BoardsVitals peer % correct

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else struck by how high the %correct is on Boards Vitals? Most Q's are easy but we're talking >90% on most and >95% on many. Seems like human error alone (e.g. wrong click, misreading stem, etc.) would cause a >5% incorrect rate.

Mostly wondering because I keep being surprised by getting what I feel are pretty esoteric physics/rad safety Q's wrong but seeing 70-90% correct on these. Seems improbable to me, but maybe I'm just bad.

I guess I'm coming from RadPrimer where percentages were lower. Maybe that's because a lot of junior residents are using RadPrimer bringing % down?

Members don't see this ad.

Could be that. Could be people repeating the questions. Also when you take board vitals questions in “study mode” you can change your answer when you get it wrong so maybe that has an effect? (Don’t know if they only take percentages from the test modes or not, like with your personal metrics)

Could be that. Could be people repeating the questions. Also when you take board vitals questions in “study mode” you can change your answer when you get it wrong so maybe that has an effect? (Don’t know if they only take percentages from the test modes or not, like with your personal metrics)
I had some required Boards Vitals question sets during M2 and all of your points definitely affect the question stats for that specific product at least! I obviously cannot say it is definitely true for your questions as I am not a resident.

On another note, I was completely shocked to find out that BV for anesthesiology (and other specialties) have great questions to study for specialty boards/core even though their M1/M2 questions were frankly some of the worst questions one could possibly do, no exaggeration. Like a complete 180 between the two products from what I understand. Good to know as I would have blown them off based on my experience and their reputation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree the percent correct looks crazy high.

What is a good percentage on boardvitals to suggest a pass? I am averaging 74%, which is around 35th percentile on the qbank. Random and un-timed, but I am spending <40s per question. Just looking to pass this pointless exam.

I agree the percent correct looks crazy high.

What is a good percentage on boardvitals to suggest a pass? I am averaging 74%, which is around 35th percentile on the qbank. Random and un-timed, but I am spending <40s per question. Just looking to pass this pointless exam.
Wish I could tell you but since posting I can confirm that some percents are definitely off. I've seen multiple that don't come close to adding up to 100%. Really appreciate your feedback Gecko and Neopoly.

I'm assuming you're taking it Feb 8 like me, so I can't come back and let you know in time :/

All I can offer is this anecdotal post from the guy who scored the highest on the exam his year (awarded and honored by Prometheus Lionhart), where he mentioned the "estimated percentage of questions you should be getting right to pass the exam" from BoardVitals is "surprisingly reliable."

Reactions: 1 user
Retaking the question or even changing your answer choice in study mode affects personal metrics for me, so I assume it has the same effect on the global metrics. So, basically correcting wrong answers is probably why the % is so high. They way I used qbanks was to take all the questions then redo the ones I got wrong till I got them right. Then I would retake the smaller group I got wrong twice. Then again and again. So m personal metrics wound up being 100% even though this is highly inaccurate- I wonder if a lot of people doing this practice skews the BV metrics

I realize this post is a bit stale, but here are some encouraging words from BoardVitals themselves:

"Students that score near the average percent correct on our question banks consistently pass."

Radiology Exam Pass Percentiles
Board Vitals Radiology Board Review Pass Rate: 95.5%
National Average: 92%
Average Correct Percent In Our Qbank: 74%

So...I'd say if you're getting 74% on BoardVitals (first-time through), then you are likely to "consistently pass" the core. :)

I realize this post is a bit stale, but here are some encouraging words from BoardVitals themselves:

"Students that score near the average percent correct on our question banks consistently pass."

Radiology Exam Pass Percentiles
Board Vitals Radiology Board Review Pass Rate: 95.5%
National Average: 92%
Average Correct Percent In Our Qbank: 74%

So...I'd say if you're getting 74% on BoardVitals (first-time through), then you are likely to "consistently pass" the core. :)
I passed the exam, although I averaged 78% at the end, single pass. Still a poorly constructed test, in my opinion.