Board Scores and Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2ndyear

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have searched the forums for some info on this but really have no definative answer. I was previously considering radiology as it is very interesting to me and I enjoyed my first year course in it as well as time spent with a radiologist, until I got my board scores that is! I really want to practice in a more rural area and I know that there is a great need for radiologists in some semi-rural areas such as the UP of Michigan where I am from. I want to fill that need and serve the people up there as they need some good docs too.

Ok, so here's the deal...does under 200 (by one point) completely put me out of the radiology ballpark? I already plan on an early Step II and hopefully rocking it. I would be interested more in community based as opposed to pure academic programs. Suggestions on where to look or should I just consider another specialty?
Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey 2nd year, I'm from Gwinn (near Marquette) and plan on going back to U.P. after I get done with my training as well. Good luck to you. To be honest, you're going to have some incredible competition and will have trouble getting interviews but nothing is impossible. Rock your Step II and honor all your 3rd years.

Good luck.

Rads will be harder for you, but not impossible. The key is flexibility: apply to as many places as you can, do lots of interviews, and rank all the places you interviewed. Other things you can do (in addition to an early and good step II) is some elective research (always looks good) and subinternships. Good luck. I still think rads is do-able foryou.
:)

so what exactly makes a competitive radiology applicant in terms of the objective categories of grades/class rank/step 1 and step 2 scores. i am strongly thinking about radiology, but i am also interested in cardiology and sports medicine. at this point i just want to make myself a more competitive applicant. i passed my step 1, but didnt do well. i would appreciated an honest response, as i want to be realistic about my chances, and try to focus on what i need to do over the next two years to prepare. thanks.