boards: 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pipetman

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i know i posted before but didn't get a response. i did a search as well, but the info is nothing i haven't heard before (if you were an A student you'll pass no problem, use first aid, etc)

my question to current 2nd years is:

when did you start studying?
when do you plan to, if you haven't?

i've studied with the review books as i studied for classes, but it was hard to do boards and classes at the same time. so it looks like may is when i can hit it hard.

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

hey all,

i know i posted before but didn't get a response. i did a search as well, but the info is nothing i haven't heard before (if you were an A student you'll pass no problem, use first aid, etc)

i've studied with the review books as i studied for classes, but it was hard to do boards and classes at the same time. so it looks like may is when i can hit it hard.

anyone else?

I'm going to hit it hard in May before clinic starts. I'm doing a couple of days of class notes then USMLE first aid books for the major subjects.

hey all,

anyone else?

Our school's pharmacology department is giving a handful of review sessions to prepare everyone (including DO and PA students) for that section of the boards. Other than that, I have the Step 1 review book (which I haven't even looked at yet) which I've been told to go through cover to cover. The micro department is also giving us some review lectures in a few weeks, which I really need because that was a real weakness for me.

To answer your question, no I haven't started studying. I'll probably start in May like everyone else. After going to the lecture, it's obvious that I have a lot to go over in Pharm, but I learned it well the first time so I'm not too worried about it.

Anyone else actually sort of looking forward to it? I think it will be nice to try to tie things together so it won't seem like a bunch of random factoids.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else actually sort of looking forward to it? I think it will be nice to try to tie things together so it won't seem like a bunch of random factoids.
I am looking forward to it as well. I really need a chance to brush up on some of the topics from 1st year that it seems I have mostly forgotten.

I am looking forward to it as well. I really need a chance to brush up on some of the topics from 1st year that it seems I have mostly forgotten.
I'm still in first year and have forgotten most it.

what? you haven't started yet! Yikes get popping you're behind the curve all ready!

I haven't started yet either. I hope I don't fail

I will prolly do LEA review and some usmle flashcards.

I know quite a few A and B students... third years that started studying for boards around mid May. They did just fine. The people that have to worry are the ones that have failed/remediated a few classes already or carry solid C averages and haven't started studying yet. That's where around 20% or so of the class ends up failing every year. This is the test that truly separates the slackers that have been just barely scraping by all along from the podiatrists. Also tends to eliminate some uptight freaks who can't manage stress levels and constantly overstudy as well.

i think it depends on the school. if you go to a school with a hard curriculum and have a C avg doesn't mean you'll fail the boards if you start studying in may. and there is little difference between the student with a 79 and the one with an 80, imho. Also, at least for the first year, alot of the material was a repeat of undergrad if you majored in hard science or what not. hence, yeah, people could do (and did) fairly well with what they retained from undergrad if they worked hard during those years. second year is a different story..lol.

unless you are an absolute genius, no one remembers everything they studied, no matter the grade. Our C students pass just fine. :)

I know the school mostly handles student registration for the Boards the 1st time thru. Which has lead to my rather odd question but has there ever been an incidence where a podiatry school failed to register a student for their Boards and if so does anyone have any idea how this is addressed? Rather odd question but I appreciate any insight to the question.

I agree that being a C student doesn't mean you are going to fail boards if you haven't started studying yet. That's not really what I was trying to say. What I am saying is that you can usually tell who's going to be part of the group of 20 or so students that have trouble passing the exam by this time.... (in other words) who SHOULD be studying for them in advance. People who never really laid the foundation properly over the last two years. People who have to fight to stay alive every single exam week. If you busted your ass and are getting A's and B's right now you obviously have something rattling around in your brain for boards already. C's and remediators have some work to do.

not sure about that, most of the people i know at ocpm in the top half are complete mormons. labs and path case studies taught me that lol

not sure about that, most of the people i know at ocpm in the top half are complete mormons. labs and path case studies taught me that lol

Complete mormons?

as opposed to incomplete mormons, aka jack mormons.

Those incomplete mormons are the ones you really have to watch out for. Always selling crack cocaine to the naive 1st years in the student lounge. In between their foozeball matches of course.