1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

board scores needed

Discussion in 'Gastroenterology' started by wylie313, Jul 28, 2006.

1. wylie313

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey guys, im strongly considering GI and im coming from a foreign medical school. ive searched these pages for some numbers but couldnt find anything substantial. what type of step one score would be needed to be considered competitive. i know this is a highly sought after specialty, so im just trying to gauge what i will need to hit on step 1. thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. novacek88

novacek88 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

You don't apply to fellowship directly out of medical school. When applying to fellowships, Step I scores matter very little. The quality of your IM program and your research/publications matter the most. Of course, you could indirectly say Step I scores are important because they will help you attain a better IM residency. But there are a lot of GI fellowships in the country. You don't have to attend a top 30 IM program if you want to get a GI fellowship. Research is more important than Step I scores. Get a decent score on Step I and then starting looking for GI research.

Something that is overlooked is your performance as a resident. Remember that your best chances of attaining a fellowship is at your own program. And your own program will place a heavy emphasis on your reputation and performance as a resident. Aspring fellows focus too much on research and not enough on their performance as a resident. I have seen many residents make this mistake. They will be so consumed with the application process and their research that they ignore their duties as a resident. Thus otherwise research qualified residents will get lukewarm or unimpressive letters and not match in any program whereas stellar residents with average research will match somewhere.

4. wylie313

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    good info novacek, thanks so much!