Board Exam Part I Passing Rates?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaiya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to NECO, Nova, SCO and am waiting for a response on SUNY. I really like Boston but there is one thing that really worries me right now. NECO and Nova both claim 65-67% Board Exam Part I passing rate (for first time takers) but SCO and SUNY are both at 97%+. Why the huge discrepancy and is this something I need to worry about? At this point, this might be a showstopper for me.

Thanks!

K.

Members don't see this ad.

First and foremost, you can pass the boards while attending any of those schools.

A lot of the board scores (from what I hear, I haven't taken them, and therefore don't know for sure.) is your own effort in preparing for them. Also, since the average TS OAT is higher at SUNY (347), and SCO (325), than at NOVA (314) or NECO (310), there might be something to that as well.

I'm not saying the students are better at one or the other, just that maybe either they had a stronger background coming in, or they know how to take the science parts of standardized tests. (Albeit this theory is more applicable to SUNY, since the difference of 10pts on the OAT is relativly small potatos.)

Almost everyone that I have talked to has said that you can get a strong education at any of those schools, but a lot of that is up to your individual efforts. :thumbup:

Attending a certain school will not guarantee that you will pass the boards on your first (hopefully only) attempt. Just ask the 5%+ who didn't pass even though they went to SUNY or SCO (or UCBSO for that matter).

Badger150 said:
First and foremost, you can pass the boards while attending any of those schools.

A lot of the board scores (from what I hear, I haven't taken them, and therefore don't know for sure.) is your own effort in preparing for them. Also, since the average TS OAT is higher at SUNY (347), and SCO (325), than at NOVA (314) or NECO (310), there might be something to that as well.

I'm not saying the students are better at one or the other, just that maybe either they had a stronger background coming in, or they know how to take the science parts of standardized tests. (Albeit this theory is more applicable to SUNY, since the difference of 10pts on the OAT is relativly small potatos.)

Almost everyone that I have talked to has said that you can get a strong education at any of those schools, but a lot of that is up to your individual efforts. :thumbup:

Attending a certain school will not guarantee that you will pass the boards on your first (hopefully only) attempt. Just ask the 5%+ who didn't pass even though they went to SUNY or SCO (or UCBSO for that matter).

I can't speak for these two schools, but if "5%" don't pass in a school with a small class size that could mean only one or two people. Perhaps these schools "teach to the test."

A much better benchmark would be "How many people have passed all 3 parts by the time they graduate." because that is what really matters.

Jenny

Members don't see this ad :)
JennyW said:
I can't speak for these two schools, but if "5%" don't pass in a school with a small class size that could mean only one or two people. Perhaps these schools "teach to the test."

A much better benchmark would be "How many people have passed all 3 parts by the time they graduate." because that is what really matters.

Jenny

I totally agree that the passing all 3 parts is the big key. I was just trying to point out to the OP that passing all 3 parts is very doable at all the schools mentioned, and not to be scared off by the Part I differences on their own.

The big key of my first post was you have to go where YOU will do well.

Btw Jenny, I think this is the first time I have posted to you. Just wanted to thank you for all of your good insight into the field. :thumbup:

JennyW said:

Jenny

Are such statistics available?

K.

Badger150 said:
Also, since the average TS OAT is higher at SUNY (347), and SCO (325), than at NOVA (314) or NECO (310), there might be something to that as well.

Where are you getting the stats? According to:

http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm

it is SUNY (336), SCO (325), NECO (320), and NOVA (319). Actually, it looks like you were reading the AA AVG GPA column.

K.

Go with the school with the higher passing rate.

It is pretty obvious that the final score (pass or fail) is dependent on you but schools definitely have impact on this issue.

SCO (where I went) is boasting very high passing rate in recent years because of 1 factor (4 yrs ago, pass rate was not that good)

New professors

There is a superstar (personally, I do not like him) who has BS, MS, PhD in ophthalmology from Oxford, England. MD (for god's sake, he is MD) from Glasgow and fellowship in orthopaedic surgery from Wake Forest. For unknown reasons, wants to go to optometry school, graduates Valedictorian (obvious) and missed exactly 7 questions from Board I. (unheard of)

This guy will push you to the limits. He is best friends with another joker (staff optometrist from NASA) who is the clinical director or something at SCO.

These two guys demand a lot from the students and will train you and make you study like you are in fact in doctorate program.

