Blood glucose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soccrwz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed before, but what to see what people are currently doing. How many people routinely getting FSG prior to procedures?

Myth #1: Epidural steroid injections do not affect blood glucose levels. Fact: Administration of epidural glucocorticoids results in temporary hyperglycemia. This usually does not result in any serious consequences. Although catastrophic complications might be imaginable, the literature is limited to a few case reports. Precautions can be taken to reduce risks.

Members don't see this ad.

This has been discussed before, but what to see what people are currently doing. How many people routinely getting FSG prior to procedures?

Myth #1: Epidural steroid injections do not affect blood glucose levels. Fact: Administration of epidural glucocorticoids results in temporary hyperglycemia. This usually does not result in any serious consequences. Although catastrophic complications might be imaginable, the literature is limited to a few case reports. Precautions can be taken to reduce risks.

I check it for anyone who is a diabetic

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"it was under 300 for a change" is not an answer I want to hear.
1591374202391.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I use an A1C > 8 as a cutoff for stim trials/implants. I've never seen any actual published guidelines, but this study talks about complication rates for other surgeries based on A1C. As a fellow I occasionally did cases higher than that if the patient showed a downward trend and was highly reliable/motivated.

I have declined a few ESIs due to poorly controlled diabetes, but I kind of take those case by case. The last thing I want to do is put someone in a diabetic coma for temporary partial relief of chronic low back pain. I probably wouldn't do an ESI in someone >9(correlates with average BG of 212) unless they were in extremis, had strong social support, and already had a sliding scale.

Reactions: 1 user
Just avoid dex in people with sugars around 200ish. I’ve given scores of patients triamcinolone and their sugars haven’t moved. Dex would push it to 400 easy. Also dietary advice of protein-only diet for a day if using dex with higher sugars.

Reactions: 1 users