Board scores in CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ludy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking board scores (Step I) probably don't generally go in the CV, but I saw one example online that included them in the medical education section (with school, graduation date, etc.). I got a 268, which I wouldn't mind highlighting ;) , but I don't want to look arrogant. What do you guys think? Leave it out?
Thanks for any advice :D

Members don't see this ad.

I would absolutely include your boards scores on your CV, especially if you have scores as high as that. If you are interested in a competative specialty, you will find that the first things attendings want to know when they find out your interested is board scores. Fortunately or unfortunatly, depending on your perspective, boards scores are used as a screening tool to decide who gets interviews for competative specialties, and if you don't make the cut you will have a hard time matching in a competative specialty.

In general, I would probably not include your scores if you got lower than a 220 or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the super high step I score! Are you one of those guys, such as a friend of mine, who never go to class but show up for exams and still ace the exams? What was your secret weapon for step I?:eek:

Thanks for the advice, Dune Hog :)

Al Pacino -- I wish :p No, actually, I missed maybe a total of 15 classes over my first two years and I worked pretty hard consistently. So that was the "secret weapon", I suppose. I didn't study as hard in the 3.5 weeks I had off for Step 1 as some of my friends did, but I was fairly comfortable with the material already. Of course, the other secret weapon is a lot of luck :D Everybody's test is different, and mine (although I don't remember a single question on it... I think I have Step 1 PTSD) must have had a lot of path and biochem, my favorite subjects.

Does anyone else have thoughts on whether to include it or not? My initial reaction was "no way... how conceited!" -- anyone else feel that way? After all, the PDs are going to see the score anyway; it's not one of those things that usually gets overlooked, or so I hear ;)

Congrats on that outrageous score. I have heard the rule for this is it does not need to be included unless you've done very well as obviously you have. I would include it. Now where the cutoff for what is high enough to include is, I don't know...that interests me as I did well but certainly not anywhere near as well as yourself...

I don't understand why you would include them, as its not necessary. Are you applying for a field that requires a separate application which doesn't include an actual copy of the scores from the NBME? I'm not sure why you are sending out CVs.

When you apply for residency you generally (almost all fields use ERAS now) apply on-line, creating an on-line quasi-CV and your scores are provided to the programs.

I suppose if you wanted to highlight them, you could, but I think the examples you've seen were for people applying before the days of ERAS or other methods of electronically transmitting your scores.

Believe me, residency programs will download your scores, put them into their algorithm and make a decision about whether to invite you for an interview, without having to restate them on a separate CV (most programs will not take extra documentation outside of ERAS anyway). Once you've reached the interview stage, your scores generally don't make much of a difference as its already been determined that you meet the minimum criteria.

Just my two cents...

Thanks for the advice. I'm making up a CV to give to my attendings when I ask for LORs. I'd forgotten that the programs won't actually see it, although I have read that you should have one handy at the interview, just in case they ask for it.

Originally posted by Ludy
Thanks for the advice. I'm making up a CV to give to my attendings when I ask for LORs. I'd forgotten that the programs won't actually see it, although I have read that you should have one handy at the interview, just in case they ask for it.

In that case, I would definitely put it on your CV. It's not possible to turn in too many papers with the word "smart" and your name for the PD's to read. Congrats on your high score!

Originally posted by Ludy

Ahhh...ok. Nevermind! :D

Indeed you should put it on your CV if you are using it as a packet to provide to LOR writers. Wanna make sure they know all the great things about you! I didn't have anyone ask at interviews for my CV, but it is a good idea to have an updated one handy.

best of luck to you.