Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did not get that e-mail, but I do see this on the Website: https://www.abpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2020_Psychiatry_CERT_Format_and_Scoring.pdf

68 questions in the 4 stand-alone sections, 38 in the 4 Vignette sections

Then: "Starting 2019, candidates CAN go back to revisit previously answered linked-item set (vignette) questions within a section although they still CANNOT change the answers."

Members don't see this ad.

Got the email today. Good luck with studying everyone...!

If I got this email two days earlier, I would have passed! It's all ABPN's fault!!!!

Wonder what defense mechanism that would be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how you would answer "which psychiatric disorder has the highest suicide rate?" See this question across question banks. In some I see Bipolar, others MDD.

Anyone know how you would answer "which psychiatric disorder has the highest suicide rate?" See this question across question banks. In some I see Bipolar, others MDD.
IIRC the discrepancy was that one was actually trying to ask "of completed suicides, which diagnosis is most common?" while another was asking "of which disorder do the highest % die by suicide?"

I think that the former was MDD and latter was Bipolar 1.

Does anyone know if time from finishing a section early is added to your pooled break time? That is not specified in the document linked above.

Last edited:
People doing Kenny and Spiegel, what percentages are you averaging on the tests?

That makes sense...I think. Thanks.

I am pretty sure we only have 60 minutes and that's it. Is there actually "finishing a section early?" because I think we have to manage our own time based on the total 8 hours and 20 minute test time. Otherwise, how would they subtract time from individual sections if we took more break? "Candidates are expected to manage the pace and timing of the examination themselves."

IIRC the discrepancy was that one was actually trying to ask "of completed suicides, which diagnosis is most common?" while another was asking "of which disorder do the highest % die by suicide?"

Does anyone know if time from finishing a section early is added to your pooled break time? That is not specified in the document linked above.

Last edited:

well then what about anorexia nervosa?

That makes sense...I think. Thanks.

I am pretty sure we only have 60 minutes and that's it. Is there actually "finishing a section early?" because I think we have to manage our own time based on the total 8 hours and 20 minute test time. Otherwise, how would they subtract time from individual sections if we took more break? "Candidates are expected to manage the pace and timing of the examination themselves."
I just had a chance to read the actual email.

My best understanding at this point is that the sections aren't actually timed so there's no such thing as finishing a section early (like you said) and if we run over our break time then it subtracts from test time. So, in essence, we really just get 9 hours and 20 minutes for everything, but you can't use your "break" time for additional test time, so 8 hours and 20 mins max for answering questions.
80's mostly
Seems like a pretty good score. I mostly used the book so I'm not sure what my objective score is, seems like not nearly that good but maybe just remembering the stuff I don't get right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, that make sense. I am the same with K+S. My score is not nearly as good but I use it as a studying resource, mainly. I learn more from the explanations than the questions. Reviews say there are many errors. The only ones that give me pause are the questionable "interaction" ones, anyhow. The rest is good solid info to me.

I just had a chance to read the actual email.

My best understanding at this point is that the sections aren't actually timed so there's no such thing as finishing a section early (like you said) and if we run over our break time then it subtracts from test time. So, in essence, we really just get 9 hours and 20 minutes for everything, but you can't use your "break" time for additional test time, so 8 hours and 20 mins max for answering questions.

Seems like a pretty good score. I mostly used the book so I'm not sure what my objective score is, seems like not nearly that good but maybe just remembering the stuff I don't get right.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
90% 88-94%

Wow, my first exam was in the 80's but I'm pretty consistently getting low to mid 70's. My psych percentage is high, but there's lots of neuro and genetics and/or storage disease questions to get wrong it seems.

What kind of scores are you guys getting on the questions on Beat the Boards? (for those who are doing BTB)

I did most of Psych Genius first. I find it is easy to eliminate answer choices as well. Answers were too obvious. And I have been reviewing Neuro hard.
Gotcha. If you got Psych Genius down, the K+S questions are probably a piece of cake.

The other day I saw a patient with ash-leaf and shagreen lesions. I was like Wow...this must be autosomal dominant inherited. I have to watch out for seizures and not prescribe Wellbutrin.

Not going to happen...I sure hope I get some points for memorizing these things.

***edit. Now I also know that volleyball has the lowest risk of concussions. My patients are blessed! Woot!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How's studying going for everybody? Personally, I am hitting the wall on childhood development. I didn't learn it in Peds. I didn't learn it for the steps. I didn't learn it during residency. Fourth time is unlikely the charm.

