Boards and beyond or class lectures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc mu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone , i was just wondering if i could use boards and beyond instead of going to lectures , i wanted to ask if boards and beyond could provide good conceptual understanding of the material and build a solid foundation or it should be only used as a second pass on material for review purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

Only finished MS1 so take this with a grain of salt. I found that it was super helpful in bringing things together, but did not have success in using it as a first pass or in place of lectures. Literally every word he says is pretty important and it was difficult for me to get without context. I found it helpful to go through lecture (2x speed, not really taking notes) and then go through BnB. I watched multiple times as opposed to taking notes in detail. I definitely made sure to go back over the videos in prep for midterms and finals.

Only finished MS1 so take this with a grain of salt. I found that it was super helpful in bringing things together, but did not have success in using it as a first pass or in place of lectures. Literally every word he says is pretty important and it was difficult for me to get without context. I found it helpful to go through lecture (2x speed, not really taking notes) and then go through BnB. I watched multiple times as opposed to taking notes in detail. I definitely made sure to go back over the videos in prep for midterms and finals.

You see the problem is my lectures are a joke i can't understand anything from them , literally nothing, so what do you think i should do ? Should i get a big text book like big robbins , guyton physiology (1000+ page texts that are generally used as reference books by students with good lecture material) and read those as my first pass through material?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you cannot understand anything from lectures then drop them and don't think twice about it. People will tell you that school lectures are essential for doing well in medical school, but there are dozens of users on SDN (including myself) who do not watch lectures and do very well.

I swap out my school lectures for Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, and Boards and Beyond. I watch every lecture, even if they are repetitive, on 1x speed, pausing very often and rewinding over and over, and not taking any notes. I get a good understanding of the material and then leave it to flashcards and q-banks to lock in all the details.

If you do this, you have to be okay with doing poorly on in-house exams. I used to score 2 standard deviations above average on exams, now score below average. However, I use NBME subject exams, q-banks, and case-based learning classes to dictate how I'm preparing compared to my peers.

okay i will stop with lectures then as i truly think they are useless , so you don't go through any big text ? even without the lectures? how is your strategy working out for you is it showing promise? also i am a non-US IMG so none really cares about my grades , i won't care about scoring below or above average on exams.