Blind student earns M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B-Bone said:
I was Tim's research assistant/reader for a summer and worked extensively with him for several years through UW's disability resource center. While I agree that people have to accept certain limitations based on their personal abilities, I believe that there is certainly a place for people with disabilities in medicine. Just because one lacks exquisite manual dexterity and probably shouldn't be a surgeon, should they not be accepted to medical school? What about short people who need a few steps to reach the operating table? Or deaf people who can't hear heart murmurs? Where are you people drawing the line? The reality of the modern world is that accommodations can be made help overcome disabilities. Tim is one of the smartest people I have ever met, and is capable of practicing medicine.

with medicine as competitive as it is, you can choose to pick the best and the brightest. if we went by your logic, we could take those with 2.5GPAs and 19MCAT and just, you know, give them a little more time with their work.

i'm not knocking anything about the guy. if he wants to be a doctor, he should have to pass everything exactly as the other students do. i don't doubt he's bright, but we have other students who are just as bright and have all of their senses in tact. i'm not a dickhead for advocating that physicians should be able to stand on their own.

i'm all for disabilities, but you don't always get what you want. i wished i could've been an olympic swimmer, but you know what, my swimming times suck arse... i was forced to choose something different. Everyone needs to learn that we are not ENTITLED to every little thing we want... but you have hippies on the admissions boards and this is great PR. Way to exploit a student!! Yay!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's awsome that school adcoms are not as closed minded as most of you people in this forum are. most of you guys, not all, are disgusting.
I know a blind guy who happens to be a successful lawyer in a top firm in california, and they are not what you think. they contribute to society as much as most people do, and can do things more skillfully then people who can see. And I know that blind guy is aware that he couldn't be doing somethings in medicine, and saying that he should've stuck with academia is the most arragont statement I've ever heard.

Shangal said:
blah, blah, blah, blah.... (insert hippie quotes)... blah, blah, blah

you are the same person that thinks women should be given separate tasks when applying to the police academy or fire academy. if you can do the tasks, you can be blind, deaf, mute, ******ed, etc... all i care about is that when push comes to shove, you do your job and there is no concern of your abilities.

and i'm sure you'd volunteer to get intubated by this blind guy, right? i mean, he can do it better than those with vision, correct? i'm sure he's great at putting lines in as well?

"he doesn't have to do lines, or see rashes, he's going into psychiatry"

well, i want to become a plastic surgeon and i don't need to know any peds, psychiatry, or neurology to accomplish this so i should be able skip these right?

double standards are super cool!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Shangal said:
I think it's awsome that school adcoms are not as closed minded as most of you people in this forum are. most of you guys, not all, are disgusting.

You're an imbecile. We don't want YOU in medical school either.

Shangal said:
I know a blind guy who happens to be a successful lawyer in a top firm in california, and they are not what you think. they contribute to society as much as most people do, and can do things more skillfully then people who can see.

Too bad you can't think more skillfully than people who, uh, can think.

Shangal said:
And I know that blind guy is aware that he couldn't be doing somethings in medicine, and saying that he should've stuck with academia is the most arragont statement I've ever heard.

Go volunteer to help Tim find his patients' dinguses.

interesting replies, it will be sad if any of you guys become doctors one day.
by the way, not only are you guys arragont but you are also ignorant. research involves more tedious tasks then primary care medicine, which by the way I personally think he is limited to. And no one knows tim's limitation more then tim himself and it's not fair for us to judge him. He probably has more heart then all of us combined. And who said if you do have vision you are a better physician, since there are cases where physician make stupid mistakes, ie amputating the wrong limb.
Isn't it great that we are in a field where being empathetic and nonjudgemental is key. just remember to never tell your handicapped patients "sucks to be you"

This guy makes me feel pretty damn lazy.

This has to be the worst post I've seen on SDN. The bottom line is:

Would you want this guy/gal as YOUR doctor?

That's the question I ask myself about anyone going to med school, whether it's because of their attitude or intellectual abilities. No matter how brilliant this guy may be, I would NOT want him as my PCP or anything else for that matter....except maybe Psych. Thus, somehow, I think this problem has managed to solve itself. :confused: I think.