I'm not really studying for this. What's the pass rate- 90%?

I wish I had this kind of faith. I’m not exactly worried, but I sure as hell don’t want to spend another $2000 if I don’t have to.

Yes I sure as hell would be pissed if I failed because of the cost. But honestly I'm very busy with work and I did pretty well on my PRITE exams, so I'm just not feeling the fear as much as I have with USMLE exams. We'll see!

I sure hope the boards are nothing like the steps. In my mind, the boards should have many questions that we can answer by nature of finishing residency. Gimme questions, that is. The steps were always exams that one had to prepare for, because we were probably not exposed to most of the material in real-time. We'll see...

Question that came on Beat the Boards, I'm curious if I'm understanding this correctly. Title X basically ensures that funding be in place for STD's, reproductive health, contraceptives etc, but Abortions are not allowed to be funded nor is a provider who works at a clinic able to refer the patient for abortion if that is what the patient desires due to a "gag" rule? This is kind of off topic then, but how are these kids going to get their abortion services if that is what they desire?

I'm not really studying for this. What's the pass rate- 90%?
The pass rate is historically 80%.

I similarly did relatively well on the PRITE and I've done overall pretty well on the psych questions in S&K so I'm not stressing too much. I figured an hour a day was enough to feel like I put in some reasonable effort but not so much that I felt like I was really stressing myself out while getting used to a new job and new city. The stakes on this test, aside from the monetary ones, are different as well. Worst case I fail, have to spend the money again, and some of my work colleagues will find out that I failed which would be a little embarrassing. But it's not like the MCAT or the STEPs where your result significantly influences your ability to do what you want in the future.

From ABPN: 6843/7742 (88%) from 2015-2019.

The pass rate is historically 80%.

I similarly did relatively well on the PRITE and I've done overall pretty well on the psych questions in S&K so I'm not stressing too much. I figured an hour a day was enough to feel like I put in some reasonable effort but not so much that I felt like I was really stressing myself out while getting used to a new job and new city. The stakes on this test, aside from the monetary ones, are different as well. Worst case I fail, have to spend the money again, and some of my work colleagues will find out that I failed which would be a little embarrassing. But it's not like the MCAT or the STEPs where your result significantly influences your ability to do what you want in the future.

Wow, in the 70s for all test-takers!!
89% and 73% is a huge discrepancy. The all takers figure most include people who are retaking 2 or 3 times, who essentially would never pass, at least I'll tell myself that lol

Question that came on Beat the Boards, I'm curious if I'm understanding this correctly. Title X basically ensures that funding be in place for STD's, reproductive health, contraceptives etc, but Abortions are not allowed to be funded nor is a provider who works at a clinic able to refer the patient for abortion if that is what the patient desires due to a "gag" rule? This is kind of off topic then, but how are these kids going to get their abortion services if that is what they desire?
Maybe providing the patient with resources for "all the possible options" and one of the resources being a pamphlet for an abortion clinic?

Pretty much done with these nit-picky concordance and prevalence rate questions. Can't wait to get this over with...

Instead of MD, my obituary should read: Professional Test-Taker Who Wasn't Even That Good.

Not bad. Mad I spent so much time learning how came up with what theory and looking all that development crap. Basically had none on my exam. Wish I did not study so much.
I had no developmental stuff at all aside from, I think, a single Piaget question. I’m not sure what to do with my hands...

Can't go into details but in broad strokes.

1) K+S is the test. It will get you around 60% of the questions, written almost word for word. I sometimes wondered if Dr. Kenny helped write the test. Props to Nudexta and Shopaholic for the heads-up. I didn't see much Psych Genius on the test, but maybe got me a few points here and there.
2) The vignettes were a bit tough. I don't think the answer choices were written well for a lot of the questions. It didn't reflect any clinical skills or knowledge. They were kind of fun, though...
3) The questions are not like the PRITE.
4). Most questions, including Vignette ones, could be answered within a few seconds. You know it or you don't.
5) Neuro was minimal.

Can't go into details but in broad strokes.

