Board Certification for AOA residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Professor D

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone this is my first post on SDN. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what the benefits are of being an ABA board certified DO. People say there are more employment opportunities and privileges in hospitals. Can anyone expand on what those privileges are. Many hospitals hire BC/BE physicians; does that mean that if you are a DO who completed a AOA residency, since you can not take the ABA boards, you do not fit under the classification of "Board Eligible."

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone this is my first post on SDN. I was wondering if anyone could clarify what the benefits are of being an ABA board certified DO. People say there are more employment opportunities and privileges in hospitals. Can anyone expand on what those privileges are. Many hospitals hire BC/BE physicians; does that mean that if you are a DO who completed a AOA residency, since you can not take the ABA boards, you do not fit under the classification of "Board Eligible."

It will be up to each hospital to decide what "counts" for board certification. That said, most hospitals will consider ABA and AOBA certification equivalent, and both equal to "Board Certified".