boards III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took part 3 today. Hopefully I passed because I don't want to sit thru that again.

Not too hard, but makes you want to shoot the people that made the test.

There were questions where you'd sware the writer was drunk and forgot to finish the question.

As long as I pass though I don't care what the test actually tests.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I have to take pt2 in a few months, so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pass pt3 before I graduate also.

That's great to hear they're just as flawlessly constructed as pt1. Can't wait... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I have to take pt2 in a few months, so I think I'm just gonna go ahead and pass pt3 before I graduate also.

That's great to hear they're just as flawlessly constructed as pt1. Can't wait... :rolleyes:

can you take part 3 before you graduate? I thought *speaking with no experience cause im not in school yet mind you* that you had part 1 second year and part 2 4th year...?

can you take part 3 before you graduate? I thought *speaking with no experience cause im not in school yet mind you* that you had part 1 second year and part 2 4th year...?
You're right about pt1 and pt2.

Part 3 is basically whenever you are ready. Some residencies (PA esp) will require you to pass pt3 before starting since you need it for a state license, so students heading there take it in May before graduating, like I plan to. Most people take pt3 during residency, though. The way I see it, the info (meds, pathology, surgery, etc) is largely the same as pt2, so why not just study once and get it over with? I was planning to wait until residency, but I found out you can't use CME money for NBPME exams.

If your planning on going to residency in Pennsylvania, be prepared for a wirlwind your last 3 months of pod school. My schedule was:

March '08-take Part II and Match Day
June '08- take Part III and graduate SCPM
Late June '08- got PA License
early July '08- got own DEA License

What's pretty sweet though is with your DEA you have full prescribing rights like an MD/DO. Also, no other interns or 1st yr residents have their own, they all use a hospital temporary license, so a lot of services love pods because when we rotate during our 1st yr we just write for whatever we want for the pts without bothering the chief residents or attendings.

You're right about pt1 and pt2.

Part 3 is basically whenever you are ready. Some residencies (PA esp) will require you to pass pt3 before starting since you need it for a state license, so students heading there take it in May before graduating, like I plan to. Most people take pt3 during residency, though. The way I see it, the info (meds, pathology, surgery, etc) is largely the same as pt2, so why not just study once and get it over with? I was planning to wait until residency, but I found out you can't use CME money for NBPME exams.

In virginia you have to complete a full year of residency before taking part 3.

And we used CME money for it.

If your planning on going to residency in Pennsylvania, be prepared for a wirlwind your last 3 months of pod school. My schedule was:

March '08-take Part II and Match Day
June '08- take Part III and graduate SCPM
Late June '08- got PA License
early July '08- got own DEA License

What's pretty sweet though is with your DEA you have full prescribing rights like an MD/DO. Also, no other interns or 1st yr residents have their own, they all use a hospital temporary license, so a lot of services love pods because when we rotate during our 1st yr we just write for whatever we want for the pts without bothering the chief residents or attendings.

I agree with you that it is pretty sweet when we are able to get our own DEA in the first year of residency training. When I rotated through General Surgery and Medicine services, the interns and residents loved us.

As for the schedule for people doing residency training in PA, I would add that you would need to obtain a PA state Podiatry License application from the PA state board right after the match. In order for someone to register for the Part III exam, one must have an active licensure application with the PA state board. If you are a student at TUSPM, you can simply get the application from the registrar office.

Took part 3 today. Hopefully I passed because I don't want to sit thru that again.

Not too hard, but makes you want to shoot the people that made the test.

There were questions where you'd sware the writer was drunk and forgot to finish the question.

As long as I pass though I don't care what the test actually tests.

I am sure that you did just fine on the Part 3 exam. There is a rumor that there might be some changes for the Part 3 exam in the future.