Blood pressure - capillaries, veins, and venuoles

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheetoh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really don't know what the answer is or what equations to use to answer this.

Is Poiseullie's Law applicable? Everyone says Bernouilli's is out; Continuity is out; that leaves nothing.

Theoretically I understand why capillaries wouldn't be the answer here, but I don't understand the distinction between vein/venule pressure, or if I even need to consider them separately.

The question: Where is BP lowest.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I really don't know what the answer is or what equations to use to answer this.

Is Poiseullie's Law applicable? Everyone says Bernouilli's is out; Continuity is out; that leaves nothing.

Theoretically I understand why capillaries wouldn't be the answer here, but I don't understand the distinction between vein/venule pressure, or if I even need to consider them separately.

The question: Where is BP lowest.

Blood pressure is the lowest right after venules in the veins.

The way blood travels Left ventricular ejection>Artery>arterioles>capillaries> venules >veins> superior/inferior vena cava.

The reason is because both capillaries and venules are equivalent (for this purpose) in pressure, but you have a high pressure system dumping into a large diameter, which is why it is the lowest pressure in the veins.

The veins require musculoskeletal action in order to effectively return blood to the right atrium.

Blood pressure is the lowest right after venules in the veins.

This sounds misleading. BP is lowest in the vena cava. Obviously of the choices, veins is correct, I'm just saying that "right after venules" sounds like it implies that pressure rises sometime after it enters the bigger veins before it reaches the right heart, and that would be misleading.

This sounds misleading. BP is lowest in the vena cava. Obviously of the choices, veins is correct, I'm just saying that "right after venules" sounds like it implies that pressure rises sometime after it enters the bigger veins before it reaches the right heart, and that would be misleading.

I should clarify, i meant in terms of this question. Since the vena cava wasnt a choice, but yes the largest diameter= lowest pressure. I agree. Sorry didnt mean for it to be misleading.