Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the info guys ..
At this point , is anyone doing anything more than BTB , Spiegel and a little bit of the misc. stuff ( Kaufmann , Focus etc ) ..?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the info guys ..
At this point , is anyone doing anything more than BTB , Spiegel and a little bit of the misc. stuff ( Kaufmann , Focus etc ) ..?
nope, just as you mentioned. Trying to figure out which I want to use for the next week (to focus on one and not get bogged down with too many resources!).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just doing board vitals
I was thinking of getting a one month subscription, vs. just going over my notes from K&S and BTB. Are the questions much different from K&S? I don't want to rehash stuff I already know...

I was thinking of getting a one month subscription, vs. just going over my notes from K&S and BTB. Are the questions much different from K&S? I don't want to rehash stuff I already know...
I was thinking about doing the same. I'm concerned because with BV board review psych tab, it prompts to purchase psych Qs and Neuro Qs separately-- pistolpete: are there neuro Qs in the BV psychiatry Qbank?

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking about doing the same. I'm concerned because with BV board review psych tab, it prompts to purchase psych Qs and Neuro Qs separately-- pistolpete: are there neuro Qs in the BV psychiatry Qbank?

Yes, you can buy separate neuro questions, or buy the psychiatry questions which also have some neuro inside. The separate neuro questions I bought when I initially bought a 1 month subscription seemed to be very detailed, probably more useful for the neuro boards. The BV questions are OK, I've already gone through K+S 3 times so don't think it's worth it for me to do it again, but I think K+S questions are the best. Also, the BV vignettes suck.

Anybody know what the overall pass rate is? Is it something like 90% of people that pass?

I read that 82% of test takers last year passed. You had to get above a 68% to pass the 2015 test. One of my friends said she got below 68% in Neuro but did well enough in psych that it balanced out. She also said last year was one of the lowest pass rates they've had. 90% is usually how many pass. Here's hoping....

I read that 82% of test takers last year passed. You had to get above a 68% to pass the 2015 test. One of my friends said she got below 68% in Neuro but did well enough in psych that it balanced out. She also said last year was one of the lowest pass rates they've had. 90% is usually how many pass. Here's hoping....
I wonder why the pass rate was lower, since now you don't have to pass neuro and psych separately? It seems like that would increase the pass rate, not decrease it. Did they make the questions harder? Hmmmmmm

I wonder why the pass rate was lower, since now you don't have to pass neuro and psych separately? It seems like that would increase the pass rate, not decrease it. Did they make the questions harder? Hmmmmmm
I was still under the impression that we had to pass both psych and neuro separately to get a passing score… If that's the case, then perhaps last year the passing score for neuro was below 68% (and your friend passed bc passing rate was lower neuro va. Total)...?

Hey guys. I'm glad there is a discussion going on about the upcoming boards. I am going to take next week. I am doing Spiegel and am doing the questions on Beat the Boards. I find the beat the boards to be really simplistic. I went thought all the questions in Spiegel and am going over them one more time. Later this week I am going to work on being able to write down the theorist and their stages from memory as well as the enzyme deficiencies and their characteristics. Those are free points in my opinion.

I was still under the impression that we had to pass both psych and neuro separately to get a passing score… If that's the case, then perhaps last year the passing score for neuro was below 68% (and your friend passed bc passing rate was lower neuro va. Total)...?

They used to require that all sections of the test be passed independently. I found an article that reports how the ABPN, because only a few people were failing as a result of failing a section, decided to change the way a pass was earned. Now you just need an overall percentage of the test correct in order to pass. This means that you can do really well in one area to compensate for a weaker area and still pass. I think this is a good thing. :) Below is the article.

http://psychnews.psychiatryonline.org/doi/10.1176/appi.pn.2014.4b12

Members don't see this ad :)
That makes me feel a bit better although one of my friends who took it last year said he had a few questions on the p450 stuff and said just to memorize it :/

I developed a neat little chart for myself that includes all the important CYPs, the inducers, inhibitors and substrates. The high yield stuff only. It literally takes me like 2 minutes to write it out, but now I just have it burned into my memory which is cool. Isorta know where the drug is on the chart so it is easy to remember. The only thing I am having some trouble with is where the heck to put Valproic Acid. I had a question in Spiegel that called it the classic inhibitor of 3A4, but I could not find that in my overly populated refrence charts like the Indiana University Chart or the Carlat chart I have. Anyone have any insight into this topic of the VPA?

I developed a neat little chart for myself that includes all the important CYPs, the inducers, inhibitors and substrates. The high yield stuff only. It literally takes me like 2 minutes to write it out, but now I just have it burned into my memory which is cool. Isorta know where the drug is on the chart so it is easy to remember. The only thing I am having some trouble with is where the heck to put Valproic Acid. I had a question in Spiegel that called it the classic inhibitor of 3A4, but I could not find that in my overly populated refrence charts like the Indiana University Chart or the Carlat chart I have. Anyone have any insight into this topic of the VPA?
What was the question?

