Blood Type Question - Help Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlynguyen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a hemorrhagic patient with A- blood receives a transfusion but soon dies due to hemagglutination, which of the following would have been possible types of blood she received that initiated the reaction?

A. O-, A+, or B-
B. AB-, A+, or O+
C. B-, O-, or AB+
D. A-, O-, or A+
E. B+, AB+, or O-

Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious too! I would guess B since it's the only answer that has O Rh+.
For blood transfusion to A-, I believe only O Rh- and A Rh- can be the donors.

I'll say B. O is the universal donor... the only thing that made B stands out is the positive Rh. The patient would have been okay with O-.

Maybe a typo on the question maker's part. Rh- means that the patient has no antigens for the Rh factor, and would thus recognize any blood that has the Rh factor as non-self and cause agglutination. Also, any choices with B, or AB can also be eliminated because the patient would recognize B antigen as non-self as well. Considering this, none of the choices work perfectly. The 'perfect' answer would have to be A- or O- ONLY. hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
If a hemorrhagic patient with A- blood receives a transfusion but soon dies due to hemagglutination, which of the following would have been possible types of blood she received that initiated the reaction?

A. O-, A+, or B-
B. AB-, A+, or O+
C. B-, O-, or AB+
D. A-, O-, or A+
E. B+, AB+, or O-

Thanks guys!!
An A- type can't accept any + types and cannot accept anything with B in it. Only choice B satisfies these requirements.