Board prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alls1015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My program allocates $1000 to use in our final year for "board prep". What suggestions do you guys have on how to best use this stipend and purchase the best resources to pass Written and Oral boards

Members don't see this ad.

Use q banks. Ophthoquestions and AAO are both good. Either one will help you prep for written. Oral boards is trickier. I would try to pair up with a coresident and do practice cases for the 2-3 preceding months. That forces you to practice your scripts and formatting, and creating cases forces you to review material.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree, Ophthoquestions has become our equivalent of UWorld. Essential for board study and also a great tool for competently learning ophthalmology in general, which should be the whole point of these exams. I didn't use AAO questions much, so no comment.

Oral boards you'll find a wide variety of opinions. Many people take courses like the Osler review or similar shortly before the exam. I personally did not, nor did most of my peers that I know (and we all passed 1st attempt). I used Ophthoquestions oral review, Pemberton, Case Reviews in Ophthalmology (Friedman), and the Loma Linda board review document that's floating around out there. As said above, it's essential to run cases out loud with someone or multiple people whenever you can. It really helps. Talk out loud and time yourself when practicing alone. Some people suggest looking in a mirror when running cases alone . I did not do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI - most comprehensive Ophthalmology Board Prep Resource Available. Handsdown the reason I passed boards.

No FI, but I used Ophthogenie and passed the first time. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Agree, Ophthoquestions has become our equivalent of UWorld. Essential for board study and also a great tool for competently learning ophthalmology in general, which should be the whole point of these exams. I didn't use AAO questions much, so no comment.

Oral boards you'll find a wide variety of opinions. Many people take courses like the Osler review or similar shortly before the exam. I personally did not, nor did most of my peers that I know (and we all passed 1st attempt). I used Ophthoquestions oral review, Pemberton, Case Reviews in Ophthalmology (Friedman), and the Loma Linda board review document that's floating around out there. As said above, it's essential to run cases out loud with someone or multiple people whenever you can. It really helps. Talk out loud and time yourself when practicing alone. Some people suggest looking in a mirror when running cases alone . I did not do that.
Could you send me the Loma Linda document please?

FYI - most comprehensive Ophthalmology Board Prep Resource Available. Handsdown the reason I passed boards.
I recommend Osler and McLuiew. I don't think San Antonio's Friday Orals is adequate though it doesn't hurt.

More than one person said to use the Wills Eye Manual. I strongly disagree. That is not structured well enough. It could be used for flipping through but not as a primary source.