Actually, just found this wonderfully arranged chart, for what it's worth:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/hivmentalhealthtraining/pdf/Drug_Interactions.pdf

Am I understanding the email sent yesterday about the vignette part, if there are 8 or however many questions on a vignette and you miss one but get the other 7 right they count it as 8 wrong?

Am I understanding the email sent yesterday about the vignette part, if there are 8 or however many questions on a vignette and you miss one but get the other 7 right they count it as 8 wrong?

No. If they ask you to pick three choices out of 7 on a particular question, and you don't get those exact 3 right, you get the question wrong. They won't give you a zero on the entire vignette which might have 6 questions in total, for example.

No. If they ask you to pick three choices out of 7 on a particular question, and you don't get those exact 3 right, you get the question wrong. They won't give you a zero on the entire vignette which might have 6 questions in total, for example.
Thanks, the way I read the email I was freaking out, well freaking out more than I already am

am a bit late to the game, haven't finished spiegel and kenny yet, but am annoyed at questions with wrong answers. like they say stopping clozapine before ECT is required. absolute nonsense, it is an augmentation to clozaril in refractory disorders. They claim that schizophrenia has no increased risk of homicide, schizophrenics are at least 5x as likely to murder someone. they claimed that the combination of CBT + SSRI was the the treatment of choice for panic disorder but there is no advantage to combining therapy and meds in anxiety disorders in adults, certainly not for panic disorder. grrr

am a bit late to the game, haven't finished spiegel and kenny yet, but am annoyed at questions with wrong answers. like they say stopping clozapine before ECT is required. absolute nonsense, it is an augmentation to clozaril in refractory disorders. They claim that schizophrenia has no increased risk of homicide, schizophrenics are at least 5x as likely to murder someone. they claimed that the combination of CBT + SSRI was the the treatment of choice for panic disorder but there is no advantage to combining therapy and meds in anxiety disorders in adults, certainly not for panic disorder. grrr
I'd love to see references? I found these just from a quick google search
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3918025/
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/scienc...g-those-with-childhood-conduct-problems.shtml
http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/180/6/490

Last edited:

I knew about the obviously increased violence risk in Schizophrenics but did not realize the other two. Hmm ..
Here are some other mistakes I remember from Spiegel - Fragile X is NOT the most common cause of MR overall , it's the most common inherited cause . Also , HIV lymphomas do cause ring enhancing lesions. I am sure there are others I don't remember right now.

There seems to be very few addiction psychiatry in the practice questions I am doing.

Take it and maybe fail or wait until next year? Waited a lil too long to start studying. I graduated in 2015 and missed the deadline to register. I do private practice and moonlight at hospitals a few weekends a month.........

Take it and maybe fail or wait until next year? Waited a lil too long to start studying. I graduated in 2015 and missed the deadline to register. I do private practice and moonlight at hospitals a few weekends a month.........

At this point , you have most likely already paid the 2500 $ fee so I say go ahead and give it a shot.

Anyone here or anyone heard of someone who failed the boards? How long did you or they study?

For those who has passed boards, how much did u scored on K&S test first time. Average of all test?

So nothing bad happens if you fail two years out from graduation?

So nothing bad happens if you fail two years out from graduation?

I think you might be a little too anxious about this. What have you done so far in terms of preparation and when did you start studying ?.

I think you might be a little too anxious about this. What have you done so far in terms of preparation and when did you start studying ?.
I have SEVERE performance anxiety. Bought BTB didnt like it. Used only spiegel and kenny. Started a month ago. I feel ok about the psych, neuro not great. I paid for it and will take it knowing I may well fail as long as there will be no dire consequences.

Last edited:
Take a benzo and give it a try... at least you will know what it's like for next year if you fail, which you probably won't. Although the benzo may give you amnesia for the event.... which might be a good thing haha :) Nothing bad will happen except you are out a boat load of money, and you might feel embarrassed if you've told people you are taking it and then have to tell them you failed. Which odds are you probably won't. Good luck!!

Take a benzo and give it a try... at least you will know what it's like for next year if you fail, which you probably won't. Although the benzo may give you amnesia for the event.... which might be a good thing haha :) Nothing bad will happen except you are out a boat load of money, and you might feel embarrassed if you've told people you are taking it and then have to tell them you failed. Which odds are you probably won't. Good luck!!
Thanks so much

Some of these vignettes are just so touching.

They touch me in ways I'm not used to.

I have SEVERE performance anxiety. Bought BTB didnt like it. Used only spiegel and kenny. Started a month ago. I feel ok about the psych, neuro not great. I paid for it and will take it knowing I may well fail as long as there will be no dire consequences.

You're right, there are no dire consequences other than being driven towards performance through internal expectations.

So.... that SUCKED a bag of dcks. My first and only thoughts after that waterboarding.

So.... that SUCKED a bag of dcks. My first and only thoughts after that waterboarding.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt that way. Ugh.....

Best of luck to those taking it tomorrow!

Couldn't agree more. That was awful...

