Board exams: avgs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DentalRocks09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there anyway to find stats on schools that receive the highest board scores? i tried looking through ada..couldnt find anythin

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure about a system wide method, but Tufts gave us something like 6 years of past board exam scores before/during our interview, including how many passed on the first go, how many on the second, third etc. I'm sure other schools have this information and you could get it from them if you asked. Assuming you only need the info to compare the top 2 or 3 schools on your list, it should be relatively easy to do.

Are you accepted and wondering which school to attend? Many seem to believe that your board scores depend largely on your own effort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you accepted and wondering which school to attend? Many seem to believe that your board scores depend largely on your own effort.

Yea, I was thinking of saying that, but if it's a case of being completely undecided between two schools, this might push the balance whether or not it's a legitimate thing to base it on.

Yea, I was thinking of saying that, but if it's a case of being completely undecided between two schools, this might push the balance whether or not it's a legitimate thing to base it on.

Board passage at every school is close to 100%. I wouldn't base your decision on what school has the highest rate.

I would base your decision on price, not board scores.

Hup

Board passage at every school is close to 100%. I wouldn't base your decision on what school has the highest rate.

Hup

Thanks, I will be taking your advice very seriously.

Hup

That's true, but I wasn't referring to passing rates, I was referring to actual scores. Some people hope to specialize, so scores are important to them.

That's true, but I wasn't referring to passing rates, I was referring to actual scores. Some people hope to specialize, so scores are important to them.

If all schools have passing rates near 100%, yet only a handful of students from each class score high enough to specialize, wouldn't it be logical to say that only a handful of students in each class study hard enough to obtain scores in the 90's? Others simply try to pass, which isn't wrong since that is all that is required.

Thus, your board score ultimately depends on your own effort, not on your choice of school.

Yea I guess you got me :p

Boards will be pass/fail starting 2010...assuming you enter the graduating class of 2013 you will also be taking pass/fail boards. this makes what you do while in dental school that much more important (grades, extracurriculars, etc.)

If all schools have passing rates near 100%, yet only a handful of students from each class score high enough to specialize, wouldn't it be logical to say that only a handful of students in each class study hard enough to obtain scores in the 90's? Others simply try to pass, which isn't wrong since that is all that is required.

Thus, your board score ultimately depends on your own effort, not on your choice of school.

You are correct in a sense, but you don't factor in that maybe some schools have a better set up curriculum with better educators that can provide you with a better chance to score higher. i'm sure if you had the averages for each school there will be a few clear cut schools with above average statistics, and I think that is what the OP is looking for.

You are correct in a sense, but you don't factor in that maybe some schools have a better set up curriculum with better educators that can provide you with a better chance to score higher. i'm sure if you had the averages for each school there will be a few clear cut schools with above average statistics, and I think that is what the OP is looking for.

You too are correct, in a sense. I know that EVERYONE who gets accepted into dental school is there because they deserve it, but hear my argument. I'm saying that regardless of what program or preparation methods a school or a program has, it is ultimately up to the student to utilize them. The school can give students every chance to succeed and score higher, but unless they take advantage of it and actually TRY to get higher scores then it doesn't matter.

Even if some schools have higher scores than other schools during a year or during the course of several years, so what? What does that prove exactly? What that proves to me is that those students of that program, for whatever reason, actually TRIED to make those scores. No professors hold their hands during the test and sing kum ba yah.

Yes, you are right. Some programs inevitably have favorable curriculums which will help students of that school score higher. However, we are all adults and we are all ultimately responsible for our academic success.

Members don't see this ad :)
If any schools have above average board scores wouldn't any of you think that that speaks more to the type of applicants that they admit rather than the quality of the program anyway?

If any schools have above average board scores wouldn't any of you think that that speaks more to the type of applicants that they admit rather than the quality of the program anyway?
true, but if you've been accepted then that means that they consider you to be of the same type of student

Boards will be pass/fail starting 2010...assuming you enter the graduating class of 2013 you will also be taking pass/fail boards. this makes what you do while in dental school that much more important (grades, extracurriculars, etc.)

it was my understanding that they have pushed back the P/F and we, the class of 2013 will be the last class to take the graded boards

Hup

The national average for first time board bassage rate for Part 1 is 85.9%. So ask yourself, are you in the bottom 14% of your class?? If not, then who cares, you'll be fine.

