Medical director Salary for American Red Cross Blood banker?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathOmaniac

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the starting salary for a attending fresh out of blood banking and transfusion for working at the american red cross? What about a private blood bank?

Members don't see this ad.

Just don’t get low balled. Job market is good now.

Members don't see this ad :)

YMMV, but probably somewhere between 180-250k depending on the scope/location of the job. The ARC structure has consolidated a bit in the last 10 years, so I think their medical directors tend to cover a larger region now. Meet some medical directors and ask around. Definitely go to the AABB meeting if you find yourself interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with above. Academic jobs (asst. prof) should be starting around 200 in current market*. Community blood centers should be offering higher for full-time work, but note that the scope of work may be extremely variable. I have recently heard of a low-ball offer from ARC that was below 200, which the applicant (fresh out of training) was able to negotiate substantially higher. Unclear to me if ARC is uniquely stingy, but I would be surprised to hear about junior positions at any blood center paying upper 200s or low 300s.

*Disclaimer: This is based on my own experiences applying for and accepting an academic job.

Agree with above. Academic jobs (asst. prof) should be starting around 200 in current market*. Community blood centers should be offering higher for full-time work, but note that the scope of work may be extremely variable. I have recently heard of a low-ball offer from ARC that was below 200, which the applicant (fresh out of training) was able to negotiate substantially higher. Unclear to me if ARC is uniquely stingy, but I would be surprised to hear about junior positions at any blood center paying upper 200s or low 300s.

*Disclaimer: This is based on my own experiences applying for and accepting an academic job.
Employers will try to lowball you if they can get away with it. Of course not all. That’s why I tell all grads to know your worth. It was 180-200 first year out a few years ago but higher in select areas. Probably more now. I’ve talked to some pathologists who also got a “slap in the face” salary offer.

I had 2 weeks of vacation in my contract for my current job. LOL unf’ing believable. Good thing I’m able to read.

Also, some non-American cultures have the “take what you get mentality”. They don’t understand negotiation to try to get a better deal (within a reasonable range). They accept a low pay and work hard. I know this because it happened to an experienced colleague who was getting <250k. I told her to ask for a higher salary because she has experience. Employers won’t even consider giving you a higher salary if you don’t ask for it AND you actually deserve it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user