Board Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bomerate

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone has idea when results for gen psych board exams will be out??? Am just very nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

Figure Dec/Jan.... I wouldn't be nervous about it. Worst case senario, you can continue working and wait a year for the next round.

Dec/Jan that's faraway. Yea worse case scenario I will have to retake the exam but Its just the time to study that's an issue

Members don't see this ad :)
Just clear your schedule to allow from 4p-8p to be clear 6-8 weeks prior to the exam. May cut into productivity, but people will understand about the necessity.

Take it easy. Anxiety does have some benefits. That is it's supposed to get you ramped up for flight or fight or get you motivated to change your bad situation.

The exam is done with. Nothing you can do about it. Worrying will just make it worse.

If I had a colleague that failed it but did good clinical work, I wouldn't care. It's the real clinical work that matters-unless you have a job where you have to be board certified but I'd bet if that were the case they'd likely just make you just take the exam again without firiing you. And even if they would fire you, like I said, worrying won't change that outcome.

Reactions: 1 user
Likely next week. Hopefully that lessens (rather than increases) you anxiety. ;)

Scores should be released this Thursday. Happy Thanksgiving!

Is this some inside information or purely assuming (likely correctly) that ABPN will just choose the best day to ruin?

Is this some inside information or purely assuming (likely correctly) that ABPN will just choose the best day to ruin?
I called abpn about another issue today and just asked him when he thought the results would be released. He said "probably" this Thursday. That was not an official release date so please take it with a grain of salt.

I called abpn about another issue today and just asked him when he thought the results would be released. He said "probably" this Thursday. That was not an official release date so please take it with a grain of salt.
Fair enough. I think the most surprising part would be that the ABPN works on Thanksgiving.

Not necessarily. The release of the scores could just be generated through a computer program.

Somehow, that is worse. If it's just purely automated, why not release them now? Supports my theory that somehow, this is all connected to summoning Cthulhu or some other unholy deity which determines when the scores are released.

I failed by 2 points on part C very sad . Did really well on the other parts. Which resources you guys recommend to prepare better for part C?

I failed by 2 points on part C very sad . Did really well on the other parts. Which resources you guys recommend to prepare better for part C?

First, I'm really sorry to hear that. Part C was tough for me as well. How did you find out how you did on the different sections? I saw that I passed, but don't have the break down from the different sections yet. I would say, however, that if I hadn't passed, it certainly would have been on the video vignettes. I used Beat the Boards for learning general psychiatry content, Kaufman for neurology, and used Spiegel and Kenny's Test Preparation for questions. I did review the Beat the Boards vignette examples. I'm not sure how I did on the different sections, but I felt very comfortable on the standard Prite-like question format and would say that the way I studied was right on point (i.e. using Beat the Boards, Kaufman, and Spiegel/Kenny). However, I found the vignettes to be vague and had a difficult time with them on the test. In fact, after the first 2 sections of vignettes in the morning, I was starting to panic thinking I was going to fail the test. During the lunch break I analyzed my approach to the vignettes and came to the conclusion that I was likely over thinking the questions and reading too much into the vignettes (hey, I'm a psychiatrist for Pete's sake!!!). I decided to change my approach after lunch and to think more concretely and just take the vignettes at face value. I really think this helped and may have saved me from failing. When I get back the breakdown of my scores, I might be able to offer more feedback.

Again, really sorry about the test. That could have happened to any of us. Sounds like you shouldn't have any problems passing it next year, though.

I received the breakdown for the different sections in the mail. Although it was my lowest score, I did better on Part C then I thought. I'm not really sure how to recommend studying for it other then what I wrote above (i.e. try not to read too much into the vignettes and not over think what they're asking). It's a shame because given that the vignettes are new, there are not a lot of resources to use for guidance. It might be helpful if some of the folks who have taken the new test format could contribute their thoughts and recommendations.

Last edited:
Passed. I used 2 sources, Spiegel and Kenney (and took notes from it) and did all the review questions at the end of Kaufman. Part C was also my highest score, though I felt pretty lousy immediately following the video vignettes. I approached Part C with the mindset that they were patients I was encountering on any other day in residency. Some of the questions you are unable to go back to (pay attention to this, I didn't). Also, I didn't think about taking notes until the afternoon session, but it might have been helpful to do it all along. Unfortunately, the testing center provided only a small dry erase board and you had to hand in the used one before they'd give you a new one. Some of the questions were "laddered" so that you knew immediately afterwords whether or not you got the preceding question right or not.