Is there anyway to find stats on schools that receive the highest board scores? i tried looking through ada..couldnt find anythin

I was also wondering this.. I'm not sure where people are getting their stats from when they quote x school as ranking nth on the boards.. I looked on the ADA website as well and found nothing.. maybe it is just bs, I don't know lol

true, but if you've been accepted then that means that they consider you to be of the same type of student

I meant that the Ivy league schools admit a different caliber of student than do the state schools. Just as an example. Please spare me the criticism. I'm going to a state school and I know that it is just fine for me.

Harvard has the highest avg.

Harvard has the highest avg.

I hope you don't actually go there. Looking at your sig, I can tell that you probably do...and I think you are little overly proud of it....especially with the cereal analogies. Too bad for you when patients find out that the cereal in the bag makes better crowns than the Kellogg's cereal.

I meant that the Ivy league schools admit a different caliber of student than do the state schools. Just as an example. Please spare me the criticism. I'm going to a state school and I know that it is just fine for me.
haha i'm sorry if i came off sounding criticizing, certainly wasn't my intention

you do have a valid point, which is something i've always wondered, the ivies, or top 5 schools seem to take the highest gpa's and dat's which means they have the hardest working students, so it would follow that they would have the higer board scores. Now many of those top schools, have the dental students taking the med school curriculum for the first two years, i wonder does that have an impact for the board schools?

I'm attending a state school too, UConn, and i feel that i can do well there. UConn also along with harvard has had the highest board scores in the nation, now is that due them scaring off the students with their extremely demanding curriculum and attracting harder working students or is it due to simply to the medically based curriculum. I think it's a combination of both. To be honest i was a little scared about it, but after chatting with current students, i think if i study i'll be fine...i love SDN, ppl are so helpful

I hope you don't actually go there. Looking at your sig, I can tell that you probably do...and I think you are little overly proud of it....especially with the cereal analogies. Too bad for you when patients find out that the cereal in the bag makes better crowns than the Kellogg's cereal.
plus cereal in a bag is still cheaper too

I'd be offended if I didn't already know my hand skills kick ass. You have yet to discover whether yours are up to par. I already know mine are.

And I won't be making crowns. I'll be doing TMJ surgeries.

I'd be offended if I didn't already know my hand skills kick ass. You have yet to discover whether yours are up to par. I already know mine are.

*cue the exit scene*

Dentstd leaves the building, his superior hands sliding back and forth across his body as he glides into the BMW he bought using some extra loan money.

"I'll be able to pay it back as soon as I start doing my TMJ surgeries," he said to himself, grin on his face.

It's been cold in Cambridge, the winter weather has really taken a hold of this normally vibrant city. It's only 10:00 PM, but people have already shut themselves indoors, leaving the area ominously quiet and empty. Alone.

Dentstd shivers slightly as he feels a chill slither down his spine. Shaking it off, he starts the car's ignition and turns up the heating dial. Lights on, he creeps the car out of the parking lot, and is met by the sound of fresh snow crunching under his tires.

He usually enjoys the sound of crunching snow, but tonight his mind is elsewhere. He's thinking about his future. Thinking about all the plans he has; of how he has worked so hard and is finally a mere two and a half years away from specializing and making the big bucks. With the roads mostly empty and his mind wandering, his speed goes unchecked. He does not see the red light in front of him. Until it's too late.

He slams on the breaks, but the road is icey and he cannot stop in time. His car starts to fishtail and veer off the pavement, toward a light pole. Unable to steer away, he places his hands in front of his face, his superior hands, bracing himself for the inevitable impact.

The car plows into the pole and is he thrown through the windshield. He flies 10 feet in the air before he lands in a pile of snow, with a sickening crunch.

Dentstd will survive the accident. But his hands will never be the same.

*cue the exit scene*

Dentstd leaves the building, his superior hands sliding back and forth across his body as he glides into the BMW he bought using some extra loan money.

"I'll be able to pay it back as soon as I start doing my TMJ surgeries," he said to himself, grin on his face.

