Board Certified...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Board Certified.....YAY...Woohooo...!!!

Congratulations. Me too!

BTW you really freaked me out when you posted you found out 2 days ago, I was sure I failed. I had no idea, my patient was a nightmare.

Congratulations to both of you. My patient was a nightmare--and I failed. Oh well, there's always next time.

yikes. just read about that experience. :eek: total nightmare. but my money goes towards your being distracted by your other upcoming exam as the culprit. still, what a total waste. :mad: i'm still kinda livid that the class of 2010 is the first class that had to do step 2 cs (where it counted) *and* we still have to do oral boards. grrrrr....

Yeah. Of course I'm not objective, I did do extremely well on my forensic final, and I was actually much more emotionally invested in that exam vs my oral boards. I still think the oral boards process is open to too much subjectivity, but in any case, I'm moving forward and I plan on acing the next oral board exam.

I just have some knack for bad luck on board exams. During two of USMLE, the computer stopped working. During the first one, I had to wait there an extra 6 hours. I got home around 2 or 3 am. The 2nd time the computer stopped working, I had to take the exam over again....that led to me having to study for it all over again because the takeover exam was 6 months later (like I'm going to retain all that information after 6 months!).

Congratulations! Be Proud. This is no easy task.

To whopper's point about subjectivity. It really isn't that subjective although some people do take it overboard. The revised format is significantly better...so there is hope.

Outside rapport, I would categorize the main problems as
1) Anxiety
2) Anxiety
3) Anxiety
4) Inadequate risk assessment in a variety of ways
5) Making diagnoses and not being able to back it up based on the interview.

All the things about time, forgetting certain differentials, medication, not knowing therapy are usually anxiety based because they have been tested in the written portion.

Rapport, presentation, risk assessment and staying within your limits while keeping an open mind are what is important. This will not change.

Thanks everyone. Sad to hear about ones who did not pass.

@ Doc Samson- My MOC is 10 years away..so no worries for now..

@ Prominence- I took it on Oct 3rd.

Thanks everyone. Sad to hear about ones who did not pass.

@ Doc Samson- My MOC is 10 years away..so no worries for now..

@ Prominence- I took it on Oct 3rd.

I think DS's point was that for some of us it's more like 5-6 years away, and it's still as clear as mud just what we're supposed to be doing!

The one thing I don't like about it is the 'letter of recommendation' requirement.

Its fine if you work in academics or constantly collaborate. But if you often see your patients individually, then its hard for others to judge you. There is the review from patient option but I think that has serious issues. In a solo practice, in a small town, this is going to be a nightmare. What if you work in a forensic setting, are you really going to have these patients evaluate you?

I think DS's point was that for some of us it's more like 5-6 years away, and it's still as clear as mud just what we're supposed to be doing!

There's that, but also the nebulous requirements that certain things are done in years 1-3, 4-7, and 8-10 of the recertification cycle. i.e., if you just passed the boards, there's a bunch of stuff you'll supposed to have done by 2013 in order to be on track for MOC in 2020 - just that no-one seems able to clearly define what that stuff is.