Board certified to work in a residency program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kedhegard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to enter a teaching position after graduating next June, but my boards aren't until July 20. Can I still teach/work with residents? The PD at the gaining hospital seems to think I wouldn't be allowed to supervise residents until my board cert came through (October).

Is this true? I searched the ACGME site, and couldn't find any such rule. If it exists (or specifically does not), can anyone point me to it? It would me much appreciated!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I plan to enter a teaching position after graduating next June, but my boards aren't until July 20. Can I still teach/work with residents? The PD at the gaining hospital seems to think I wouldn't be allowed to supervise residents until my board cert came through (October).

Is this true? I searched the ACGME site, and couldn't find any such rule. If it exists (or specifically does not), can anyone point me to it? It would me much appreciated!

Thanks.

That's up to the credentialing committee @ the hospital, or perhaps the Dept. Chair/Division Chief. Generally, passing the boards is not required at the start of a position (all contracts will say how soon you do have to pass them in order to keep your job) but that may be the case at this institution. Time to talk to somebody in credentialing or personnel.

That's up to the credentialing committee @ the hospital, or perhaps the Dept. Chair/Division Chief. Generally, passing the boards is not required at the start of a position (all contracts will say how soon you do have to pass them in order to keep your job) but that may be the case at this institution. Time to talk to somebody in credentialing or personnel.

agree w/above. I would be very surprised if you couldn't do it.

There is no such RRC/ACGME rule in IM. Residents graduating from my program start as hospitalists or in GIM all the time, and they can supervise residents on day 1. Agree that any such rule would be local, or specialty specific.

If you are a recent grad, you should be board eligible; therefore I can't see how it would be a problem. Any position I've seen listing "board certified" as a requirement has had a
"or board eligible" disclaimer with it.

Also, often chief residents and fellows have a 'teaching residents and students' component in their contracts; they would not be board certified any sooner than a new grad such as yourself. If fellows are allowed to work with residents at that hospital, so should you. However, I think it's a moot point as I would be shocked if the ACGME doesn't allow a board eligible person to be on a teaching service.

Agree with what others have said. You do not need board certified to start in academic position. Almost universally, no new grads are board certified unless they remained unemployed for awhile. Universities hire new grads to rank/position of "assistant professor" all the time without "board certified". You will be expected to complete your boards in a reasonable amount of time.

So, to you situation, with said receiving PD, I would be concerned. He/she may be playing some games or you misunderstood. It is possible they are trying to low-ball you and not pay you as a new "assistant professor". They may even try to put you into a "super fellow" type salary structure, etc... The way you describe the situation sounds fishy and the PD should not even be considering hiring if you can not meet these so called needs. In theory, you couldn't even take on-call.... cause residents would be involved with medical students.
...often chief residents and fellows have a 'teaching residents and students' component in their contracts; they would not be board certified... If fellows are allowed to work with residents at that hospital, so should you...
Exactly! Also, most INTERN contracts have teaching obligations... the contracts are fairly standard at all PGY levels with exception of salary.

Agree with what others have said. You do not need board certified to start in academic position. Almost universally, no new grads are board certified unless they remained unemployed for awhile. Universities hire new grads to rank/position of "assistant professor" all the time without "board certified". You will be expected to complete your boards in a reasonable amount of time.

So, to you situation, with said receiving PD, I would be concerned. He/she may be playing some games or you misunderstood. It is possible they are trying to low-ball you and not pay you as a new "assistant professor". They may even try to put you into a "super fellow" type salary structure, etc... The way you describe the situation sounds fishy and the PD should not even be considering hiring if you can not meet these so called needs. In theory, you couldn't even take on-call.... cause residents would be involved with medical students.
Exactly! Also, most INTERN contracts have teaching obligations... the contracts are fairly standard at all PGY levels with exception of salary.

They may keep you at a little bit lower salary until you areboard-certified, such as instructor pay and when you pass the boards you would automatically be moved up to asst prof.

They may keep you at a little bit lower salary until you areboard-certified, such as instructor pay and when you pass the boards you would automatically be moved up to asst prof.
That's my point.... it's a scam and shouldn't be that way at any respectable institution. The difference between "instructor" and "assistant prof" pay can be 50-70K vs 220+K. Respectable universities around the country hire new grads as assistant professor every year. If they don't pass their boards in reasonable time they are not-continued (i.e. fired). I have not heard of hiring as "instructor" at low pay until board passage..... Nor have I heard the argument of not being able to teach med-students or residents until board passage.