board scores and ortho

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jabooty

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question about board scores and ortho. I am a third-year student at a top 10 med school, but did poorly on step 1 (209). I was wondering if I still had a shot at a decent ortho program if I had good letters and improved significantly on step 2. Not sure if it makes a difference, but I am also a woman. Any thoughts? Thanks. Honesty is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You would definitely need to improve significantly on Step 2, and get very strong letters. In addition, I would think that research would be very important, and as you are at a "top 10" med school, there should be plenty of opportunities to get involved. Being a woman will help, as will the rep of your school. But be prepared to answer why you did so poorly on Step 1 when you are at such a great school. You can start by explaining here.

It's definitely possible to match, but you will have to work it. Though you will miss the interview cut at a lot of top programs, a field like ortho isn't all about numbers. My friend from medical school had 260+ on both Step 1 and 2, was AOA, and still matched at only his 3rd ranked spot, and many places didn't even interview him. Research and networking can go a long way, and he's more of a numbers guy. What can I say, I tried to tell him.

actually, the avg board scores at more than a couple top ten med schools are just the national avg. our schools don't cater our curricula towards teaching for boards at all - so i don't think the discrepancy between my school's reputation and my board score will be that shocking

Members don't see this ad :)
thats shocking. The avg at my school this year was a 227. This was a huge jump form the previous 221. Out of 90 students 24 broke 240 and 12 of those where 250+ , 5 of which are going into ortho next year. ....But they all want cali.

jabooty said:
actually, the avg board scores at more than a couple top ten med schools are just the national avg. our schools don't cater our curricula towards teaching for boards at all - so i don't think the discrepancy between my school's reputation and my board score will be that shocking

If your top ten med school's USMLE average is the national average, then your score is still way below your school's average as well as the national average. Is that because they don't cater their curricula to you or towards teaching for the boards? You asked for honesty, now rock Step 2, and utilize the resources you have, you have far more than most other med students.