Board Certification in Psychiatry

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Anasazi23, Jul 28, 2009.

1. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    That makes me feel a bit better although one of my friends who took it last year said he had a few questions on the p450 stuff and said just to memorize it :/

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr1216

Attending Physician
    So if we had to summarize the best sources for studying, it sounds like it would be to do K&S questions and master those, and then BTB clinical vignettes? And then doing Kauffman questions as well? Trying to finalize resources for studying.

4. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Sounds like Kenny and Spiegel is the best source, which I'm working through right now. Sounds like other question banks, such as BTB, are secondary with no good way to prep for the clinical vignette part.

Dr1216 likes this.
  5. DrSchadenfreude

Attending Physician
    Attended Kaufman course this past month to help prepare for initial certification exam; felt like it was pretty high yield. I'd recommend it especially if you are working for a company that'll reimburse for it and/or not particularly confident about neurology. Plus you get to hang out in NYC during what little downtime you have.

Spoke with Dr Kenny after his lecture; he said if you are scoring 60-65% on K&S this far out from taking the exam, you'll probably pass. Later Dr Kenny said if you can score 70-75% then you are virtually guaranteed to pass.

He mentioned that he and the co-author (who unfortunately passed away in 2014 from brain cancer) designed the questions to be more difficult than the actual exam. IMO, I felt like K&S was noticeably less difficult than BoardVitals. Any others have thoughts on the matter?

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to everyone sitting for it this year.

#804 DrSchadenfreude, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Dr1216 and randomdoc1 like this.
  6. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    So the goal is 70-75% on Kenny and Speigel questions. Sort of what I figured. Thanks!

7. randomdoc1

How are you guys scoring on old prites? They kind of look like Kenny and Spiegel questions. So my guess is if you are at least scoring 70-75% on those as well, probably good chance of passing?

PistolPete likes this.
  8. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Haven't done any recently, are they supposed to accurately reflect boards questions, because I heard they don't and that they only predict if you'll pass or not?

9. randomdoc1

I thought someone on this thread said that some of the exams on the boards looked like they were nearly lifted out of the prites. I'm also guessing there is probably some overlap in the material and you can only formulate so many questions on HIV related CNS diseases, drug drug interactions in psychiatry, etc. Or at the very least, there will be some common themes that taking old prites might be helpful in hammering in some more?

10. splik

splik Professional Cat at Large
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    PRITE questions do not reflect board questions (neither in style, nor in content) so I would not think it high yield to use them. People who score well on the PRITE do well on the first part of the boards (no correlation with the vignettes as far as we know), but scoring poorly on the PRITE does not predict poor performance on the boards. that might be because the questions are different, the PRITE ones are not as good, or it might be because people are much more likely to study for the boards (and quite rightly, I didnt know anyone who studied for the PRITE but we didnt take it seriously as my program)

one advantage the PRITE has is they dont ask negative questions, and neither does the boards (to my knowledge). Spiegel and Kenny have a fair few "which is false" type questions which are not typical of real exam questions. They also have questions with unfocused stems and heterogenous options like "which of these random unrelated statements is true?" which you dont get on the boards or PRITE

11. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Just got done with my first pass through Kenny and Spiegel, and about to start the vignette section. My BoardsVitals subscription is expiring, don't think I'll renew it, the questions are pretty nit picky and too detailed, in my opinion. How's everyone else doing?

Sometimes it's just so hard to get motivated ughhhh

12. randomdoc1

What percent did you score on the board vitals? I also found some of the questions to be a little too detailed. I'm getting 64% on board vitals, a little lower than average. But just slightly.

13. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    I'm at 64% too, actually, doing better on Kenny and Spiegel. I mainly got it for the vignettes section which I found fairly disappointing.

14. lithiumland

Resident [Any Field]
    this is painful. started board vitals, but lost momentum. ditched btb. I'm gonna ask a lame question but which K&S 2nd edition or 3rd edition... the one that just came out?
    Anybody use trulearn? the add up top?

15. splik

splik Professional Cat at Large
    Physician Faculty

Attending Physician
    well I bought the 2nd edition the 3rd edition is pretty similar only worse as they tried to update it to DSM-5 but ended up making some errors from what I can tell so it's an epic fail. also the boards are not even on DSM-5 until next year

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    I'm using 2nd edition. Didn't even know they came out with a third edition!

18. thetawave

Attending Physician
    The third edition is not much different from the second edition, from what I can tell. So I guess I just spent 70 bucks for 8 video vignettes. And what's up with vignette number 19? Ugghggh

19. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Yea, vignette 19 was tough!

20. thetawave

Attending Physician
    Tough, and slightly inaccurate. I've noticed that trend with K&S. Overall, it's a pretty good review though. Hey, anyone here studying in Portland, OR? Would be great to meet up for a study session sometime before doomsday! :D

21. Monkey House

Monkey House Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    The 3rd edition has a horribly designed interactive q-bank - but the questions themselves are good!

22. Dr1216

Attending Physician
    I was thinking about buying the third edition just for the video vignettes. Sad to hear that there are only 8. :-/ I guess I should just keep my money then and stick with the second edition that I have?

23. Monkey House

Monkey House Senior Member
    Physician

Attending Physician
    yes, esp as DSM-5 is featured in this 3rd edition which is not useful for the upcoming exam.

Dr1216 likes this.
  24. thetawave

Attending Physician
    I haven't done them yet, but I can let you know if they are any good... I'll be so glad when this is over...!

Dr1216 likes this.
  25. thetawave

Attending Physician
    BTB says that dosing of meds is not tested, but S&K does test dosing. Does anyone know if dosing is or is not tested on the exam?

