Board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arsenal130

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

i was wondering if I can get some feedback or advice from anyone on this thread regarding matching to anesthesia. i am current 4th year US med student and going through matching process. i came to a late conclusion that i want to pursue anesthesia for many reasons and not sure if this is feasible idea? After deep reflection, I realized that i wont be happy with my previous choice.

what are the minimum usmle scores to get a spot in anesthesia ?
is it impossible to get a spot via scramble?
in case no success in getting a spot in anesthesia this year, what would be the best route? research ? preliminary medicine, then reapply?
if no match, which is better preliminary med or preliminary surgery?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about your chances in the scramble. I just switched during my intern year from IM to Anesthesia. I got the impression that switching from surgery to anesthesia is percieved a little better. I think this is b/c most anesthesiologists who switched were in surgery programs before they made the decision to switch and there is a surprisingly large number of them. That being said as long as you have decent board scores (guessing 220+) I would do a transitional year and apply broadly. Many programs keep a small number of spots open for folks like me and you. Although I'm sure its rare sometimes people leave a program. This occurred at one program I interviewed at where this girl was moving back home to be with her fiance. You will get a spot somewhere so don't kill yourself doing a prelim surgery or medicine year. Good luck!!

agree, transitional year with good surgery rotations and apply for a ca - 1 spot.

Thanks so much for your kind inputs, but the BIG program is not my board score is not very strong. Both step 1 and 2 in the range of 208, which is pretty below the average. Would this eliminate my chance of getting a spot somewhere? I am planning for a preliminary medcine this year, not sure if this is good idea.
Thanks again