It's been cold in Cambridge, the winter weather has really taken a hold of this normally vibrant city. It's only 10:00 PM, but people have already shut themselves indoors, leaving the area ominously quiet and empty. Alone.

Dentstd shivers slightly as he feels a chill slither down his spine. Shaking it off, he starts the car's ignition and turns up the heating dial. Lights on, he creeps the car out of the parking lot, and is met by the sound of fresh snow crunching under his tires.

He usually enjoys the sound of crunching snow, but tonight his mind is elsewhere. He's thinking about his future. Thinking about all the plans he has; of how he has worked so hard and is finally a mere two and a half years away from specializing and making the big bucks. With the roads mostly empty and his mind wandering, his speed goes unchecked. He does not see the red light in front of him. Until it's too late.

He slams on the breaks, but the road is icey and he cannot stop in time. His car starts to fishtail and veer off the pavement, toward a light pole. Unable to steer away, he places his hands in front of his face, his superior hands, bracing himself for the inevitable impact.

The car plows into the pole and is he thrown through the windshield. He flies 10 feet in the air before he lands in a pile of snow, with a sickening crunch.

Dentstd will survive the accident. But his hands will never be the same.

I think a post like this officially makes you a sick, sadistic mutha. Twisted as hell, weirdo.

But no, I don't have loan money taken out. But yes, I do like BMW's, and I already own one.

Last edited:

TMJ surgeries are sweet - I have considerable experience with them. But reimbursement is poor, so most OMFS decide they would rather shuck 3rds and place implants. If TMJ surgery is really your interest, more power to you - it's definitely an area of need.

(note: I know my SN is eventualOMFS, and many have a problem with this. I created the SN when my exposure to dentistry was strictly OMFS, and that was truly my goal. Since being further exposed to general dentistry and other specialties, my interests have shifted - but alas, my pre-dent SN remains unchanged. Just a bit of a preemptive explanation.)

I think a post like this officially makes you a sick, sadistic mutha. Twisted as hell, weirdo.

But no, I don't have loan money taken out. But yes, I do like BMW's, and I already own one.

Just pointing out that maybe you take too much pride in things that aren't really yours. Some people are gifted with unique abilities that they didn't really earn. They've always had good hands, athletic ability, intelligence, etc., and that's fine. However, just as those gifts came easily for those people, they can just as easily disappear. Maybe you have arthritis and have struggled to master your manual dexterity, I dunno. But the way you talk about your kickass hands, and the way you flaunt your Ivy League status in your signature makes it sound like you're someone who doesn't really appreciate the gifts he was born with, and instead sees them as entirely his own doing.

Just pointing out that maybe you take too much pride in things that aren't really yours. Some people are gifted with unique abilities that they didn't really earn. They've always had good hands, athletic ability, intelligence, etc., and that's fine. However, just as those gifts came easily for those people, they can just as easily disappear. Maybe you have arthritis and have struggled to master your manual dexterity, I dunno. But the way you talk about your kickass hands, and the way you flaunt your Ivy League status in your signature makes it sound like you're someone who doesn't really appreciate the gifts he was born with, and instead sees them as entirely his own doing.

I know what you were going for, but it was done in a discolored manner. Wishing someone else bodily harm's just a creepy, psycho killer thing. You don't post or say that **** anywhere. Yes, an auto accient can have irreparable harm. No crap Sherlock. But, accidents don't discriminate against the talented. It can occur to anybody, which is why I have a BMW sedan and Volvo SUV to protect me in the event of a tragedy.

Who even said I go to an Ivy League dental school? I put the term in quotation marks for a reason. It's a symbol. I went to Brown Undergrad. People who never went to top schools really don't know of the preference given to these perceived top students.

PM'd response since this is entirely off topic :p

Who even said I go to an Ivy League dental school? I put the term in quotation marks for a reason. It's a symbol. I went to Brown Undergrad. People who never went to top schools really don't know of the preference given to these perceived top students.

Well if you're going to use the cereal analogy, sure Brown cereal comes in a box, but it's not Kellogg's, it's Aldi-brand boxed cereal.

