That way they know you don’t care/don’t like them enough to remember their name. Definitely sends an accurate message.

Reactions: 3 users
You value the CEO?
LOL. I imagine that is half joke and half truth.

We have a CEO who is on first name basis with all staff and you can walk in to his office anytime and he doesn't mind. If someone balks at volunteering for some menial task, he jumps on it and takes care of it. Very physician-centered.

So yeah, we are very lucky to have someone like him that will go out and get a person as great as myself to work here and then recognize how great I am!

LOL. I imagine that is half joke and half truth.

We have a CEO who is on first name basis with all staff and you can walk in to his office anytime and he doesn't mind. If someone balks at volunteering for some menial task, he jumps on it and takes care of it. Very physician-centered.

So yeah, we are very lucky to have someone like him that will go out and get a person as great as myself to work here and then recognize how great I am!
The kind of CEO who personally invites <Temp Catering Hire #13> to his soup kitchen on Wednesdays and <Rotating Student Nurse #4> to his den at 10pm on a Saturday to discuss the effects of misused gender pronouns on the Ashkenazi Jew population in Sub-Saharan Africa following the Bush administration.