Shangal said:
by the way, not only are you guys arragont but you are also ignorant. research involves more tedious tasks then primary care medicine, which by the way I personally think he is limited to. And no one knows tim's limitation more then tim himself and it's not fair for us to judge him. He probably has more heart then all of us combined. And who said if you do have vision you are a better physician, since there are cases where physician make stupid mistakes, ie amputating the wrong limb.
Isn't it great that we are in a field where being empathetic and nonjudgemental is key. just remember to never tell your handicapped patients "sucks to be you"

will stop asking yourself questions that don't concern you. If you don't want him as your doctor fine, I am sure many people, like me, won't mind.

Shangal said:

why wouldn't a PhD route be more appropriate? he's obviously mentally capable of thinking, i don't doubt that he can reason. but why would he choose an md program which obvious deals with clinical skills?

and i bet he doesn't have "more heart" just because he's blind... this is such a bleeding heart comment. i don't disagree that he's not very driven, but so are many 'capable' people and since blind people don't want to be treated differently, stop talking out of your buttocks.

I have read the replies on this board and I felt the need to respond because I know Tim Cordes and he is an awesome guy who deserves all the success he has obtained despite his handicap. I went to the same high school with Tim Cordes. He was a year old than me but my locker was near his and I remember how friendly and intelligent he was. His seeing eye dog was also pretty friendly. Tim comes from a small town in Iowa (Waterloo/Cedar Falls) and he went to Columbus High School. I was impressed with him and we talked occassionally because we both wanted to do medicine. He was a pretty shy guy but very intelligent and cordial and easy to interact with. I am glad to hear he is considering either psych or IM for residency and I am happy to hear that he is engaged (or about be married). I am about to graduate from Creighton University School of Medicine in Omaha next year and I have been following his story via the internet or news since he was accepted at University of Wisconsin-Madison and I have been rooting for him all the way. If you knew him, you would know he is more than qualified to be a physician or anything else he wants to be. Tim is not limited by his blindness and we should not stigmatize him based on it.

That's my 2-cents,
drbhooks

"What lies behind us and what lies in front of us pales in comparison to what lies within us." -Emerson

farrago said:

What a disgusting series of comments.

Shangal said:
And who said if you do have vision you are a better physician, since there are cases where physician make stupid mistakes, ie amputating the wrong limb.

So we should take away sight because people with sight commit mistakes?

Members don't see this ad :)
farrago said:

Completely 100% uncalled for. That does nothing to bolster your argument.

ItsGavinC said:
You don't think that every single patient would have concern over his abilities?

this is exactly what i DO think. re-read what i wrote in the context of my statement.

I would be willing to be treated by a blind doctor.

There have been several other doctors who attended medical school while blind, as well as numerous doctors who have lost sight after graduation and have continued practicing. This link, http://www.westernu.edu/cdihp/blindphysicians.xml profiles a blind physician who is a psychiatrist, one who is an osteopathic physician, and two who are in PM+R (which means that it is possible for a blind person to be a PM+R doctor)

On the subject of wanting to be treated by a doctor who has a disability, I think Dr. Tom Strax had the right answer. (He has cerebral palsy, and is the rehab department chair at UMDNK-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School, and
vice president and medical director of the JFK Johnson Rehabilitation Institute)

"While lecturing Tom encountered a question from a vocational rehabilitation supervisor which amazed him, "I personally would not want to have a doctor with disability, how do you feel about this?" Tom took several deep breaths, counted to ten and replied "You know if I was sick, I'd want my doctor to look like Marcus Welby (a popular Doctor on a TV show during those years) that is unless the best person for my specific problem was available, and then I would not care if that individual had four heads and six arms." (http://www.westernu.edu/cdihp/tstrax.xml)

Reading the article posted here, I'm frankly envious. Not of what Tim Cordes was able to accomplish (and speaking as a person with a disability, comments about how "amazing" it is when someone with a disability accomplishes something which many other people accomplish daily get really old, really fast) but that he attended a medical school with such a great attitude. The difference made when a Dean and faculty "determined early on that Cordes would have 'a successful experience.'" is difficult to describe to those who have not had the misfortune of experiencing the opposite. The school I attend would never permit a blind student to enroll, nor one who is deaf or has more than the slightest of physical disability - this is clearly stated in the admissions policies and has been reiterated to me by members of the administration. They are at a loss dealing with my mild mobility impairment and difficulty with handwriting and a few manual tasks from cerebral palsy, having bought into what has been termed the "myth of the undifferentiated medical student." http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/279/1/79. Not every medical student is intended to be a surgeon, for reasons of physical ability as well as temperment, just as not every medical student is equiped to be a psychiatrist or FP - and it is heartening to see a medical school that is willing to accept and accomodate students with disablities and educate them to the fullest extent possible.