Harvard or Princeton would be Kellogg's. With real strawberries.

A school like UConn might be cereal in a bag, but it's Kellogg's in a bag. And I'd rather have real cereal from a bag, than imitation cereal that hides behind the facade of a nice box.

Well if you're going to use the cereal analogy, sure Brown cereal comes in a box, but it's not Kellogg's, it's Aldi-brand boxed cereal.

Harvard or Princeton would be Kellogg's. With real strawberries.

A school like UConn might be cereal in a bag, but it's Kellogg's in a bag. And I'd rather have real cereal from a bag, than imitation cereal that hides behind the facade of a nice box.

Keep talking, cereal in a bag.

I sure hope this guy is one of only a few cocky jerks in dental school....'I went to Brown, I drive a BMW and a Volvo, I'm a top student, everyone else is "cereal in a bag"'. Get over yourself.

I sure hope this guy is one of only a few cocky jerks in dental school....'I went to Brown, I drive a BMW and a Volvo, I'm a top student, everyone else is "cereal in a bag"'. Get over yourself.

look at all these cereals in a bag hating... we all know you're cool just because you played the clarinet, alright....

look at all these cereals in a bag hating... we all know you're cool just because you played the clarinet, alright....

What is your problem? You went through the exact same admissions process as everyone else, you know how stressful it is, and you are not any better than any of us, so why are you being so rude to everyone?

What is your problem? You went through the exact same admissions process as everyone else, you know how stressful it is, and you are not any better than any of us, so why are you being so rude to everyone?

Because "everyone" realized a joke when they saw it. You decided to be the first of us to throw fists and you expected no jabs in return? The cereal's a joke metaphor, hun. I don't go to an Ivy League dental school. Relax a bit.

I'm not worked up about anything, and I definitely wasn't the first to point out the cereal metaphor...and the thing that was really offensive [to others as well] was the whole calling people "cereal in a bag". Joke or not, that's rude and makes you seem like an elitist prick. That's all I'm sayin, I'm done.

I'm not worked up about anything, and I definitely wasn't the first to point out the cereal metaphor...and the thing that was really offensive [to others as well] was the whole calling people "cereal in a bag". Joke or not, that's rude and makes you seem like an elitist prick. That's all I'm sayin, I'm done.

you weren't the first to use the metaphor, but you were the first to throw personal attacks. but I really don't mind. some days, I AM an elitist prick. on other days, I'm an elitist ultra prick. but somethinpositiv's right... I really am just an Aldi's boxed cereal. and there ain't nothing wrong with bein' a cereal in a bag. I can't believe people get offended when they're called cereal in a bag.

Last edited:
you weren't the first to use the metaphor, but you were the first to throw personal attacks. but I really don't mind. some days, I AM an elitist prick. on other days, I'm an elitist ultra prick. but somethinpositiv's right... I really am just an Aldi's boxed cereal. and there ain't nothing wrong with bein' a cereal in a bag. I can't believe people get offended when they're called cereal in a bag.
people on the internet just like to argue...

back to the OP...no, i believe the ADA only releases the specific score to the school, although they do receive a list which lists all of the other scores of the other dental schools without the names, so each school only knows their score and THEIR rank

This is exactly why I have avoided SDN for the past few months. A thread that starts by asking about Board Scores gets turned into name calling by people with big internet egos trying to say how much better they are than a stranger... SDN is full of people with unrealistic expectations of what they will actually accomplish that then decide to drop out...People who are bitter about not being able to perform well in an interview.... People who inflate their DATs and GPAs.

I'm going to take my perfect hands and place them on the steering wheel of my porsche carrera, after flawlessly performing TMJ surgery, and drive away from threads like this. How long until its closed?

Why in hell would you want to do TMJ surgeries? Unless it is for treatment of an ankylosis, most TMJ surgeries don't accomplish a damn thing. Arthrocentesis is less invasive and treats most dislocations of meniscus quite fine. It just shows me someone doesn't know what the hell they are talking about. So make your own judgements.

Where have the moderators gone? Perhaps some of you should take a read and notice a recurring pattern. Certain individuals on snd constantly make personal attacks against others.

Close this pointless thread. The OP's question was answered long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.