Board Study: Am I on the Right Track?

Started by Mad Jack
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just started studying for my boards with Beat the Boards. I'm at an average of 78% but not very deep into the question bank. Am I on-track to pass? I know they don't correlate particularly well, but my PRITE scores have all been around the 80th percentile. I think beat the boards should be enough if it hits my weaknesses (neuro, historical psych stuff, and obscure drugs) but wondered if anyone else had any input as to whether I should be alright with my current study plan of just hitting the QBank and taking the exam.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are in good shape. I recommend doing the full Q bank and retaking anything you got wrong (at the end after a first pass through, not immediately after). Your odds of passing are very high.
This was my approach to Step 2/3. No outside materials just the Q bank and repeating missed Qs x2. Is this usually enough for psych boards or do you recommend outside materials as well?
 
It's been long enough that I don't remember for sure if I listened to the lectures for psych boards. I have always used board study time as an opportunity to motivate myself to learn as much as I can, for the board but also for practice. I think, though, that it was a particularly busy time and I mainly did questions. I learn a lot more efficiently with questions and I imagine many others would as well.
 
So I just started studying for my boards with Beat the Boards. I'm at an average of 78% but not very deep into the question bank. Am I on-track to pass? I know they don't correlate particularly well, but my PRITE scores have all been around the 80th percentile. I think beat the boards should be enough if it hits my weaknesses (neuro, historical psych stuff, and obscure drugs) but wondered if anyone else had any input as to whether I should be alright with my current study plan of just hitting the QBank and taking the exam.
You are good. If you have time I believe doing more questions could be helpful. PIPE exam by the American college of psychiatrist is helpful, and Mypsychboard
 
You would probably already pass with PRITE scores in 80%ile. Not that the PRITE tests the same things as the board but rather that it's probably a reasonable metric for your relative knowledge base and test-taking ability compared to other psychiatrists.
 
Last edited:
i took it last sept, way over studied and scored 1 SD above the mean. I tend to overstudy but I guess it doesnt hurt for these things. Anywho, I found the questions in BTB not very helpful but found the lectures to be very useful. I think overall the test was highly doable dont stress too much. know the lectures cold and do some questions and kenny and spiegel and youll be fairly solid
 
I think my psychboard is the closest thing to the real ABPN exam. It is much better than beat the boards from MCQ standpoint and the vidoe vignettes.
 
So I just started studying for my boards with Beat the Boards. I'm at an average of 78% but not very deep into the question bank. Am I on-track to pass? I know they don't correlate particularly well, but my PRITE scores have all been around the 80th percentile. I think beat the boards should be enough if it hits my weaknesses (neuro, historical psych stuff, and obscure drugs) but wondered if anyone else had any input as to whether I should be alright with my current study plan of just hitting the QBank and taking the exam.
You just need a good night sleep before the test! 😀
 
I answered this in another thread but I was getting ~65% (maybe 70%) on BTB (only timed and previously unseen questions) and got ~1 std deviation above average and ~3 std deviations above passing. I also did the Kenny/Spiegel book twice, the book is better for the cases.
 
I answered this in another thread but I was getting ~65% (maybe 70%) on BTB (only timed and previously unseen questions) and got ~1 std deviation above average and ~3 std deviations above passing. I also did the Kenny/Spiegel book twice, the book is better for the cases.
Exactly the kind of hard data I was looking for, that's very reassuring. Thanks so much!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know MDs tend to have a lot of performance anxiety... But there was no way in hell you were going to fail.

I'm pretty sure gold donor status to SDN is a correlation of 1 with passing
Hey, I'm a DO, so I've got room for anxiety lol

Really though I was just worried it would be as all over the place as the PRITE, when in actuality it was a far better exam in content and design