I feel I need to take a moment and share some personal experience I have had with another blind individual. Although it was not in a medical setting I feel there is some correlation. First, I would like to say that I initially had many of the same misconceptions and doubts regarding the abilities of visually impaired individuals. 1993-1996, I was pretty much a climbing bum; basically I traveled all over the US in my VW microbus and climbed mountains (please don’t judge me; I am currently in a great medical school and doing very well as a nontraditional student)! Over my climbing years I earned a strong reputation in mountaineering circles based upon numerous first ascents and even gained sponsorship from a couple outdoor gear manufactures. Needless to say, I was at a phase in my life when I really had not developed the love I have now for medicine or school.

One summer I attended a wilderness EMT course in Colorado and was introduced to a blind rock climber named Erik Weihenmayer who asked if I would be interested in forming a team to help him become the first blind man to climb Mt McKinley. Mt McKinley or Denali is over 20,000ft high and near the Arctic Circle. His goal was to raise money for the nonprofit organization, The American Foundation for the Blind and hopefully demonstrate the abilities rather than the disabilities of people with handicaps. I had my doubts, would we be pulling him up in a sled, could he help pitch a tent, what if he lost a glove at 18,000 ft with a wind chill of -100? Despite the unanswered questions we did form a team and had several mid-winter practice climbs on Longs Peak in Colorado and Mt Rainer in Washington. “WOW!” is all I can say, I was shocked at the ability of Erik to compensate his other senses based upon the loss of one. We were stuck in the middle of a severe wind storm on one climb that was literally tossing us around like tumble weeds, all but Erik, his balance was way beyond the abilities of some very experienced climbers. Erik became a master at adaptation, he would tie his gloves and hat to his coat, he would sense the tension of the climbing rope from the climbers ahead and behind to help him visualize the terrain, and he could pick up the slightest audio clues about changes in the snow and ice. After practicing and practicing he could even set up a tent faster than any of us; my beliefs regarding Erik’s abilities were wrong.

After 28 days on McKinley, Erik became the first blind man to reach the top of the highest peak in North America and our efforts raised over 100K $ for a good cause. By the way, I didn’t even make it to the top. Did he do it alone? No it was a team effort in which he did what he could and the people involved were happy to help a proud man live out a dream. Because of the large media exposure of Erik’s climb (NBC, CNN, and even David Letterman); many visually handicapped individuals began to look at their “deficits” differently. I traveled with him to a school for blind kids and witnessed first hand the joy and encouragement they received from meeting Erik; it was one of the most moving moments of my life. Erik went on to climb the tallest peak in South America, El Captain in Yosemite, and four years ago Mt Everest in Nepal (to name a few). http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101010618/story.html

Listen, I do not argue that the blind MD received some different treatment in order to earn his degree, of course he did. I do not argue that he will not be able to perform many of the procedures that most physician do, of course not. However, I am puzzled as to why when you look at the big picture, so many people seem apparently threatened by his accomplishment. Think of the message this blind physician has sent to literally thousands of “handicapped” people facing a society that constantly tells them you can’t do that. Will the blind MD practice medicine like you and I, most likely not. However, I am sure he will find his niche in health care and will help many, many people in his career.

As a future physician I strongly feel we have an obligation to keep open minds and help people do the most with what they have. Basically, you can choose to be negative, to sit around and focus on how unfair things are, and make a list of all the blind MD’s limitations, or you can choose to see the positive aspects of an outstanding accomplishment of someone with a handicap, that refused to listen to individuals like yourselves. I am sure that even though he is not in practice yet, his mere example has already helped a tremendous number of people. How many times during you efforts to get into medical school or to follow other dreams did you have people doubt you? Be honest, did you ever get a little discouraged? Multiply that by hundred to understand what people with disabilities face everyday. It is a sad fact of human nature that the people that are often the most critical of the achievements of others are usually the people who have never accomplished anything really great in their own lives (or at least tried). For those who are accomplishing great things, such as trying to earning an MD degree, does his achievement some how lessen what you are doing? I applaud the blind doctor’s incredible determination, desire, and character, as we say in climbing go big or go home. Medicine could use a few more like him. Sorry to write a book it’s just something I strongly believe in.

