Board certification as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Craker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please forgive me if this is the incorrect forum to post this on or if I have a fundamental misunderstanding about the board certification process. I was wondering about how licensing and specialty/sub-specialty board certification works after graduating as a DO.

For example, I am an M4 hoping to match into an ACGME neurology program. I understand I will need to complete the COMLEX series with COMLEX Level 3, but beyond this is where my knowledge is lacking. I’m assuming I will be board certified through ABPN after residency and whatever fellowship I end up doing. Do I need to be board certified via the osteopathic equivalent as well? Is there some process of renewing the medical license involving being tested on osteopathic content?

Basically what I’m curious about is whether I’m done with OMM after COMLEX Level 3 :).

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Please forgive me if this is the incorrect forum to post this on or if I have a fundamental misunderstanding about the board certification process. I was wondering about how licensing and specialty/sub-specialty board certification works after graduating as a DO.

For example, I am an M4 hoping to match into an ACGME neurology program. I understand I will need to complete the COMLEX series with COMLEX Level 3, but beyond this is where my knowledge is lacking. I’m assuming I will be board certified through ABPN after residency and whatever fellowship I end up doing. Do I need to be board certified via the osteopathic equivalent as well? Is there some process of renewing the medical license involving being tested on osteopathic content?

Basically what I’m curious about is whether I’m done with OMM after COMLEX Level 3 :).

Thanks!
No more AOA chains and no more OMM for you if you match into an ACGME program. You wont be held hostage (I mean boarded) by the AOA. Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users