You are going to pass the boards when you are done going through G-B (Superstar's name)

Do you know who won the Optometry Olympiad last 2 years? Students from SCO. I think the students are very well taught. Again, I stress that I did not like those Bozos. :) (Excellent profs, but lacks some serious i-p skills)

In conclusion, you need to put your time but some schools will prepare you better for it compared to the others.

One more thing. You DO NOT want to repeat NBEO part I EVER again. I repeat,,, EVER !!!! You really want to pass it the first time.

Part I is truly a B$$$TCH !! It is tough. Makes you come out of the exam room feeling like "what the heck did I just do? Did I get any of them right???"

Part II is much easier, pay attention to your clinical courses, and you will be fine. I think I spent exactly 2 weeks for it.

Part III is a joke. Unless, you are an idiot who should not be an optometrist, you will pass.

Think about it. :)

kaiya said:
Where are you getting the stats? According to:

http://www.opted.org/info_profile2.cfm

it is SUNY (336), SCO (325), NECO (320), and NOVA (319). Actually, it looks like you were reading the AA AVG GPA column.

K.

Yep, I just can't read! :laugh: Seems like the correct numbers that you posted shoot my theory down, or at least make it much less likely. :( O well, that part was just a hypothesis anyhow.

Tasteestuff said:
Part I is truly a B$$$TCH !! It is tough. Makes you come out of the exam room feeling like "what the heck did I just do? Did I get any of them right???"

LOL, that has to be the quote of the day in my book! (Maybe it wasn't that funny, but it made me laugh anyway! :laugh: Probably had the P-chem lab report I am doing had a lot to do with that.) That sentiment is probably extremly accurate though.

Btw, quick question. How old is Dr. G-B, and did he attend SCO? With a B.S. (4) M.S.(2), PhD+MD(7or 8) and an O.D.(4) plus a fellowship, which means also a residency, (so 5-7), dang that's a lot of years. 4+2+7+5+4=22, which seems like it would be on the low end. Has he ever actually practiced as an MD or OD other than while in training or as a professor? Just curious, because dang that's a lot of degrees!!!

(And it doesn't seem that logical for him to do an O.D. program after doing all the rest, but he's definitly a special case.)

Maybe he likes all these "D" behind his name! =)... he'll probably go into dental school or chiropactic school soon!

I think he is in early 40s. Genuine freak of nature...

He did mention something about law school... :rolleyes:

A serious freak.. One of those guys who sincerely enjoys school and wants to be in it forever and ever. Guess how he spends his weekends? He picks a random/rare ophthal. medical case and researches and studies all day.

On the other hand, I'D RATHER GOLF. ;)

Tasteestuff said:
Go with the school with the higher passing rate.

It is pretty obvious that the final score (pass or fail) is dependent on you but schools definitely have impact on this issue.

SCO (where I went) is boasting very high passing rate in recent years because of 1 factor (4 yrs ago, pass rate was not that good)

New professors

There is a superstar (personally, I do not like him) who has BS, MS, PhD in ophthalmology from Oxford, England. MD (for god's sake, he is MD) from Glasgow and fellowship in orthopaedic surgery from Wake Forest. For unknown reasons, wants to go to optometry school, graduates Valedictorian (obvious) and missed exactly 7 questions from Board I. (unheard of)

This guy will push you to the limits. He is best friends with another joker (staff optometrist from NASA) who is the clinical director or something at SCO.

These two guys demand a lot from the students and will train you and make you study like you are in fact in doctorate program.

You are going to pass the boards when you are done going through G-B (Superstar's name)

Do you know who won the Optometry Olympiad last 2 years? Students from SCO. I think the students are very well taught. Again, I stress that I did not like those Bozos. :) (Excellent profs, but lacks some serious i-p skills)

In conclusion, you need to put your time but some schools will prepare you better for it compared to the others.

One more thing. You DO NOT want to repeat NBEO part I EVER again. I repeat,,, EVER !!!! You really want to pass it the first time.

Part II is much easier, pay attention to your clinical courses, and you will be fine. I think I spent exactly 2 weeks for it.

Part III is a joke. Unless, you are an idiot who should not be an optometrist, you will pass.

wow, they should defently try to sell those points to perspective students. If I would have known that, I might have not declined my interview. I'm going to UAB so I'm not conserned, but still it sounds like SCO has alot going for them.

How did everyone that has taken/or about to take the NBEO part 1 study for it?

I'm wondering the same thing. Do your schools publish guides or give review classes? Are there any resources on the web that anyone has found?