Even in psychiatry, there would be limitations for a physician with impaired sight. Doing a complete mental status exam involves not only listening to what the patient describes as their symptoms but observing them as well. A psychiatrist needs to be able to describe the patient's affect, level of eye contact, psychomotor activity (particularly regarding abnormal movements if the physician is prescribing neuroleptics or other meds that can cause EPS), and whether the patient appears to respond to internal stimuli. Yes, some one working with the individual with impaired vision can describe these features to him or her but their assessment will still be limited or based in a large part to second-hand reports. Even if the physician were to focus primarily on psychotherapy there still will be important nonverbal cues that they will not be aware of. I won't debate whether or not a particular individual possesses enough skills to overcome these challenges but it is certainly something that should be considered.

Hello all,

This is the first and probably last time I’ll visit this site.

I think my story is like a Rorschach test for others. Those mired in doubt, fear, and insecurity have a tendency to see that in my case while those who acknowledge possibility in others and approach life creatively might give me a chance.

With regard to psychiatry, I find it odd that those who are so ready to acknowledge that I might miss visual clues are so clueless themselves about the verbal and tonal data they are ignoring by staring at a face.

I also find it amazing that so many are diagnosing the capabilities of a patient who you have never “seen.”

Perhaps, my going into medicine might help teach practitioners something about life that doesn’t come from the Wash manual. Or, perhaps, as this thread demonstrates, it’s at least made you think.

Timothy Cordes M.D.

I hope you do at least hang around long enough to read this:

I hope that you find more support from your real-life classmates and future colleagues than you found here.

Don't know if you read my earlier post - in reading the article I was envious that you attended a school so willing to accomodate. I have mild cerebral palsy, and my school has been less than useful. As I move into my third year of medical school, I'm starting to wonder what my reception will be in the rest of the medical world out there. Looking over this thread, I'm not optomistic. But reading your post, I am.

bigfrank said:
I think everyone is looking at this thread all wrong. Can't you see this courageous medical student for what he is?
Oh, I see now! I was blinded by the arrogance before, but it's all crystal clear now.

crazyblindguy said:
Hello all,

This is the first and probably last time I’ll visit this site.

I think my story is like a Rorschach test for others. Those mired in doubt, fear, and insecurity have a tendency to see that in my case while those who acknowledge possibility in others and approach life creatively might give me a chance.

With regard to psychiatry, I find it odd that those who are so ready to acknowledge that I might miss visual clues are so clueless themselves about the verbal and tonal data they are ignoring by staring at a face.

I also find it amazing that so many are diagnosing the capabilities of a patient who you have never “seen.”

Perhaps, my going into medicine might help teach practitioners something about life that doesn’t come from the Wash manual. Or, perhaps, as this thread demonstrates, it’s at least made you think.

Timothy Cordes M.D.

Rock on Dr. Cordes !!!

In general, I see our society producing more and more examples of "free" ideology that lack common sense. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that with what a physician is required to do, this situation is more of a "feel good" story rather than a legit person making it into medicine. I'm not commenting on this fellow's heart, his soul, or his overall state of being. I am commenting on his limitations. It seems also to me that considering all things this whole thing is walking a fine line of selfishness under the ideology that "any person can do anything." I don't know this, it is only a guess. But, personally I would disqualify people on much less who desired to become doctors. He alone knows his motivations; I have a feeling that this sentiment we've created, however, in modern society really has overcome common sense (which clearly molds his thinking on this matter as well ...

These are my thoughts

Gumshoe

ps - as an added example, i would really have a tough time letting in someone without arms, for example, because there are many other great people that can't get into med school that are really well rounded and that don't have any functional "issues" that are obvious. It is choosing based on logical grounds (we ARE investing a lot into the formation of doctors, btw, as a society).