1) K+S is the test. It will get you around 60% of the questions, written almost word for word. I sometimes wondered if Dr. Kenny helped write the test. Props to Nudexta and Shopaholic for the heads-up. I didn't see much Psych Genius on the test, but maybe got me a few points here and there.
2) The vignettes were a bit tough. I don't think the answer choices were written well for a lot of the questions. It didn't reflect any clinical skills or knowledge. They were kind of fun, though...
3) The questions are not like the PRITE.
4). Most questions, including Vignette ones, could be answered within a few seconds. You know it or you don't.
5) Neuro was minimal.
Thank you. I did K+S and Board Vitals. Hope I feel the same

Finished with 2 hours and 20 minutes of remaining test time. Agree with @adaptation1 , most questions you either know the answer or you don't, very little thinking required. A fair number of questions were 50/50 for me. Some because I could eliminate easy distractors, others from weird ways they worded the question stem or weird ways of phrasing the answer choices. I know exactly what I would study next time around if it turns out that I actually somehow failed and have to take it again--basically stuff that I kinda knew I should memorize but I got burned out on studying and never memorized it. (I actually reviewed this set of information in a somewhat dedicated way but didn't take the step to fully commit it to memory...) And there was no preparing for some of the more off the wall vignettes. A little more "actual neuro" than I expected but not too bad, still a small overall %, just sticks out some.

I thought it was actually a pretty challenging examination. The vignettes are very tricky. I would advise future test takers to take notes while watching the videos. I never practiced it. I also had a lot of neurology questions, far more than on the PRITE exams.

I would be shocked if I failed, but it definitely was not an easy exam. Definitely a few questions that were verbatim from Kenny&Spiegel. That was all I used to prepare throughout residency. I cram studied one week prior.

There was a lot of neurological localization on my examination. Lots of vascular neurology, kind of hilarious given how little neuro is in psychiatry residency. Not sure what the use of that is?

Did not get any of those Erikson, Kohut, Freud etc questions.

There was a ton of sleep medicine on the examination that I never really got exposure to during residency or studied that hard for.

Unless I have some dissociative amnesia, I don't remember there being that many at all. I did study Neuro in depth using K+S, including all the explanations, which was helpful for the actual test questions that involved lesions and sleep medicine.

I think of it like this. 70% is passing based on prior years. That means we can get around 127 questions wrong and still pass. Here's to all of us putting this test to rest.

Unless I have some dissociative amnesia, I don't remember there being that many at all. I did study Neuro in depth using K+S, including all the explanations, which was helpful for the actual test questions that involved lesions and sleep medicine.

I think of it like this. 70% is passing based on prior years. That means we can get around 127 questions wrong and still pass. Here's to all of us putting this test to rest.

How do you know that we all receive the same test version? I doubt they give the same exam on both days

That's very true. I just had the notion because they said they don't normalize it. Given that, it might be more difficult to keep the question difficulty consistent between tests. The way around that would just be to throw away unreasonable questions, which they probably do.

How do you know that we all receive the same test version? I doubt they give the same exam on both days

Did 70% of BTB and twice thru K&S questions with reading explanations and taking notes. Felt like K&S was pretty representative of the test and should be on everyone’s study list.

Standalone questions were you either know it or not. Vignettes were funky and poorly worded at times.

There was a lot of neurological localization on my examination. Lots of vascular neurology, kind of hilarious given how little neuro is in psychiatry residency. Not sure what the use of that is?

Did not get any of those Erikson, Kohut, Freud etc questions.

There was a ton of sleep medicine on the examination that I never really got exposure to during residency or studied that hard for.
I think the neuro questions stand out because 6% of the test = more than 24 questions. That many qestions that you don't know very well (I'm in the same boat) ends up sticking out as a lot. Also agreed about sleep, definitely a few challenging questions there.

I felt the same way. K+S may be on the board for this exam, it seems, LOL. Some of the questions were directly from K+S. Lot of localization questions in Neuro and I felt the vignettes are vague. I did fellowship in Sleep Medicine and felt the questions are easy for me, subjectively. Lot of dementia questions but they were easy too. Many questions on which neurotransmitter for what disorder and which anatomical part of the brain is effected for each psychiatric disorder, etc.. particularly lot of questions on OCD in relation to brain... lot of psychotherapy questions - almost 6-10 in each stand alone blocks.

Lots of psychotherapy, neuro, OCD, ADHD, trauma, geri on my exam.

I did Psychiatry Boards Prep twice through and then BtB, Board Vitals, and K&S and actually thought PBP did a better job at capturing the feel of the exam and it by far has the best video vignettes. K&S was good but overkill.

My recommendation going from closest feel of the actual psychiatry board exam to least: Psychiatry Boards Prep > K&S >>> BV > BtB

Last edited: