Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So what time do people anticipate the scores coming up (assuming they come up tomorrow, which is quite a leap with these clowns)?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Exactly. Letting us know what the time will be is the least they can do. Are we supposed to keep checking midnight tonight or not?

Last year, the results were out around 9 am in the morning, as far as I remember. I think, we can see our name in the certified list at least 1 hour before. So 8 am to type your last name @ VerifyCert

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the email saying results going to be available tomorrow! Tomorrow it is!

My friend told me they found out around 9am last year

I got the email as well stating tomorrow scores report.

Does anyone know why under Examination Application and Status when you click on "Apply for an Examination" it allows me to apply for Child and Adolescent, Pain medicine and Sleep medicine Certification exam?
Is anyone else getting these option on theirs? I don't have any training in Sleep or Pain medicine. This is weird....
What do you guys see on yours? Thanks!
The wait is frustrating

Yup, I finally got the email an hour ago saying the results will be out tomorrow.

Does anyone know why under Examination Application and Status when you click on "Apply for an Examination" it allows me to apply for Child and Adolescent, Pain medicine and Sleep medicine Certification exam?
Is anyone else getting these option on theirs? I don't have any training in Sleep or Pain medicine. This is weird....
The wait is frustrating
I only get an error message when I clicked on the ‘Apply for an examination”
Looking at page 21 of this thread, people had both types of messages (error message vs given an option to apply to other exams) with no bearing on whether they passed or not.
Could mean something or nothing this time.
Another day my friends. Hoping for the best for all of us.

The wait is frustrating
I have the same but only pain and sleep medicine. I will be giving Sleep medicine Boards next year and it's allowing me to go ahead with further steps. But people got error message last year and they passed the exam. I got it error last year and did not make it.

I remember last year the results were posted around 4 am on December 13th on verifycert and the folio. The email was sent around 8:30 am same day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scores are up. Passed with flying colors.

Reactions: 6 users
Passed!
congrats to all.
Passed with good margin! Congratulations all who made it. People who didn’t make it, please don’t loose hope for this silly exam! I will write my experience later on.

Reactions: 3 users
Passed! Still cannot believe it. Congratulations to all ")

Passed. Will write how I studied for future test-takers later.

Passed as well. Congrats to those who have. Kind of nice seeing users who’ve been on the journey since the “what are my chances?” day pass as well. To those who did not you will get there the next time around, you have some insight into this beast of a test.
Will type out study strategy once it’s not 2am.

Reactions: 2 users
I did not pass again.

• Care
I passed too with a score well above the mean. I only studied for 3 months. I used beat the boards (watched lectures, reviewed the binder and answered all questions), Kenneth Spiegel and Board Vitals (only the clinical vignette section). I think KS was VERY helpful for the MCQ part of the exam. None of the resources I used were extremely helpful for the Vignette section. The KS videos and vignettes are too easy. Board Vitals probably has the best vignettes. BTB MCQs and Vignettes are not the greatest. One very important thing: Memorize all the concepts from KS.

I barely passed so thought my experience might be helpful too and you can learn from my mistakes. I am not a good test taker to begin with but surprisingly, I came out of the exam 2 hours earlier and thought it was straight forward and easy "you either know it or you don't." May be because exam looks like K&S.
I have studied Speigal 1 time and did one of the tests again. Collected all the wrong answers into one of the study softwares (Anki and Rem notes) and revised those a few times (but inconsistently and did not do all the mistakes again so I have repeated 50% multiple times only). I had BTB 2 years prior to exam and listened to all high yield topics 2-3 times over the years. Did half of BTB Q Bank but seemed easy and straight forward so moved on to BV and Psych genius (did 50-70% of them). Both were OK but nothing beats Speigal as a QBank. I found BV vignettes were the closest to exam. Only did 50% of BV vignettes. I have spent 1 month focused on studying until 2 weeks prior to exam where I got busy with life events. If I will take the exam again, I would spend double that time on exam (cramming), hopefully no life events, do Spiegal Q Bank and BV vignettes 2-3 times, and do daily blocks to build my stamina, review my software note more frequently.

Passed!

I was already working 5 days/week as an attending and only studied during the weekends.
Stressful and I did not feel confident walking into the exam and I felt horrible when I finished the exam.

I used Beat the Board and Board Vitals. I watched all the BTB videos. The questions on BTB were not that great.
Board Vitals questions were better, more like the actual exam.

I didn’t use the Spiegel (sp?) that many mentioned but maybe that is a good resource for future test-takers.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone I passed!!!! Well above the margin. I'm so happy. Thank you everyone for your support on here.

Thanks to everyone who posts here. I’ve been checking obsessively and it’s so nice to know I’m alone. So happy to have passed.

For studying, typically an average to slightly above average test taker. Went through Kenny and Speigel multiple times, and did some of BTB, felt K&S was better prep. Didn’t end up trying any of the other resources. Finished the test a couple hours early and thought for sure I didn’t pass, but it went fine. Probably the most useful tidbit I got from BTB was that the amount of time you take on the test doesn’t always correlate with score.

thanks again for this supportive environment.

Passed with a score well above the mean. Studied only for one month, basically went through K&S. (though used to get 95%+ on PRITE).

Just to give a bit more detail: I don't recall my exact PRITE percentiles, I was usually third in my class of 15 (and one of those was on PRITE committee...) and performance bars noticeably above matched cohorts / program norm. I used Spiegel+Kenny which I went through once thoroughly and then for a second pass I just read the explanations for questions that I missed the first time. Something like an hour a day for a month or two (at most). I started to use Psych Genius but ultimately I didn't like the quality of the explanations.

The video questions are often completely out of the blue and no way to prepare specifically for those questions. The actual videos and questions about the videos themselves were usually pretty easy, it was the follow-on things that were hard.

MC very "know it or you don't." Again S+K prepares you well for this. Know neurotransmitter/receptor stuff.

Background: Score slightly above average on Prite. Average but not outstanding knowledge base going into studying. I was definitely not the best read resident.
Mindset: My "last" test, so I'm going to try to do well and get this over with once and for all.
Final Test Result: >95th percentile, based on given SD.
Study time length: 1 month, 3-4 hours a day
Methods: K+S x5 and 1/2 of PG. I reviewed the entire thread. K+S seemed to be the most reliable source, though it had an equal number of detractors. I figured I would bank on it. I do not like using multiple resources.
Areas to especially focus on for this test: Pathology and their anatomical and neurotransmitter correlates. Trauma Disorders, especially the difference between normal traumatic responses and pathological. Sleep Disorders. Interpersonal Psychotherapy and its application.
How to Study: Every test is different, but my strategy worked for this sitting. Did every K+S question thoroughly and multiple times, but most importantly focused on the wrong answers and explanations. That's where the money is at. Be able to give a three-liner for even the oddest answer choice. Internalize the explanations.
K+S: This is the test. For the multiple choice questions, there was honestly very few that wasn't covered in the K+S explanations, some identical. K+S overemphasized metabolic disease, none of which was on the test. It also overemphasized neurology, but if you can get down the neurology answers and explanations in K+S, you will be prepared for the neurology portion of the test. I have a shoddy neurology background, but scored the best on this section for this test. No supplemental resources.
Psych Genius: It is sold as a more thorough and more difficult source than K+S. It's nothing like the exam but certainly can help you get a few points here and there. I do not feel like it can establish the conceptual and factual knowledge base like K+S. The explanations were written sloppily and quite frankly -- seemingly -- by people who I would not trust to take the test for me.
Vignettes: The best prep for this is just to study for the multiple choice questions, get a good foundational base, and get a feel for the format with the ABPN practice demo. Some vignettes are impossible to study for and are from left field. The K+S vignettes, while good questions, are not like the exam. The PG vignettes were nothing like the test.
Overall: This test is doable and study-able. I would recommend studying. I do think many people can pass without studying. I left the exam knowing I passed.

Background: Did well on PRITEs without studying (80%ile +).
Currently: Attending with decent amount of down time so I studied for like 2-5 hours a day, 4-6 days a week for a month before the test. Probably an hour a day 3-5 days a week the month before that. But also - was nervous about being a new attending so I was reading quite a bit for clinical stuff since July. I think that helped a bit.
How I studied: Only used K+S. I bought the new edition but from what I understand it was almost exactly the same as the old one. The benefit is it came with the code for the online version of the exams, so I could quickly hop on between patients and fire out half a block or something. Went through all the Qs 2x, and a few of the tougher ones maybe 3-4x.

The test itself was much more straightforward, "know it or you don't know it" than K+S. Much less neurology than K+S. A bit more eating d/o and specifics about some less common personality disorders on the actual exam than K+S.

Lesson: Focus on K+S psychiatry, especially the rationale for their answer selections. Skim over its neurology.

Good luck everyone.

I see an option to update clinic status: Not sure which one to choose between A and B? Need some input if anybody is aware of.

1. "Clinically Active": Any amount of direct and/or consultative patient care has been provided in the preceding 24 months. This includes the supervision of residents.
A. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care sufficient to complete Performance-in-Practice (PIP) Units.
B. Engaged in direct and/or consultative care not sufficient to complete PIP Units.

Passed, woohoo! 68% or 1 standard dev from the mean. I am a very bad test taker so very encouraging for all. I used Board vitals , Beat the boards, RosReview. heard about K&S too late so did not use it. BV because I needed some self assessment CME and ABPN had link to them. IMHO, BV was not useful. Too much minutia on obscure details. Then a colleague who passed it in 2019 recommended BTB. I bought the whole package: livestream lectures and all. It was definitely helpful. Too much emphasis on neurology and rare metabolic diseases. Still, I would recommend it for those who like to listen to lectures as well as good question bank. I went through their questions twice. Rosreview I bought two weeks from the test date (also bc another colleague was using it) and was able to go through their question bank twice. It was good too. The explanation overall very good, with pictures. I started studying with BV in Jan 2020 not too seriously. Then started BTB in July 2020. Listened to all lectures, some even twice/three times. There you go!

Background: Score slightly above average on Prite. Average but not outstanding knowledge base going into studying. I was definitely not the best read resident.
Mindset: My "last" test, so I'm going to try to do well and get this over with once and for all.
Final Test Result: >95th percentile, based on given SD.
Study time length: 1 month, 3-4 hours a day
Methods: K+S x5 and 1/2 of PG. I reviewed the entire thread. K+S seemed to be the most reliable source, though it had an equal number of detractors. I figured I would bank on it. I do not like using multiple resources.
Areas to especially focus on for this test: Pathology and their anatomical and neurotransmitter correlates. Trauma Disorders, especially the difference between normal traumatic responses and pathological. Sleep Disorders. Interpersonal Psychotherapy and its application.
How to Study: Every test is different, but my strategy worked for this sitting. Did every K+S question thoroughly and multiple times, but most importantly focused on the wrong answers and explanations. That's where the money is at. Be able to give a three-liner for even the oddest answer choice. Internalize the explanations.
K+S: This is the test. For the multiple choice questions, there was honestly very few that wasn't covered in the K+S explanations, some identical. K+S overemphasized metabolic disease, none of which was on the test. It also overemphasized neurology, but if you can get down the neurology answers and explanations in K+S, you will be prepared for the neurology portion of the test. I have a shoddy neurology background, but scored the best on this section for this test. No supplemental resources.
Psych Genius: It is sold as a more thorough and more difficult source than K+S. It's nothing like the exam but certainly can help you get a few points here and there. I do not feel like it can establish the conceptual and factual knowledge base like K+S. The explanations were written sloppily and quite frankly -- seemingly -- by people who I would not trust to take the test for me.
Vignettes: The best prep for this is just to study for the multiple choice questions, get a good foundational base, and get a feel for the format with the ABPN practice demo. Some vignettes are impossible to study for and are from left field. The K+S vignettes, while good questions, are not like the exam. The PG vignettes were nothing like the test.
Overall: This test is doable and study-able. I would recommend studying. I do think many people can pass without studying. I left the exam knowing I passed.

yes!
this is the truth right here.
K+S must be studied hardcore as your main resource.
Did really well on this test, but did have advantage of having a study partner that took it last year and didn’t pass.
we used K+S and BTB course since he had access to the course. What he did different in studying from last year was to have the both of us each week with whatever topics were on the schedule, make 30-50 questions of our own complete with our own explanations and test each other every week and “teach” each other when we got questions wrong, according to our explanations of our own questions.
if you can teach another person the concept, then you know it cold.
suffice to say, my friend passed this time of course and he’s in those little bars on the right side with his score!

good luck to all future takers and repeaters! You will pass!

I passed. I'm straight out of residency. I studied 2 months while working my new job. I did 75% of the stand-alone question bank from beat the boards, and the week before the test I reviewed the psychiatry and neurology sections from my old annotated first aid for step one book. I was nervous going into the test because it seemed like many others studied more and I wasn't doing stellar on the BtB questions but I scored above average on the real thing. I'm a good test taker based on MCAT and steps exams, no idea how I did on PRITEs b/c I never checked my results. Starting last month (well after the test was over) I've been watching the BtB lectures when I have downtime so I can collect the CME credit - I think they are good quality review but I don't know how much more helpful they would have been for the test. I think the question bank was where the money was at and I learned a good deal from doing it. I do not think I would have passed without studying but who knows.

I think it is morbidly hilarious how the test result letter goes on to say how now we must pay them money each year to maintain our certification and then are lucky to get a "free" MOC exam every 10 years. Congratulations! You get the privilege of continuing to pay us money! That and there isn't explanation for what they mean by "Engaged in direct and/or consultative care sufficient to complete Performance-in-Practice (PIP) Units." I have a regular clinical job where I see patients, try to convince them to take their meds, and sometimes they get a little better - does that afford me the honor of being allowed to complete these hallowed PIP units? (whatever the F those are?)