TheProwler said:
Oh, I see now! I was blinded by the arrogance before, but it's all crystal clear now.
finally, a reply. I thought noone got my humor: I was almost to the point of taking a good hard look at myself. ;)

Gumshoe said:
In general, I see our society producing more and more examples of "free" ideology that lack common sense. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that with what a physician is required to do, this situation is more of a "feel good" story rather than a legit person making it into medicine. I'm not commenting on this fellow's heart, his soul, or his overall state of being. I am commenting on his limitations. It seems also to me that considering all things this whole thing is walking a fine line of selfishness under the ideology that "any person can do anything." I don't know this, it is only a guess. But, personally I would disqualify people on much less who desired to become doctors. He alone knows his motivations; I have a feeling that this sentiment we've created, however, in modern society really has overcome common sense (which clearly molds his thinking on this matter as well ...

These are my thoughts

Gumshoe

ps - as an added example, i would really have a tough time letting in someone without arms, for example, because there are many other great people that can't get into med school that are really well rounded and that don't have any functional "issues" that are obvious. It is choosing based on logical grounds (we ARE investing a lot into the formation of doctors, btw, as a society).

oh the heresy!!!! how can you be so ignorant?!?

the only person that should not be in medical school is YOU, you GAY-HATER!!!!!
[end typical hippie doctor persona]

i definitely agree with this post. no one is saying anything bad about Dr. Cordes, just that there probably were better candidates out there.

logic, folk! i know it's hard with all of the lack of thinking we do here in medical school, but logic and reasoning shouldn't be thrown out the window in favor of 'feelings.'

we all know sight is impt in clinical medicine but a determined individual can be a medical doctor. People who do not know the whole story are jumping to conclusions about this guy's future. What about if he just wants to go into academic medicine? Even if he does not want to go into academics, he can still do psychiatry. Yeah, he will need someone to describe the non verbal behavior of a patient but I can tell you that some psychiatrists in most cases leave patients interviews and observations to a psychologists. Are those doctors incompetent? Are they being sued like crazy as some are suggesting?

Ok, he did not actually see a surgery being performed (obviously) but what did he miss by not seeing the actual surgery? Is he going into surgery? NO. Even if he is going into surgery, what is there to learn that is of importance? How to suction blood? Give me a f@#$ break. Obviously, some specialties will be very difficult for him to go into but is he saying he is going into surgery or ob/gyn? Nope, only you arrogant premeds and bitching medical students are even suggesting the possibility.

Some of you if given the leeway will say he is inherently not fit to become a doctor just as you have said for so many other people.

Someone was saying he had an advantage in histology because they described the slides to him....are you f#@$ kidding me? How did he have an advantage? If the slide has a pattern of an owl's eye (using your example) and that was relayed to him, what advantage that that gave him? So you are effectively saying people with eyes can't see a pattern of an owl's eye themselves?

I guess the next topic on your all mind will be affirmative action, give me a f$$#@ break!

Gumshoe said:

These are my thoughts

Gumshoe

Nobody is talking about training a whole new generation of blind physicians here. This was an isolated case in which many clear thinking people obviously felt that this particular individual could do more with what he doesn’t have than the many that don’t face his setbacks. You would think that with the thousands of stereotypically doctors graduating each year that people could be a little more accepting of at least one that is different. You certainly are right, this is a “feel good” story but that doesn’t mean that the purpose for his education doesn’t go beyond that. It stands to reason that he will not practice medicine in the traditional sense of what a physician does, but I believe he will find a niche and continue to help many.

Ultimately, you and I don’t know all the details and information regarding his selection, training, or even exactly how he plans on using his degree. If a logical decision is supposed to be based upon all the facts, maybe what you perceive as logic is really nothing more than your opinion. The only real fact we know is that the guy is blind and in my “opinion” that is not enough based upon the tremendously broad scope of medicine and his other attributes, to say he should be disqualified from medical education. There are a lot of “well rounded” and “legit” doctors with “two arms” that are doing a lot more harm than good because their “deficiencies” were not so obvious. Respectfully, it seems your whole argument is walking the fine line of discrimination under the ideology that “people with handicaps should be overlooked because they are different” I too don’t know this, it is only a guess.

typeB-md said:
oh the heresy!!!! how can you be so ignorant?!?

the only person that should not be in medical school is YOU, you GAY-HATER!!!!!
[end typical hippie doctor persona]

i definitely agree with this post. no one is saying anything bad about Dr. Cordes, just that there probably were better candidates out there.

logic, folk! i know it's hard with all of the lack of thinking we do here in medical school, but logic and reasoning shouldn't be thrown out the window in favor of 'feelings.'

