Board Passing Rates for Each School

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joshfutureod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where could I find a list of the board passing rates for each school.

Members don't see this ad.

2006 Boards First Time Passing Rate for Board I

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
UAB – 94%
PCO - 87.5% (had the two highest scores in the nation)
SCCO - 82%
IU – 80%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%

NECO - xx%
Feel free to add to this #

National avg - 86% (first time pass rate)

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions of which you are aware.[/quote]

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not sure if these are the numbers for first time takers or a grouped statistic but I this was the first question I asked my interviewers at UMSL the interviewer told me their pass rate in 2005 was 86%. My second question was about matriculation and their matriculation rate has been close to 98% for the past 5 years.

I wonder what IAUPR passing rate is?

that's a lie. Nova's passing rate is not 95%.

2006 Boards First Time Passing Rate for Board I

SCO - 98%
Berkeley – 95%
UAB – 94%
PCO - 87.5% (had the two highest scores in the nation)
UMSL – 86%
SCCO - 82%
IU – 80%
SUNY - xx%
Pacific - xx%
UHCO – xx%
ICO - xx%
NECO - xx%
NOVA – xx%

Feel free to add to this #

National avg - 86% (first time pass rate for 2006)

The above is intended to represent the results of students writing Part I for the first time. Please post any corrections or additions of which you are aware.[/quote]

Well I'm pretty sure that's what he told me. I don't remember perfectly however. Why can't this number be correct?

NOVA tends to be known for not performing spectacularly on boards. I also don't believe this number is correct.

you're right, nova tends not to do good...except this yr. the pass rate was 88% for august.

passing rates are not 100% accurate because not all students chose to release their scores. for example, my friend and i chose not to release scores to the school even though we both passed. thus these percentages may differ +/- by a percent or so.

At SCO we are required to pass boards before we graduate so I've never heard of a student not releasing their score

At SCO we are required to pass boards before we graduate so I've never heard of a student not releasing their score

you can opt on the form not to have your scores released to your optometry school. I know of a few classmates who didn't at our school. You also have to make sure when you ask administrators of OD schools about board passing rate you want the FIRST TIME pass rate.

Most of them give you the pass rate at graduation (which better be near 100%)

I was not even aware there was ever an option to not "release" your score to the school. I have no idea how you would go about keeping the scores to yourself. Why on earth would you not choose to not let the school see how you did on the exam? Certainly the school needs to know how its students are doing, how else could it make changes to the curriculum?

The UAB score counts everybody who took the test, as you cannot graduate if you did not pass all 3 parts.

I was not even aware there was ever an option to not "release" your score to the school. I have no idea how you would go about keeping the scores to yourself. Why on earth would you not choose to not let the school see how you did on the exam? Certainly the school needs to know how its students are doing, how else could it make changes to the curriculum?

The UAB score counts everybody who took the test, as you cannot graduate if you did not pass all 3 parts.

Some students don't release their scores because in the unfortunate event they don't pass, they will get hazed for their rest of their stay by clinicians in third and fourth year which will make it all that more difficult for them to graduate. In theory how you perform on boards and how you perform in class/clinic should be kept separate but in reality that is not the case. I have seen it happen, when an individual student doesn't pass the boards, some faculty/clinicians think that student is fair game to "play with."

If the school needs to know how the students are doing with scores, then they should respect the privacy of their students and tell the secretary to shut up, but that doesn't happen, so in my opinion the students have a right to protect themselves. That is why the NBEO gives them that right.

I know of a guy who had that problem, the dean had to call the NBEO to ask if he passed to let him graduate. With the student's permission the NBEO told the dean he did (which he did), but didn't tell the dean how many times he took it, nor details about scores. This is because some schools are not to be trusted, if they see the opportunity to fail you over and over again and keep you for an extra year or two (for Money) they will.

Well I'm pretty sure that's what he told me. I don't remember perfectly however. Why can't this number be correct?

Cut that 95% score down to half and you will get the average accurate passing rate.

Never believe what a dean tells you verbally, get it in writing. Some schools' deans lie in your face. They look at you two, three years down the line and say; "I never said that."

Get it in writing or - it never happened.