I passed. I'm straight out of residency. I studied 2 months while working my new job. I did 75% of the stand-alone question bank from beat the boards, and the week before the test I reviewed the psychiatry and neurology sections from my old annotated first aid for step one book. I was nervous going into the test because it seemed like many others studied more and I wasn't doing stellar on the BtB questions but I scored above average on the real thing. I'm a good test taker based on MCAT and steps exams, no idea how I did on PRITEs b/c I never checked my results. Starting last month (well after the test was over) I've been watching the BtB lectures when I have downtime so I can collect the CME credit - I think they are good quality review but I don't know how much more helpful they would have been for the test. I think the question bank was where the money was at and I learned a good deal from doing it. I do not think I would have passed without studying but who knows.

I think it is morbidly hilarious how the test result letter goes on to say how now we must pay them money each year to maintain our certification and then are lucky to get a "free" MOC exam every 10 years. Congratulations! You get the privilege of continuing to pay us money! That and there isn't explanation for what they mean by "Engaged in direct and/or consultative care sufficient to complete Performance-in-Practice (PIP) Units." I have a regular clinical job where I see patients, try to convince them to take their meds, and sometimes they get a little better - does that afford me the honor of being allowed to complete these hallowed PIP units? (whatever the F those are?)
Lol your last paragraph... no idea what these pip units are

Hello every one,
I am new to this forum
Hope you all are staying safe and healthy
Congratulations to every one who have passed.
I need some help as I was not able to pass again.
If any one is interested in tutoring and guiding me for the next year I will be very grateful to that person.
I am willing to pay the lessons fee if its ok please don't mind
I have given the exam 3 times and I have done everything possible.
K and S, Focus, BTB, Board Vitals etc. I wanted to have 1 hr lesson once or twice a week starting from jan
Please respond if anyone can help me in this situation it will be very much appreciated.
How can I contact that person?

Thanks
Waiting for the responses as I want to start as soon as possible

Last edited:
I’m in the same boat ! I consider myself quite smart but can’t seem to master the exam and pass ! I don’t even know where to start with resources !

passed with average score on the exam.

Used K/S book twice, first time went in detailed (reading all wrong and right answer as well as understanding the concepts), and did psychiatry genius x3, first time went in detailed. Looked up stuff online if didnt have clear understanding or not covered in detailed on qbnaks. Had a study partner as well.

i failed the exam last year and had used BTB and K/S. The K/S only did half of it at most. I think having study partner helped and actually understanding and spending time on each question the first time around helped. I hope this helps people who did not pass this year. Also I am not a good test taker and never did well on my PRITE exams either

I’m in the same boat ! I consider myself quite smart but can’t seem to master the exam and pass ! I don’t even know where to start with resources !

I saw you previously said you used all of the sources mentioned here. Did you use any other sources? I only mentioned the review online courses. I have a lot more I use for references in order to study the subjects: Kaufman text book, various neuro books I still have from med school days, online searches, kaplan & Sad text books, ect...

Really thankful I passed. Score of 374--not sure where that falls standard deviation-wise from the mean. Walked out of the exam (like all of my previous standardized exams) having no sense of if I passed. I started a new attending position straight out of residency and worked my way through Beat the Boards over about 3 months. I also took 3 days off before the exam and went through BoardVitals. BtB questions did not reflect the actual exam very well. I was disappointed by the content of the BoardVitals QBank, but it actually ended up being more reflective of the exam. Go figure.

Really thankful I passed. Score of 374--not sure where that falls standard deviation-wise from the mean. Walked out of the exam (like all of my previous standardized exams) having no sense of if I passed. I started a new attending position straight out of residency and worked my way through Beat the Boards over about 3 months. I also took 3 days off before the exam and went through BoardVitals. BtB questions did not reflect the actual exam very well. I was disappointed by the content of the BoardVitals QBank, but it actually ended up being more reflective of the exam. Go figure.
You really did well congratulations !
So can you please guide when to start studying for next year and how should I start. I am also working the whole week . If you can help please. Currently I am very shattered and confused
Do you know any one who is interested in tutoring once or twice a week ?

When you guys say K&S, are you referring to Kaplan and Sadock or are you referring to Kenny and Spiegel?
These books are vastly different.
I am preparing to take my exam for 2021.
Congrats on those who have passed and don't give up for those who hasn't passed.

Any recommendations on what to use to study for Child Board Exams?

For the initial certification, did you guys feel like you needed dedicated study time? I have the option to start my job either before or after the board exam. I've always done fine on PRITEs and other standardized tests but I did study for Step 1 and 2... not really step 3. Not sure how boards compares. Thanks!