BLS vs ACAPT Discrepancy + Future salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hapa808

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get out while you can man. Everything highlighted in those articles has been a long standing issue within the profession. As reimbursements continue to decline, several things will happen that have already occurred.
(1) productivity thresholds will continue to go up
(2) PTs will get laid off
(3) wages will stagnate (already happening)
(4) salaries offered will get lower and lower.

New grads are being offered 65K from what I’ve seen. That is a ****ing JOKE for a doctorate level profession.

Reactions: 1 user
I read the same thing and sent it to my faculty who gave it to our dean. Crickets were echoed of course. I felt this scenario in the clinic with burned-out clinicians which lead me to the ACAPT article. Interesting times ahead with the state of the world in dismay....

Members don't see this ad :)
"All I want is a comfortable life with a good life balance earning 80-90k doing something I enjoy."

The only thing that really concerns me here is what you said above. If "all [you] want is a comfortable life, with a good [work-]life balance, earning 80-90k doing something [you] enjoy," (lol, btw), then why not another profession that will likely pay as much, or more, than PT with less up-front investment?

I hate to echo sardonic sentiments but, really, the only reason you should become a PT is because you have to. It doesn't take an economist to understand that this is the wrong field if money is a chief concern.

Can finally shadow a PA next week so we'll see how that goes but based on preliminary research it seems burnout is just as bad an issue in that field as well.

If you have any professions that fall outside of my shadowing experiences I'm more than open to any suggestions. Apologies if I come off as pessimistic or whiny.
If you're considering PA, RN --> NP is a better option.

Ahhh forums online, an interesting cross section of hopeful bright eyed students looking forward and jaded relics looking over the fence assuming the grass really is greener.

FWIW I am a newish grad, very non-traditional who left the corporate career gig for PT school knowing all of the things people gripe about. A few of the younger students I graduated with are admittedly not happy, but this is their first career and its tough to leverage good vs bad without a comparison or base line..... So I cannot speak for those who find themselves unhappy - rather I offer a suggestion to leave the field and find something you enjoy - it will free up jobs, improve wages, and improve patient care. Unhappy workers shouldn't be customer or patient facing in any field.

That said, I dont necessarily *love* what I do (full disclosure, I acknowledge that what I would actually love to do is make $250k a year to play video games, lift weights, and hike, but that aint gonna happen)... But I am pretty damn happy. I work in OP ortho, and my first full year out Ill make a little over 100K. I work monday through thursday 8-7, and never take home paperwork, treat 14ish patients a day on average, and work 1 extra day per month at a SNF. All said after patient cancels in OP I really work closer to 36 hours, so by the end of the month with the extra shift I still dont average 40 a week lol.

The debt to income thing is tricky - I graduated about 45K in debt which is on the low end of the scale and about where I would have ended up in other fields, but something important to acknowledge - I walked away from substantially more money to do this - And I havent regretted it once. I feel like most of the people saying how bad PT is have never had a soul sucking high paying job (theres lots out there) and again, lack baseline comparison. I am angrier about the housing market currently than debt to income, but I dont think graduating over 100K in debt for PT school is a wise choice.

anyways... the field is what you make it. Don't go into crazy debt, but I am pretty damn happy here. Will it retire me? Who knows, but for now I am pretty good.

Another important foot note - I took a job with one of the larger OP providers nationally in spite of what reviews online said. People literally told me "Oh, if you work at that company you will work 50 hours a week and treat 25 or more patients a day!!!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!" aaaaand of course thats not quite the case.

People come online to complain or to find an echo chamber. Go off of your experiences with real humans both clinician and patient, and your interactions face to face. Dig just a little (especially on forums) and you will find people that hate every career field (in spite of their continued presence in it).

Good luck!