Blood Center Medical Director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

star23

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any knowledge as far as salary and lifestyle for a private blood center (no academic affiliation) trained BB/TM doc? I have been able to find several academicians in this position, but have been limited in finding those that work at a blood center. I am interested in a job in this area and wonder what the range of salaries is for this type of position. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I trained briefly with a BB/TM pathologist who was a senior partner with a private pathology group which contracted with most of the local hospitals, including the medical school hospital (the school did not have their "own" hospital). That person was based at the BB for the main/med school hospital, and did BB, CP coag, and helped the hemepaths reading peripheral smears. From what I could tell, great lifestyle. Not unusual to be taken out for a 2 hr lunch in the Porsche. By rumor, that person made about $500k/yr.

The private pathology group was pretty aggressive in marketing, recruiting directly from name-brand fellowships, and having a good bottom line -- but clearly a lot of money came in from surg path, and profit sharing I'm sure played a large role in end of year income. And there was at least an academic affiliation. So..might not quite meet the question you're asking.