Board Passing Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optman87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find the stats of passing rates for the various optometry schools across the country??

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

There isn't an official site. My boredom may be of some help though:

SCO:
National Board Passage Rates (Part I):
SCO Class of 2009 91% vs. 75% national passage rate SCO Class of 2008 98% vs. 77% national passage rate SCO Class of 2007 92% vs. 72% national passage rate
National Board Passage Rates (Part II):
SCO Class of 2008 98% vs. 91% national passage rate SCO Class of 2007 94% vs. 91% national passage rate SCO Class of 2006 99% vs. 95% national passage rate
SUNY:
The exceptional level of our academic curriculum is reflected in the fact that an average of 95% of our students consistently pass the national licensing exam the first time they try, significantly above the national average.

UAB:
Claims 100%
http://main.uab.edu/Sites/optometry/about/welcome/

MCO:
Part I: Basic Science, first time taker
Year MCO Pass Rate (pass/class size) National Pass Rate Difference
2007 94.1% (32/34) 74.8% +19.3%
2006 73.0% (21/29) 77.4% -4.4%
2005 78.0% (26/33) 71.6% +6.4%

Part II: Clinical Science, first time taker
2007 92.9% (27/29) 91.5% +1.4%
2006 88.0% (29/33) 88.7% -0.7%
2005 93.9% (31/33) 91.7% +2.2%

Part III: Patient Care, first time taker
2007 100.0% (33/33) 96.0% +4.0%
2006 85.0% (28/34) 93.0% -8.0%
2005 100.0% (31/31) 90.3% +9.7%

I'll get the rest, by the end of the day, its a work in progress

I don't understand why the ASCO doesn't publicly post these scores :thumbdown:

Also, UAB's rate refers to the overall pass rate, not the first time... not that it isn't still amazing, but just something to take note of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the help and responses guys!

Yea I actually sent ASCO an email after spending way more of my boredom searching for the pass rates. Mabey one voice will get them posted conveniently :rolleyes:.

In conclusion after my needle in a haystack search, not all schools post these numbers online. good? bad? I don't know. Best advice until ASCO helps us out is to call the schools your considering if you feel it is a deciding factor.

I tried to grab em all, and sorry about the lame formating when I pasted the ones I found, I too am disappointed in myself.

Also, UAB's rate refers to the overall pass rate, not the first time... not that it isn't still amazing, but just something to take note of.

Amazing unless your one of the few who has to fork over the money to retake them :scared:

Is anyone else surprised/concerned that SCCO's first time board passing rates are something like 74%? That's what my interviewer told me.

Is this reflective of their academic curriculum? and should I consider this when deciding between scco and suny?

i would be much more concerned about the TREND (for scco the pass rates have been decreasing every year for several years) but also concerned about that pass rate in general.
go to suny- you will be much happier

i would be much more concerned about the TREND (for scco the pass rates have been decreasing every year for several years) but also concerned about that pass rate in general.
go to suny- you will be much happier

Got anything to document the trend?

umm not that i am at liberty to share, but dean berman at scco did make a power point that was shared with us ... you could ask the school if they will release the numbers to you but i doubt that they would be happy to let that information outside the 'scco family' best bet would be to email and ask for specific numbers for part 1 passing rates. they definitely have the numbers, whether or not you are likely to see them till it is too late is anybody's guess

I had to look back at an old posting, but my class (09') part 1 passing rate was 90.7% at UMSL. If anyone was curious....