Vasoconstriction, Blood flow and Pressure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PagingDr.F

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
10^1000000 threads about this but haven't found the clarity I'm looking for...(already actually took the MCAT but thought this would be a good place to post)

Q=DeltaP/R
Flow is maintained by the pressure gradient (blood flows from high P to low P)
As the R increases, the pressure gradient increases (that is, there is a large drop in pressure when going from arteries > arterioles) - otherwise, flow would not be maintained. I understand this.

Vasoconstriction of the afferent arterioles causes a decrease in Q(flow) via an increased R. Here is where my confusion lies. Why does an increase in resistance cause an increased pressure drop (like in the transition from artery > arterioles) and a constant Q, but in vasoconstriction it causes a decrease in Q? My understanding is that vasoconstriction would lower P downstream (i.e. the capillaries) and an increase in P upstream (arteries) - essentially causing the same increase in pressure gradient. If the pressure gradient increases, shouldn't Q be maintained?

In terms of Q=deltaP(pie)(r^4)/8nl, I see that decreasing r by a factor of 2 would decrease Q by a factor of 16 (because R increases by a factor of 16). Couldn't the deltaP just increase by a factor of 16 and maintain Q constant? If we were to rearrange the equation to solve for deltaP:

deltaP=Q(8nl)/(pie)(r^4), a decrease would cause an increase in deltaP.

I understand that a change in r has a much greater effect on Q than a change in deltaP (because it's raised to the 4th) but when looking at the equation I'm having trouble understanding why the above statement doesn't happen? It seems as if the R causes both Q and deltaP to change (delta P increases, Q decreases), but it's effect on Q is much larger than it's effect on deltaP.

Is it just because vasoconstriction is local, and therefore, the majority of blood is redirected to other unconstricted vessels? Therefore, both deltaP and Q change, but Q to a larger extent because of all this blood flowing elsewhere? And this lack of flow into the capillaries is what is actually causing the decrease in capillary pressure, rather than the resistance affecting the pressure directly as it does in the artery > arteriole transition?

Members don't see this ad.

In order to think about this correctly you need context. The answer is very different if we are talking about plumbing or kidneys; you started to touch on this at the end of your post.

Forget the r delta this that mumbo-jumbo. If I plug a garden hose with my thumb, pressure increases becuase the water doesn't have anywhere else to go. However, if I constrict the kidneys afferent arterioles, I've only increased resistance in renal circulation and parallel systems absorb the change (a concept that will eventually become address as compliance).

Read a bit about vessel compliance, that's where they're trying to take you learning all this **** anyway, it may help to go right to the source.

Reactions: 1 user
In order to think about this correctly you need context. The answer is very different if we are talking about plumbing or kidneys; you started to touch on this at the end of your post.

Forget the r delta this that mumbo-jumbo. If I plug a garden hose with my thumb, pressure increases becuase the water doesn't have anywhere else to go. However, if I constrict the kidneys afferent arterioles, I've only increased resistance in renal circulation and parallel systems absorb the change (a concept that will eventually become address as compliance).

Read a bit about vessel compliance, that's where they're trying to take you learning all this **** anyway, it may help to go right to the source.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I get it when I think about it intuitively - but then I see the equation and my mind goes down the rabbit hole lol