26. pinkladies

Resident [Any Field]
    Anyone using Focus?
    I've gone through K+S questions twice and most of the Kauffman neurology questions. Wondering if I should repeat some of this stuff more vs. buy the Focus question book. I thought about BV but it doesn't sound great...

27. redsoxdave

Medical Student
    Working on my 2nd pass through K&S now. I did the FOCUS book, the questions are easier than K&S. They go a lot faster too because the book only gives you info on the right answer. Not like K&S which explains why the others are wrong. It's a good book if you're looking for more questions to test yourself but the answer section is definitely not as thorough as K&S. I felt like it was worth the money but I would rather be over prepared and get exposure to as many questions as possible.

28. ednorton

Attending Physician
    Hi Folks , how's everyone doing with the prep ?
    I am on my 3rd pass through K&S. Just got done with test # 3 today.
    Have also done the BTB Q bank 3 times. Have only seen a handful of videos though. The videos are a drag to watch really.
    On my 2nd pass through FOCUS also.

3 more weeks to go ..!!

#826 ednorton, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  29. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Ugh I still don't really feel the pressure or fire under my butt!

trustforward likes this.
  30. ednorton

Attending Physician
    This is probably a good thing.:)

31. Dr1216

Attending Physician
    I feel you @PistolPete. It's hard to stay motivated. So ready for this to be over.

I'm on my second pass of K&S. Debating about getting another resource just to switch it up in these last few weeks. I might just get Focus if it's such a quick run through as @redsoxdave says. But I'm also debating about a one month Qbank subscription instead with Boardvitals or this Truelearn that keeps being advertised on the forums.

32. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Have any of you guys used the question review book by Kaplan and Saddock? I have it and wondering if I should do some questions. On amazon, looks like mixed reviews, with one saying it's not at all representative of the boards....

33. Dr1216

Attending Physician
    I have the same book and did a little of it early on before stopping. It is overly detailed and seems like a great resource if you're just trying to learn as much minutiae from the Kaplan and Saddock text but I don't think it's focused enough to be high yield for the boards.

34. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    OK thanks! I'll just stick to another pass of K&S I guess.

35. thetawave

Attending Physician
    I was thinking about buying the third edition just for the video vignettes. Sad to hear that there are only 8. :-/ I guess I should just keep my money then and stick with the second edition that I have?

So after completing all of them, I would definitely advise you to save your money- those vignettes were waaaaaay too easy. I hope it's like that on the actual exam, but somehow I doubt it......uggh. Wonder if there are harder ones out there somewhere.....

36. thetawave

Attending Physician
    So after completing all of them, I would definitely advise you to save your money- those vignettes were waaaaaay too easy. I hope it's like that on the actual exam, but somehow I doubt it......uggh. Wonder if there are harder ones out there somewhere.....

Dr1216 likes this.
  37. thetawave

Attending Physician
    Format question- on the abpn sample screens it shows 4 hours and 49 minutes remaining- does this mean they time you in 4 hour blocks, and then close you out, or do they give you all 8.5 hours up front, count down from there, and you can spend as much time on any section as you like? Hope that made sense!

38. ednorton

Attending Physician
    Hi there , I am not sure what you mean by Format question . Are there some sample test questions on the APBN website ?

39. thetawave

Attending Physician
    No, there are just some sample snapshots of what the screens will look like- I was just wondering if they start the countdown from the 8.5 hours total exam time, or if they split the time up into blocks. And if we can spend more time on some sections (like the vignette sections) and less on others.

40. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Good question, I'd like to know the answer as well. It seems like the exam starts off with 8.5 hours and we manage the time as we see fit?

41. thetawave

Attending Physician
    Well if that's the case, I'd better figure out how much time I can spend on each section maximum, so I don't run out of time! :-o

42. thetawave

Attending Physician
    Alright kiddos, here's the scoop. I just called ABPN- the time starts with the full 460 minutes and counts down from there. You can spend as much time on any section as you like.

43. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    Nice! Thanks. So 1.15 minutes per question, although I don't anticipate staying the full 8 hours. Does anyone know if we get lockers to put our food and personal belongings, just like for steps 1 and 2?

44. hamstergang

hamstergang may or may not contain hamsters

Attending Physician
    I did.

45. trustforward

Attending Physician
    Just want to get clarification bc something doesn't add up...Where is 460 coming from? The full allotted time (including the 10min of crap before and after exam, the 8 blocks @avg. 60min/block, and 50min break time) =9.5hrs (570min). ???

46. trustforward

Attending Physician
    Could anyone give an estimate of the amount of time each video lasted (roughly)? I'm anxious about pacing with the additional time it takes to watch the slips (with 17-21 videos throughout).

Many thanks in advance for your help.

thetawave likes this.
  47. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
    I believe the ABPN website says we get 540 minutes = 9 hours

48. trustforward

Attending Physician
  49. thetawave

Attending Physician
    Yah, they don't make it clear at all. The woman on the phone said they take the 50 minutes of break out of your total time of 510. I also thought it was 570 minutes but I guess not. :-( I see that it does say we have 570 minutes total on the website though. Ugh so confusing. Maybe she was wrong- hopefully!!!
    You could call and double check... she was very nice at least. Ha.

#847 thetawave, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  50. trustforward

Attending Physician
    Ugh. so they take out the 50min automatically? And unused break time cannot be used for testing? Thank you for helping to clarify, theta!
    #irritated.

51. PistolPete

Physician

Attending Physician
  52. thetawave

Attending Physician
    This is what she said, and no, the break time cannot be used for testing. (I asked her that also)