Attention my fellow medical colleagues:

People who are not like us and possess certain physical deficiencies should only be allowed to dream about becoming doctors, as they are under qualified. They must acknowledge their limited potential (as defined by someone else) and find their proper place in our modern society to avoid becoming selfish and/or lacking in common sense (as defined by someone else). Additionally, feelings shall have no place in medical education because if we have feelings that means we are being illogical.

(end of typical closed minded, intellectual snob persona)

Seriously now, I can see why some might feel his selection to attend medical school was illogical, but only if you truly feel he has nothing to offer medicine. Perhaps the disagreement is mainly based upon determining what his abilities are as a physician. I don’t believe he is planning to pursue a career in surgery or radiology. In fact there are plenty of areas in medicine in which he would never have to “see” a patient if he chooses; certain aspects of medical education, research, consulting, peer review, and health care management to name a few. Insinuating that the people who selected him “threw logic out the window in favor of feelings” is a bit of a stretch. I’m sure that many intelligent people contemplated his handicap and exactly how it would affect his training and career before the decision to admit him was made. Did their feelings have anything to do with their choice? Sure, but I certainly doubt the decision was formed on feelings alone. Lastly, nobody has ever said that those who don’t agree with this situation are saying anything bad about Dr Cordes, what are you self conscious or something?

4ruralhealth said:
Attention my fellow medical colleagues:

People who are not like us and possess certain physical deficiencies should only be allowed to dream about becoming doctors, as they are under qualified. They must acknowledge their limited potential (as defined by someone else) and find their proper place in our modern society to avoid becoming selfish and/or lacking in common sense (as defined by someone else). Additionally, feelings shall have no place in medical education because if we have feelings that means we are being illogical.

(end of typical closed minded, intellectual snob persona)

Seriously now, I can see why some might feel his selection to attend medical school was illogical, but only if you truly feel he has nothing to offer medicine. Perhaps the disagreement is mainly based upon determining what his abilities are as a physician. I don’t believe he is planning to pursue a career in surgery or radiology. In fact there are plenty of areas in medicine in which he would never have to “see” a patient if he chooses; certain aspects of medical education, research, consulting, peer review, and health care management to name a few. Insinuating that the people who selected him “threw logic out the window in favor of feelings” is a bit of a stretch. I’m sure that many intelligent people contemplated his handicap and exactly how it would affect his training and career before the decision to admit him was made. Did their feelings have anything to do with their choice? Sure, but I certainly doubt the decision was formed on feelings alone. Lastly, nobody has ever said that those who don’t agree with this situation are saying anything bad about Dr Cordes, what are you self conscious or something?

this entire post is illogical. many special considerations had to be made for him. using LOGIC, we could say that most any person given extra help and attention could pass through medical school, especially if we just ignored those rotations that weren't "suitable." i just have to think that in our mission to serve people, there could've been other, better choices made.

and i like i already said, if i wanted to be a plastic surgeon, you think they'd let me op out of ob/gyn, psych, and peds?? in all reality, i don't need to know anything about these if i am practicing plastic surgery.

This thread makes me think about one of the important parts of the physician patient interaction . . . Taking a history. Yes part of it is visual but a large part is non visual but less we all forget. We spend so much time focusing on tests and expensive diagnostic tools. That being said
It also reminds me of the "wonderful culture" of medical school. I can't believe some of the posts here.
Dr. Cordes rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only thing that this guy could do an actually expect to make any money doing it would be psychiatry. I mean if you had a heart condition and went to see your new cardiologist and found out he was blind, you wouldnt walk out the door? Or your kid was broke his leg and needed surgery and you went to the ortho and found out he was blind, you wouldnt walk out the door? This just has lawsuit written all over it. Can you name one insurance carrier that would insure this guy???? And do you have any idea what his premiums would be!!

Now that you mention it, I do see problems here.