I walked out of the test... given the stats (82% pass rate last year) that I probably passed but still I don't want to pay 2500 bucks for that dumb crap again. That is really my biggest worry. I finished the test with 2 hours remaining so I don't think timing is an issue though i hated the 8.5 hr timer countdown.

1. I did that damn spiegel book about 6x through which def helped for the 4 free standing MCQ sections.
2. I also did btb online course and its qbank

I hated the 4 vignettes sections. First, because it was draining and tedious to even read it then watching those 3-4 minute videos.Then, picking 2 or 3 out of 6 answers just kinda blows because missing one means you miss the whole thing. I did like the 250+ vignette q's in beat the boards and the whatever 100+ q's from spiegel and just really didn't feel that it helped that much. My thoughts are everyone kinda struggles more on the vignettes so the laws of averages will balance that out.

Neurology is my strong point and i am so glad i didn't do kaufman book even though i started it. More than enough from spiegel and btb... even that together is overkill.

Last edited:
Glad I didn't waste time on Neuro. K&S was definitely helpful for standalone questions. The Vignettes were awful, as were the things they wanted us to diagnose based on limited info. The answer choice of "I would've been a GOOD psychiatrist and asked about KEY diagnostic criteria rather than try to make up some garbage based off of half-assed ancillary info" was NOT an option and should have been.

I am just glad it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure I'll be taking it again next year. I almost left after the first section. WAY worse than I imagined.

I'm sure I'll be taking it again next year. I almost left after the first section. WAY worse than I imagined.
It's probably not as bad as you feel. Now if you pass, you'll be glad you didn't wait.

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea how well I did other than the several questions I'm sure I got wrong.

Glad I didn't waste time on Neuro. K&S was definitely helpful for standalone questions. The Vignettes were awful, as were the things they wanted us to diagnose based on limited info. The answer choice of "I would've been a GOOD psychiatrist and asked about KEY diagnostic criteria rather than try to make up some garbage based off of half-assed ancillary info" was NOT an option and should have been.

This x1000. Standalone sections I felt like I got 75-80% correct easily. Vignettes were horrendous. Whoever came up with the questions for them should be horsewhipped.

It's probably not as bad as you feel. Now if you pass, you'll be glad you didn't wait.

If it makes you feel any better, I have no idea how well I did other than the several questions I'm sure I got wrong.

If I pass I feel like it will be a MIRACLE. I blew tons of neuro qs. And the vignettes sucked because they told you the right answer and usually it wasn't what I answered. I will start studying in January this time! I am sure you and everyone else here passed.

So overall I thought the exam was decent. I hope I did well enough to pass.

I did two blocks in a row, 10 min break, two blocks in a row, 20 minute lunch, two blocks, 10 minute break, one block, 5 minute break then the last block. Finished with about 2 hours to spare. Time wasn't an issue. The testing center was nice. I definitely recommend for future test takers to take 10 minute breaks rather than 5 minute breaks because it will take about a minute to get out and in due to them taking your palm print and checking your pockets, etc.

The sections all had 60 questions and went vignette, stand-alone, vignette, stand-alone, etc. The stand-alone questions were mostly pretty clear and not too difficult. I definitely got several right because of Spiegel, some were practically lifted from it. Boards Vitals was OK but I didn't remember any questions from the board exam that made me think of Board Vitals. I did Spiegel 3 times and I thought that was plenty, and the vignette section at the back I found pretty helpful (I used the second edition). I did all of the vignettes from Board Vitals and didn't think they were particularly helpful (mostly "what's the diagnosis based on this video" type questions). The stand-alone Board Vitals questions were so so, a bit too detailed and like I mentioned, not particularly helpful for boards.

Spiegel was good enough for neuro I feel like. Kaufman neuro notes were too detailed.

Overall my Spiegel percentage was 77.2% across the 6 tests. I scored 77% on test 1, 75% on test 2, 79% on test 3, 74% on test 4, 81% on test 5 and 77% on test 6. I scored 75% on the vignettes (which I thought were easier than the stand alone questions). On Board Vitals was about 74% (only half the question bank finished).

I didn't use Beat the Boards and from what I gather from most of my friends, they thought it was a so so preparer for the actual board exam. It was clear to me that those who did not use Spiegel missed a few questions that they could have gotten right otherwise (although the same could be true for me with respect to Boards Vitals, so who knows).

Overall, the vignettes were hit or miss. The video quality was good, but several of the "pick 3" questions I would definitely know 2 of the answers, and then from the remaining 3 or so choices, I could pick one or two for the third answer choice, so that was tricky. They definitely tested a lot of conditions that aren't seen in practice as much. On many vignettes I got a sense that the writer was a psychodynamic psychiatrist.

My test had one exact question repeated 3 times and another different question repeated 3 times (I knew the first question, but not the second one, so I either got 6/6 or 3/6 since I picked the same answer each time).

I'm not gonna stress too much over it although I think I'll definitely be nervous on results day. I'll update once I know my score.

Reactions: 2 users